AOL 9.0 keeps disconnecting internet explorer, and other programmes

Jon

I have AOL 9.0 and about 2 weeks ago it started
disconnecting ALL of my other programmes that use the
internet. However, I was still able to go into AOL and
speak to their online hlep, which suggests there is still
a connection.

I think that this happens after about 5-10 minutes,
though sometimes not for 30mins.

Can someone suggest what the problem is other than all of
the AOL tips, which I've tried and have failed to resolve
the problem

JD

I already have, tried everything they have suggested. I
believe it is not AOL itself that is the problem, but
possibly a configuration in Windows that is causing the
problem. So I've come here for possible solutions

Tom

AOL is the problem, and if you didn't get the help from AOL techs, then how you would suspect it is Windows is beyond me. Do yourself a favor, and save money; get an ISP that doesn't require you to install crapware that it proprietary, and that takes over how "they" want Windows to work. I consider AOL software the largest legally written virus in the world.

But if you do decide to get rid of AOL, you would more than likely need to format a totally reinstall Windows to get rid of the all invasive crapware AOL reaps upon your operating system.

Plato

JD said:
I already have, tried everything they have suggested. I
believe it is not AOL itself that is the problem, but
possibly a configuration in Windows that is causing the
problem. So I've come here for possible solutions

It's really time you dissed AOL and got a better, less intrusive ISP.
You'll save $120 bucks/year right off the bat also.

Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP]

Tom said:
But if you do decide to get rid of AOL, you would more than likely
need to format a totally reinstall Windows to get rid of the all
invasive crapware AOL reaps upon your operating system.

Actually, I think AOL has gotten "better" about that (if there can be such a
thing). I just uninstalled AOL 8 and AOL 9 from my daughter's laptop to put
her back on a dialup ISP. AOL uninstalled very cleanly and she hasn't had
any problems on dialup.

Tom

Kathleen Anderson said:
Actually, I think AOL has gotten "better" about that (if there can be such a
thing). I just uninstalled AOL 8 and AOL 9 from my daughter's laptop to put
her back on a dialup ISP. AOL uninstalled very cleanly and she hasn't had
any problems on dialup.

Cool, first time I have read anything positive from AOL :)!

Cyrus Afzali

Actually, I think AOL has gotten "better" about that (if there can be such a
thing). I just uninstalled AOL 8 and AOL 9 from my daughter's laptop to put
her back on a dialup ISP. AOL uninstalled very cleanly and she hasn't had
any problems on dialup.

I would disagree with that, and don't just say that as a typical AOL
basher. Now that I'm no longer a subscriber, I can say I beta tested
the last two versions extensively, and something happened after 9.0
went gold that made it faulty for a lot of people.

I kept hanging on as a subscriber because I liked their AOL Radio
service, and was willing to pay $15 a month to have high-quality music
streamed to my laptop, plus back-up e-mail, etc. All the sudden, it
stopped working, despite numerous attempts to repair. I know of
several others who had to drop the service for similar reasons, and
AOL techs confirmed that as well.

That will harm their prospects as a service, because they need people
like me who have broadband connections, but are willing to pay for the
content. If they can't get the software straightened out, it doesn't
bode well.

John Ski

Subject: Re: AOL 9.0 keeps disconnecting internet explorer, and other
programmes
From: Hilary Karp (e-mail address removed)
Date: 7/19/2004 3:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time

Get rid of AOL. Worse piece of junk spyware out there.
If you're too clueless to help with the problem, keep your opinions to
yourself. I sincerely doubt the OP gives a rat's a** what you think of AOL.

Cheers,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Hilary Karp

Nor do I care about yours so follow your own advise. The worst
hypocrite is one who does what he complains that others do.

Jone Doe

You got the only good answer there is. AOL has problems, and like Real
Player, tries to take over everything with disasterous results. Get rid of
it, or go ask in an AOL newsgroup.

Les Herrman

You got the only good answer there is. AOL has problems, and like Real
Player, tries to take over everything with disasterous results. Get rid of
it, or go ask in an AOL newsgroup.

And to top it off, AOL installs Real Player when it installs too.

R. McCarty

There is the perception that Microsoft wants to control your PC.
By that I mean, use Media Player, IE, Messenger as the defaults.

However, in terms of proprietary setup & operation - AOL wins ,
by default. I'm not sure which is easier, to cancel your subscription
with AOL or get the software off your PC.

I actually charge a higher hourly rate for any PC that uses AOL
or even pass on the job. That's because AOL customers seem to
be like gum on your shoe. You can't ever get them fixed up where
it stays fixed. (Sorry AOL, but your day has come & gone).

Plato

R. McCarty said:
However, in terms of proprietary setup & operation - AOL wins ,
by default. I'm not sure which is easier, to cancel your subscription
with AOL or get the software off your PC.

They seem to put all cancel requests in the circular file. A
recommendation is to
send them a letter saying you want to cancel, yes they have an address
for that, but
make a few copies of it as you'll have to use them to send to your
credit card company.

You'll have to be firm with your credit card company as well, tell them
if they dont remove the current charge and prevent AOL from charging
further they'll be next in the cancel line. With all the competition for
credit card accounts now hey talk about regular mail spam credit card
companies win but they are bending over backwards to get new business.

Heck my main credit card company noticed I wasn't using it as much so
they popped me a letter asking me to call them if there was any problem
and also reduced my interest rate by 2%.