Any help with my damn router :(?

Reaction score
Hey there i know that this site isnt really made for networking questions like this but i remember using my sisters account some years ago and you all were a great help! So i come before you once again a desperate and lowly student in need of help :blush:

My problem basically is i just brought a Netgear DG834 router as i want to be able to have my Xbox 360 and PC and Laptop all able to run the net at once. Thing is ive plugged it all in (i use the smaller version of ethernert cable to connect the router to the wall socket dont know the exact name of it basically a smaller version of an ethernet and fits in fine into the socket) and it detects my PC fine just not the internet, everything is connected as normal but the green internet sign wont light up.

Ive done all the things that friends have advised like typing in the default access number into the web browser but it detects nothing.

Would be much appreciated for any help! Cheers

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Have you entered your ISP details into the damn router?

It needs your damn user name, damn isp address and damn password, minimum.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Have you entered your ISP details into the damn router?

It needs your damn user name, damn isp address and damn password, minimum.

I did all these things you said before coming here and i wont say "damn" again i promise :)

Oh and also one other thing to mention is that it has a single wall socket connection that takes ethernet, RJ 45s as its in a halls of residence

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ergol said:
I did all these things you said before coming here and i wont say "damn" again i promise :)

I'm only jesting ;)

Have you tried a hard reset on the router and re-entering your details? That sometimes works.

Other than that, this isn't a subject I'm terribly knowledgable of, hopefully somebody else here can help you.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Yer tried all that sadly to no avail i guess it is because im in a halls of residence at uni but i had a house mate that managed to get his working. remember him mentioning subnet and ip stuff but sadly he quit Uni a few months into his course......But thanks for your help mate :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So can you gain access to the routers setup via the browser?

You are doing the setup via a cable and not trying via wireless aren't you?

Reaction score
Yes to the first question it just doesnt want to detect the internet connection which is 100% there because im using it right now via a direct link with an ethernet cable.

And yep to the 2nd question via a cable

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah i see, sorry you confused me by saying DG834 as that isn't a wireless router. ;)

Lets start with the basics, microfilters etc?

Sure you have the correct pass etc for the ISP?

who is the ISP?

Reaction score
Ah my bad well the reason i didnt want a wireless router because if its found in halls that people are linked to it id probably have my net removed.

Theres no microfilter as there is no phone line so the router is directly connected into the wall via a Rj 45 i think?

Ive entered the details from the router half a dozen times i get past the admin and password bit with no problem its just once i've gotten to the internet connection part it wont detect anything.

How can i find out whos the ISP? Ipconfig right?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah i see, not as straight forward as i first thought....

So you have ethernet ports on the walls? If so then they will usually be use for a direct connection to the pc iirc, the socket that you usually connect the router to the wall is RJ11 (the plug that is smaller than Ethernet (RJ45))

Not sure how you would go about this, though, some halls want payment for each machine connected etc, or so i've read.

Sorry but i cant help you, maybe contact the network admins?

Reaction score
Dear Ergol,
So I can get a clear picture: you have a new router that is plugged into a wall jack? And your Xbox and PC are plugged into the router? When you setup the admin configuration did you set the router to DHCP? That will automatically give your computer and xbox an IP usually 192.168.x.x. The next step would be to find out where the wall jack's connection leads to? Are you in a dorm room where the wall jacks may have security?

Reaction score
Yer your right about the RJ11 and yer about the payment doubt the admins will help their not the nicest people but i got a friend coming round next week to hava look and hes a wizz kid so ill keep you informed if it gets solved and how!
All your helps been appreciated :)

Reaction score
routergal said:
Dear Ergol,
So I can get a clear picture: you have a new router that is plugged into a wall jack? And your Xbox and PC are plugged into the router? When you setup the admin configuration did you set the router to DHCP? That will automatically give your computer and xbox an IP usually 192.168.x.x. The next step would be to find out where the wall jack's connection leads to? Are you in a dorm room where the wall jacks may have security?

Yep a wall jack. But just the PC at the moment is plugged into the router ( i guessed its best to see if the PC will work if so then the xbox would surely follow) Not so sure about setting it to DHCP dont exactly know how i would go about doing that. I dont think theres security as i can literally plug an RJ45 or RJ11 and no password is needed.

Ask a Question