Apple iPhone UK Launch

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
O2 and Apple are launching the iPhone today, priced at £269 for the 8GB version. The BBC has a review and article on the launch:

"In the US it is known as the JesusPhone - because of the hysteria and hype that surrounds the device. But let's start with the disappointments - it is a 2G device and not 3G. Anyone expecting to use the phone to surf websites or access content over the mobile network will be in for a shock.

Graphics and picture-heavy websites take an age to load. But RSS feeds and mobile-friendly websites (such as news.bbc.co.uk/mobile) load quite quickly over the 2G Edge network that O2 offers. I also found it sufficiently speedy to send and receive e-mails on the go. Sadly, O2's Edge network only covers 30% of the country so if you are not in a major urban area, you will experience painfully slow data connections. "

Read the article at the BBC here.

Attachments

• iphone.jpg
    iphone.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 726

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
No 3G so its yesterdays technology today then...Whats up with Apple, can't see the point of that, I have heard the Safari browser is nice to use, and obviously theres the MP3 player..

But the masses will buy it in there thousands anyway just for the pose value alone..Me! I'll wait ti'll something else comes along..

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's the 3G that puts me off it (well, and the price!). You'd think that something with such a good browser should be 3G!

No doubt that is the plan for iPhone v2 :D

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
when i used this phone in america, i found texting using the touch keyboard impossible, the keys were too small so you would end up pressing the wrong letter. Writing on a standard phone i found was much easier. I think that and the camera are the two weaknesses the Iphone has and the price, the rest of the phone is great though

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I would consider it - but lack of 3G is a deciding factor for me, so I am looking at the HTC Touch instead :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I was tempted by this but lack of coverage by O2 and the price tag of £269.00 put me off. So now I learn it's only 2G.

This makes me think you've got to be some kind of serious poser to buy one of these.

And I may have mentioned this before but as well as me not being able to receive the O2 network in my own home I couldn't get a signal from them in the O2.

The O2, of course, is that big venue built for the year 2000 just down the road from me that resembles an upside down wok :)

No O2 in the O2? Something of a faux-pas mais oui? ;)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
its probably worth a mention that the camera is a very basic 2MP jobbie, it cant even do video

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Heres a good article on the phone and it gives links to enable you to reset the phone so that you can use it with any service provider .
Seems a bit daft to me . Why spend all that money on a phone a holiday sounds like a much better idea .

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/09/24/review_apple_iphone/

happywave.gif
True - but you need to be careful as if you allow Apple updates on the phone it is at risk of being zapped and rendered useless as a result.

Better to wait for the French launch, where by competition law they have to provide unlocked versions :thumb:

Ask a Question