Antivirus for windows 2000 server

Reaction score
I have one windows 2000 server running and two client PC. I was looking for antivirus. Most antivirus that i checked for server has more than one license. In other word i can only find the one that control server and all the client pc. I already have antivirus installed on both client computer, so i don't need antivirus for my client PC.
Is it possible to get antivirus just for the server?
Thanks

Reaction score
Sorry about that. For now I am hosting my own web site (so web browser) and file sharing enable. Will that help.
thanks

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ah, so basically it is just another 'PC' but you are running Win Server OS

In that case, something like KIS will do ... cheaper and a lot easier to setup.

A 'real' server's AV will be able to monitor, and protect, all 'Workstations' connected to itself. No need to run AV on workstations unless they too have direct access to the Internet, which they should not.

:user:

Reaction score
Thanks muckshifter.
When you mentioned "all workstation" connected to itself, What do you mean by "itself"? Does that mean all workstation connected to server?

By the way my this server and two client machine is hooked up with router and router to dsl modem and dsl modem to ISP. I am not using Internet connection sharing option. All this Machine connect to internet through router.

So what do you think? Does my workstation have direct access to the internet? Reason i am asking you this question is, so that i can decide whether i need AV on all this workstation or not.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry, you just do not have a Server, per-say ... you just have a network.

Any PC, no matter what the OS, needs some sort of AV, protection, if directly connected to the Internet.

You will have to pay for an AV program for Windows Server. ;)

:thumb:

Reaction score
you are right I just don't have a server but have a network too.

Both my workstation is already loaded with antivirus which i paid for.

I still haven't got my answer though.

All I was looking for is, IS there any workstation antivirus that also works for windows 2000 server too?

As for example norton antivirus 2007 only works for workstaion (xp, vista) but doesn't work for windows 2000 server.

Kaspersky Open Space Security works but It is expensive in the sense that i can't even get its full use. (as all these come with workstation and server combined and i already have AV on both my workstation).

Thanks for helping out muckshifter.

Ask a Question