antivirus 2008 XP

SUE

Hi There
Has anyone had this appear on there computer I know its a rogue program but
how do I get rid of it.
Its a pest I have Norton Internet security 2008 but that does not report
this rogue program.
It just pops up everywhere and am afraid that it will compromise my system.
Any help would be helpful.
Thanks in advance

Sue

Sue

Hi
Thanks everyone this has helped and cleared the nasty program
Thanks once angain
Sue

Milo

For Advisory parallel to this concern

Its becoming common this days just be advised about links attached via
e-mails, IM message and private message on social networking site that point
out/convey links
and suddenly you can be prompted by a flash update, download or codec...
Anti-virus 2008 is just one of 3 end product malwares that comes with the
package the most visible on is ANtivirus 2008.

See this instances

http://blog.trendmicro.com/new-trojan-bait-cnn-videos/

oblique1

Hi,

I've also been infected with this .. yeah through an email from
microsoft.com .. should have been more alert I guess .. but anyway its way
from fixed.

I was able to disable the thing and delete part of it, but I think i've made
things worse somehow becaues bits and pieces of it are still hanging on ...

For example:

My desktop has been replaced by an Anti-virus message that I can't shift.
Also, I can no longer access my screen savers because when I go through
control panel to set the screen saver I get this message "Your system
administrator has disabled launching of the Display Settings Control Panel".
So I can't change any settings ... Its also now prompting me for passwords
every time i get an email .. JEEZ!!

I'm having trouble installing the malware program that was recommended ...

Can someone please put me in the right direction :)

thanks in advance for any good advice...

Kayman

Hi,
I've also been infected with this .. yeah through an email from
microsoft.com .. should have been more alert I guess .. but anyway its way
from fixed.
I was able to disable the thing and delete part of it, but I think i've made
things worse somehow becaues bits and pieces of it are still hanging on ...

How to remove Antivirus XP 2008 (Uninstall Instructions)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-antivirus-xp-2008
--or--
XP (Vista) Antivirus 2008 Removal Instructions (Antivirus XP 2008)
http://www.xp-vista.com/spyware-removal/xp-antivirus-2008-removal-instructions-xp-antivirus-2008
--or--
How to remove XP Antivirus 2008, XP Antivirus 2009, and XPAntiVirus
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-xp-antivirus-2008-2009
and/or--
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware

In future:
Routinely practice Safe-Hex!
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
Hundreds Click on 'Click Here to Get Infected' Ad

Maurice N ~ MVP

Be extremely careful about any email that claims or appears to look to be
from Microsoft that has email attachments.
There are a number of fake emails from admin (at) microsoft (dot) com
MS never ever sends unsolicited items by email.

On the rogue message, if still present, use press and hold ALT key, then
press F4 function key to get it closed.

Since it appears you have residual infection issues, let me suggest you get
guided help.

Read the topmost directions at one of the following forums
and post your logs as required by that forum.
Do NOT post your logs here on the MS newsgroups.

http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html,
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewforum.php?f=11
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showforum=18
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewf...p://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7, http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22or other appropriate forums for expert analysis, not here.**Make very sure you read and follow the very topmost instructions at theforum you have selected.--Maurice NMS-MVP--"oblique1" <[email protected]> wrote in messageHi,>> I've also been infected with this .. yeah through an email from> microsoft.com .. should have been more alert I guess .. but anyway its way> from fixed.>> I was able to disable the thing and delete part of it, but I think i'vemade> things worse somehow becaues bits and pieces of it are still hanging on...>> For example:>> My desktop has been replaced by an Anti-virus message that I can't shift.> Also, I can no longer access my screen savers because when I go through> control panel to set the screen saver I get this message "Your system> administrator has disabled launching of the Display Settings ControlPanel".> So I can't change any settings ... Its also now prompting me for passwords> every time i get an email .. JEEZ!!>> I'm having trouble installing the malware program that was recommended ...>> Can someone please put me in the right direction :)>> thanks in advance for any good advice...>

John Barnett MVP

Download and Install Malwarebytes Anti Malware. Run the application and this
should pick up and remove the problem. (www.malwarebytes.org)

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

Paul Montgomery

I'll 2nd this suggestion. MalwareBytes is a very nice program for
getting rid of pesky virii that other AV programs miss.

I'll have to take everyone's word on this: I've never HAD a virus or
malware infestation in 17+ years online - and I've never had any
protection program find one before it infested - so I don't know from
experience if it's better than others or not.

oblique1

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm finally free of the thing! Ended up
getting the Microsoft OneCare in addition to the malwarebytes program, so
hjopefully this will turn out ok. In future, I certainly won't be opening any
email ... even if they're from microsoft.com

thanks again for the advice:)

FromTheRafters

.... and me, fresh out of medals to award.

Novel way to advertise a service. So I consider this as ******SPAM****

Peter Foldes

That is why that same post is posted to at least 12 other newsgroups that I can see

mikeyhsd

as was about 12 other messages, which no one complained about.

(e-mail address removed)

That is why that same post is posted to at least 12 other newsgroups that I can see