Anyone else doing nanowrimo this year?

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
nanowrimo = write a 50 000 word novel in the month of november
If you succeed they will provide you with a printed/bound copy if you so wish (you are allowed to tidy it up & edit it first).
so far about 60 000 people all around the world have signed up for it this year.

My daughter has been doing it every year since she was 14 & had won 3 times, now that she will be 18 by nov she will be the official 'Municipal Liason' for Otago-Southland and is doing brilliantly at organising all the get-togethers & write-ins, not to mention the day off party & the 'TGIO' (Thank god it's over') party at the end of November. I've been quite impressed all around as she's been going around making deals with managers & marketing directors etc in town organising all of this. She has people of all ages from all around the two regions signed up, plus she will be writing a novel herself as well. Very proud :D
So, anyway, I've always been the supportive - encouraging parent/teacher before but I've not actually done it myself :blush:
So, this year I'm going to tackle the challenge, although I won't be going along with all the activities etc as there is nothing so undermining to a leader's authority as to have your Mum tagging along. And I'll be doing the young writers section with my son who is dyslexic. Kids 12yo & under can set their own word limit so it'll be good motivation for him to practice his writing.

If there's anyone else who's doing it or thinking of doing it I'd love to hear about your ideas, plans, characters and whatever plot bunnies you might have cooking that you're willing to share.
Remember, chances are there's nothing that hasn't been written or filmed or gamed before so don't write off a concept because there's some other book based of the same idea out there. So long as it's your own story that's all that matters.

So, I'm thinking of writing an anti-hero character caught up in a war for a cause he doesn't care about in a fantasy-sci fi type setting... work type commitments have kept me from getting too much specific planning done, but that's probably not a bad thing. My biggest fault when writing, & the reason I seldom finish anything longer than 5 chapters, is my tendency to micro edit. I'm hoping this will kick me out of that, help me remember that a 'rough draft' is just that & doesn't have to be perfect & teach me to be less controlling of my characters.
Spontanaeity! ;)

Anyone else....?

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
you is barking

I admire you spunk for taking on such a task, I can manage a page or two a month and that's got nothing to do with a book.

:lol: :bow: :p

Floppy should be good to go, he got around 49,000 in his Friday blog. :nod:

have fun :wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good luck to you and your offsping madam :thumb:

I've been meaning to write a book for the past ** years :D

I keep getting ideas, usually when driving, but they evaporate and I forget them.

The last idea I had was for a case of road rage developing into an English Civil War and the exploits thereof of both sides. It would outline the doubts, fears, passion and violence of a society plunged back to medieval times in a modern and urban setting.

I had a really strong plot worked out.

But I've forgotten it now :blush:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Thanks mucks, I'll try. Somewhere about here I think :user: :wall: :lol: :eek: :lol: :nice man with a pretty white jacket with funny sleeves for me to wear: :wave:

Flops I love your idea, you should give it a go. I know I'd read it and you never know, there's a few nano novels that've ended up published and quite a few professional authors who started or re-started their careers there.

Ask a Question