Any fingerprint unlocks Galaxy S10, Samsung warns

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Oh dear!

"A flaw that means any fingerprint can unlock a Galaxy S10 phone has been acknowledged by Samsung.
It promised a software patch that would fix the problem.
The issue was spotted by a British woman whose husband was able to unlock her phone with his fingerprint just by adding a cheap screen protector."

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Wow, that's not good is it? I know a few people who have this model.

I'll try not to be too smug when I meet them. :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
"The issue was spotted by a British woman whose husband was able to unlock her phone with his fingerprint just by adding a cheap screen protector."
Divorce proceedings are now being processed.

;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Samsung's official statement:

Regarding recent reports of a fingerprint recognition issue affecting certain Galaxy devices, we would like to inform our customers of the following information.

This issue involved ultrasonic fingerprint sensors unlocking devices after recognizing 3-dimensional patterns appearing on certain silicone screen protecting cases as users’ fingerprints.

To prevent any further issues, we advise that Galaxy Note10/10+ and S10/S10+/S10 5G users who use such covers to remove the cover, delete all previous fingerprints and newly register their fingerprints.

If you currently use front screen protective covers, to ensure optimum fingerprint scanning, please refrain from using this cover until your device has been updated with a new software patch.

A software update is planned to be released as early as next week, and once updated, please be sure to scan your fingerprint in its entirety, so that the all portions of your fingerprint, including the center and corners have been fully scanned.

Thank you for your patience and we will strive to continuously improve product and service experiences for our users.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This seems like a horrendous bug, especially as it really does look like it's as bad as it sounds:

That's access to a phone with supposedly "trusted" encryption that will authenticate for banking apps, paypal, onboard encryption etc...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
...and if they can't fix it with a software patch we're looking at a recall ala the Note 7.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
This seems like a horrendous bug, especially as it really does look like it's as bad as it sounds:

That's access to a phone with supposedly "trusted" encryption that will authenticate for banking apps, paypal, onboard encryption etc...
With the older Samsung and Apple phones with the silver ring around the finger print area you had to be a living human to open the phone on the fact the reader would read electrical current coming from your body.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I had the Galaxy S10e which I traded in for a Pixel 3a last week. The camera on Pixel is absolutely fantastic however the phone, on the whole, is not a match for the Galaxy which is twice the price of the one I got. I just wanted to test the pixel to see what the hype was with regards to the camera. ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah Pixel camera is amazing, but the phones are overpriced. Just look at the 4 XL. I really wanted one but it pains me too spend that much on one. I'm waiting to see what they do for Black Friday.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah Pixel camera is amazing, but the phones are overpriced. Just look at the 4 XL. I really wanted one but it pains me too spend that much on one. I'm waiting to see what they do for Black Friday.

I had done some research and found out that the Pixel 3a was made by HTC and 4 xl was made by LG. LG phones made for Google had issues but HTC had a good reputation. Secondly, I also read that Pixel 4 and 4 xl have issues that need to be addressed by Google. So it is sincerely advised that you hold off and continue to monitor the situation before you get it. Just my .02 cents

Ask a Question