Anyone got a Toyota RAV4?

Reaction score
Has anyone got a Toyota RAV4?
Thinking of buying one and wondered if anyone had one & what they thought.
Cheers in advance.:thumb:

Reaction score
My Nan has

Its a 1999(??) T reg...

Not overly impressed to be honest. Its uncomfortable, feels tacky and the battery always goes flat... nothing special.

The new shape ones are probably much better.

Its also full time 4x4 so probably relatively thirsty, my nan has the 2.0 petrol auto one...

Oh and its rubbish for tall people - my nans husband cant drive it because he is too tall.

What kind of car you after - do you go off roading lots?

Reaction score
After a 2.0 vvt-i xt3 5 door.
Got a possible deal on a used one, could save a few £££.
Just want to get as much info as possible today before deciding if to buy tomorrow.

Reaction score
From Parkers:

Toyota
RAV4 (00 on)
2.0 XT3 5d

+− General
Production: 01 Oct 2003 until now
Length: 4265 mm
Width: 1785 mm
Weight: 1377 kg
Fuel Delivery: Multi point fuel injection
Transmission: Manual
Gears: 5 Speed

+− Performance
Engine Size: 1998 cc
Cylinders: 4
Power Output: 147 bhp
Valves: 16
Torque: 192 Nm
Top Speed: 115 mph

MPG: 32
Or

Toyota
RAV4 (00 on)
2.0 XT3 Style Collection 3d Auto

Production: 01 Nov 2003 until now
Length: 3870 mm
Width: 1785 mm
Weight: 1296 kg
Fuel Delivery: Multi point fuel injection
Transmission: Auto
Gears: 4 Speed

+− Performance
Engine Size: 1998 cc
Cylinders: 4
Power Output: 147 bhp
Valves: 16
Torque: 192 Nm
Top Speed: 109 mph

MPG: 30

There are more XT3 versions availiable... 0-60 expect it to be about 11 seconds.

Both the VVTi units - the 1.8 and 2.0 - are willing and work well, the 123bhp 1.8 in the front-wheel-drive NV is based on the MR2 and Celica unit. It's reasonably economical, returning a Combined fuel consumption figure of 38.2mpg. It's quick for a 4x4 too - with a 0-60mph time of 12.2 seconds. But the main petrol unit is the 147bhp two-litre. It's swift (0-60mph in 10.9 seconds), but less refined than the 1.8 and fuel consumption is 32.1mpg. Diesel buyers can opt for the 2.0 D-4D, it's lively enough for most people, is quite refined and gives 39.8mpg.

and

Despite its height and chunky tyres, RAV-4 corners with confidence. The power-assisted steering is light, making it easy to park, but on the road it feels over-assisted and lacks feel. Well-spaced ratios make for slick gearchanges, but it’s hampered by a notchy gearbox.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'll defer till I hear from the ... experience, knowledge & wisdom ... of the motor mechanic, itsme

;)

Reaction score
Rav4 2.0 VVT-i XT3 5 Door, Petrol (Auto) 2005 @ £14,995
Are the auto's worth more than the diesel versions?

Arbour thinks it's a good deal, but going on his last car he does not make good choices! Hence he needs help. In fact one car ended it's life on a low-loader:eek:

Last edited:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
I don't know much about cars, but John's daughter has one & his son, who is a mechanic & is also very heavy into 4 wheel driving, has been driving it the last couple of weeks. He said that it drives surprisingly smooth but eats petrol like nothing else. he he had to fil the tank again just after comming out here (& back) for a visit. One visit out here cost him 1/3 of John's weekly petrol costs & John drives back & fourth twice a day in his integra.

Reaction score
It should be the case arbour goes for a Rav4, have had the last few days of him pestering me with emails on what to buy. What do i know i only buy 4x4's built near Birmingham!!

I think the resoning is that the auto petrol will be better on short runs/

Reaction score
Ok first off > go for> diesel > auto > 5door> cloth trim> metallic paintwork > low mileage > FSH is a must! check for fair wear and tear? That is to say depending on the year of production> price???????? Exact model????? I would like to know more about this vehicle:wall: but you ain`t supplying it;)

On the other hand if you want a more dependable/rugged 4x4 that will outlast a Rav4, have a 2.5/2.8 Tdi auto 5door Mitsubishi Pajero:nod: I have and you will not get many better 4x4`s:)

Reaction score
I

Can't

Stand

Automatics

*sorry, rant over*

You will get less miles to the gallon from an automatic, and it will noticably slower off the mark than the manual. If you only do short runs, that will cut into the MPG yet again - my mum has a 1.8 Auto 306 and gets 300 to a tank from £60 of unleaded. Because she only drives short distances and its an auto.

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
I

Can't

Stand

Automatics

*sorry, rant over*

You will get less miles to the gallon from an automatic, and it will noticably slower off the mark than the manual. If you only do short runs, that will cut into the MPG yet again - my mum has a 1.8 Auto 306 and gets 300 to a tank from £60 of unleaded. Because she only drives short distances and its an auto.

You can drive an auto just like a manual> 1st> 2nd> 3rd> 4th> 5th/overdrive and of course reverse:D
with a large vehicle an auto is best?:nod: stick your left leg???:lol:

Reaction score
I used to prefer manuals, but with a lot of city driving an auto is better.
I'm used to manuals but find as i have knee trouble an auto is easier, but the enjoyment of changing down a gear can still be had by driving as itsme mention by using the auto box as gears.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Even for the short hauls it eats petrol. He's been driving it around town for 2 weeks & spent most of the time he was out here on his last two visits ranting about how much petrol it used if he wasn't replacing the suspension on his truck he wouldn't touch the thing. (you should see the new suspension he's putting in by the way :eek: usually he drives around all sorts of s*tty mountains & stuff. The new suspension will raise his base so high he'll be driving right over the things without even seeing them!)

Reaction score
I drive an auto on a regular basis, so know about using the manual gear control... but its just...not...the...same :(

on the kickdown it generally drops 2 gears not 1 which i dont like, and general driving you cant really hold a gear when it wants to drop.

i like driving manual. unless im stuck a traffic jam which is the only time i really appreciate an auto. Or dads Volvo which bites a cm off the floor so you dont need to move left leg much

Ask a Question