Any Linux Users Here?

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
RichardinUK said:
Hey there Cache-Man,

Just a thought, have you got a version of VMWare 4 or above? I like ver 5, but any will do really, Instead of having to dual-boot, you could point the Virtual machine at a native install, like you have, and make use of the Linux features as and when you feel you want, web server, ftp server, smtp etc?

Just an idea?

Anyway, all the best regards

Rich
No, I dont have VMWare, i just use the dual boot thing that comes with my linux distro. I does sound interesting though, so i might have to investigate into it a bit further.

Reaction score
Hey there,

Trying to PM you with my ftp server and login details, site won't let me :(

Any ideas.

All the best

Rich

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
There is a seven day wait period for new members before you're allowed to PM - just an automated thing to help prevent the forum with spamming. I think you can e-mail me from within my profile though - just click on my avatar and that will take you there.
Cheers

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Just mailed you the details.

Sorry for being paranoid, but the details are split over two mails.

Best regards

Rich

Reaction score
I have tested VMWARE GSX in the past,

It's got a bigger overhead than the likes of UML / Virtuozzo / Xen

I have found Virtuozzo to be the best 'Virtual' linux base for a machine, but if you see how much it costs, it might make you gasp.

I generally use any or all of the linux's below on my servers for liquidpulse;

~ Debian 3
~ RedHat 9.1
~ CentOS 3.4 / 4 ( i religiously stick to this at the moment )
~ Fedora Core's 1 / 2 / 3

Chris,

Reaction score
Hey Chris,

I would agree 100% with what you have said, and yup, it is dear, where as the VMware is free (for a period) and on a good spec lappy / desktop, should suit for testing and familiarisation. The user is able to be in an environemt he has got to know and thumbs held trust, should there be a mistake, siply delete the file, no more install, and off we go again. I use it for the pen testing as I can never have poluted resultes, clean install and I just give the client the file and he knows I have no sensitive info left on my lappy.

The fedora releases have let me down a load, the 2.6.x kerenel I've found to be exceptionally flacky, and I won't even shoot myself in the foot and mention the unmentionable. SCO United Linux heaven forbid, I used to work for them (My Bad)

But in the enterprise, yup, you are correct through and through.

all the best

Rich

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
RichardinUK said:
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Just mailed you the details.

Sorry for being paranoid, but the details are split over two mails.

Best regards

Rich
Thanks for letting me have access to your server, it was most kind. However, the files are a little too large for me, as i currently connect through dial-up - It would take me all week to download. I do get broadband at the the end of june when our exchange gets upgraded, so i think i'll definately give it a try then.
Thanks again. :)

Reaction score
No probs,

just give me a bleat when you want access and I'll re- activate the acount. On second thoughts, want me to burn a CD?

Have a great day

Rich

Reaction score
US Robotics External modem 5630B works under Linux correctly

Quadophile said:
These are the modems that I use which failed to work with Linux

US Robotics 56K External Faxmodem model 5630

I just bought the US Robotics 5630B External Hard modem. At first I had some problems with it under Linux (my OS is Mandrake 10.1). I started to search information how to initialaze it and found your message that it does not work in Linux. I was very sad. But I was told that hard modem must work. So I visited several Russian forums where I am from and got the answer.

1. At first you have to configure your COM-port. The best way for it to use minicom program. You have to set the baud rate of the COM-port 115200 and you have to have UART at least 16550A (details are here http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html ).
2. Then you have to configure your kppp program in this way:
a) authorisation PAP/CHAP
b) device: /dev/ttyS* (your COM-port, may be /dev/ttyS0), [CRTSCTS], CR/LF, 115200, use lock-file -yes, timeout of modem - 120 s;
c) modem: commands (most important!): change only init string 1 to:
AT&F1&B1&A3E0Q0V1&C1&D2&P1S0=0
(this is very specific string was found in .inf file of Windows driver on the CD that was in the box; perhaps the settings fot your country can be different, let you see the Windows driver init string, init 1 or init 2, if init 1 is just AT command). You have to choice also ATDT or ATDP.
d) different: timeout of pppd I would reccomend to set at least 30 sec.

It works correctly. I have the good speed 50K and very stable connection.

So I found that we can use the information from Win-drivers.

Have good use of the modem.
Regards, Dmitry, Saint-Petersburg

Reaction score
DeeInLondon said:
And if so what Distro do you like?

I like Knoppix and a lot of the one based on it, but still not found a version of Linux that installs on my PC and works as easily as windows.
Use Red Hat on all my servers, nothing at home now except my IPCop box. Actually, I have a Gentoo rig in my closet as I stole some parts from her.

I don't use a window manager, as I manage everything via SSH/HTTPS. I have to use Windows XP on my main rig as my job requires it, but I game anyway and I actually like Windows XP for desktop use. Tried most of the distros on the desktop, but nothing has stuck around. Would like to get into Gentoo again, I had a lot of fun with Stage 1. :D

Reaction score
gentoo is def worth a shot (esp if you want nice looking desktop),. for server boxes I used debian (with no window manager) :)

Sil

Ask a Question