ANN: SP2 is live!

Geoff Schwab [MSFT]

Greetings,

I am happy to announce that Service Pack 2 (SP2) of the .NET Compact
Framework is now available for download at the following locations.

..NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP2 Redistributable (Re-release)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...DA-FC5D-41CC-AC04-7BB50A134556&displaylang=en

..NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP2 Developer Redistributable (Re-release)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...43-09B3-46D8-BA28-BC494BC20D26&displaylang=en

The following is the list of fixes and modifications:

Performance & Other Improvements List:
- Improved performance of many data tasks, including populating DataSets,
searching DataTables, DataSet.ReadXml() method when a schema is used,
finding and indexing operations, setting DataSet.EnableConstraints property
- Improved resource loading performance
- Minor GUI performance improvements
- Extend keyboard events to be enabled on all controls (Control.KeyUp,
KeyDown, KeyPress)
- Added support for ForeColor &/or BackColor for Button, Checkbox,
ComboBox, DomainUpDown, Label, Listbox, ListView, NumericUpDown,
RadioButton, Trackbar, TreeView
- Added support for new Smartphone languages: Finnish, Czech, Romanian,
Slovakian, Norwegian, Hungarian, Polish, Turkish, Russian
- Improved Control.Enabled and Control.Parent property changing performance
- Support menu hotkeys on Pocket PC
- Support raising context menus from assigned hardware key, Pocket PC
- Tab support for Pocket PC based on Z-Order
- XmlTextReader performance improvements

Defect Fix List:
- Fixed crash when SQLClient or SQLServerCe is installed.
- DataRowCollection.Find() method throws wrong exception
- Fixed erroneous parsing of HttpWebRequest response stream
- Form does not get the focus when all controls are removed from the form
- InputPanel Button disappears from MainMenu on Pocket PC 2002
- InputPanel's EnabledChanged Event fires inspite of setting the enabled
property to the same value.
- IrDAClient.DiscoverDevices device names garbled
- Memory leak in the NumericUpDown, DomainUpDown, ComboBox and TextBox
controls
- Native Exception occurs when using the get accessor for Control.Capture
- Navigation bar flickers when new form is being loaded.
- ObjectDisposedException occurs when DataBinding a control to a form shown
via Show()
- OK button eventually goes away when re-using recycled form for
ShowDialog()
- Setting the InputPanel.Enabled property when the form is closing throws an
exception
- SIP button does not go away when the toolbar control is removed from a
form that does not have a menu
- The Focus method does not work correctly for the NumericUpDown and
DomainUpDown controls
- The Text property of a ListView column is reset to "" when removing the
column from the ListView and then adding it back.
- ContextMenu: Fixed TreeView issues on Pocket PC 2003
- ContextMenu: Fixed side effects on controls like Scrollbar and Label
- ContextMenu: erroneous functionality when bound to ListBox
- ContextMenu: Showing a context menu on Pocket PC for a textbox unselects
the selected text in the textbox
- ContextMenu: Empty ContextMenu on Pocket PC should not pop up
- Web services: After repeatedly canceling asynchronous web request, all web
service calls fail
- conversion of 0.0F to a string and results in a memory leak
- Web services: An XmlException is thrown when deserializing a qualified
name that has no prefix and there is no default namespace defined
- Web services: Incorrect handling of null headers in SOAP message

--
Geoff Schwab
Program Manager

Mats Boberg

Hi,

Is there any install instruction somewhere? I use vs.net 2003 and using the
developer version...

I want my vs.net to support the new improvments.

/Mats.

C. Vollmer

Geoff,

just to be shure: SP1 is included in SP2, right? My customers only have
to install SP2?
Thanks,
Christoph

Mark Prentice

Hi Chris,

The PB QFE's typically run a few week behind the web redistribution
releases. We will post a message here when they release.

Mark Prentice
Microsoft Program Manager

Peter B

- Added support for ForeColor &/or BackColor for Button, Checkbox,
ComboBox, DomainUpDown, Label, Listbox, ListView, NumericUpDown,
RadioButton, Trackbar, TreeView

I can't set the background of a TreeView to a custom RGB color. Has anyone
else been able to do this?

/ Peter

Mark Johnson

The TreeView Background and a ListView Bug seems to be the main Problems
with SP2.
Allthough I have reported the ListView problem 2 times I have recieved no
reply up to now.
Here the reported Bug (19.01.2004) :

There is a bug in the ListView which has not been resolved.
Setting the Background Color of a TreeView does not work (but that is
cosmetic).
There was no reply to my messages from the 11.01.2004:

This was reported in December, but I don't remember seeing a posive
Solution.

Having installed SP2 I have recieved the following Results :

Project 1 :

All Colums of a Table should be shown in the ListView with a Standard Width
of -2.
This worked on PC and Compact SP1
Results : First Colum is shown in the Full Screen Width, the rest accourding
to the -2 setting.

Changed the logic to :
- Set the first Column to 0 and the rest to -2
Results : First Column is hidden, Second Column is shown in the Full Screen
Width, the rest accourding to the -2 setting

Project 2:

First Colums is set to 0, the next 3 Columns are 1/3 of Screen Width, rest
are set to -2
Results: Correct as done on PC and Compact SP1

This seems to be a nasty Bug in SP2.

The setting of the Backgound Color works correctly (which is very nice).

Mark Johnson, Berlin Germany
(e-mail address removed)

Serg Kuryata [MS]

Hello Mark,

First of all, I want to apologize that it took so long for me to respond.

1. Unfortunately, the TreeView.BackColor property is not supported on
PocketPC and Smartphone due to restrictions of the underlying OS but it
works as expected on Windows CE 4.1 and Windows CE 4.2.

2. Please could you send me a sample application that shows the problems
with ListView that you described because I was not able to reproduce them?
Everything worked fine for me on SP2. Please note, that there is a known
problem with ListView when columns are not resized properly if width of a
column is set to -1 before adding listview items but I don't think that it
would affect your scenario.

Best regards,
Sergiy.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=359EA6DA-FC5D-41CC-

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=10600643-09B3-46D8-
> [...]
| > > - Web services: After repeatedly canceling asynchronous web request,
all
| > web
| > > service calls fail
| > > - conversion of 0.0F to a string and results in a memory leak
| > > - Web services: An XmlException is thrown when deserializing a
qualified
| > > name that has no prefix and there is no default namespace defined
| > > - Web services: Incorrect handling of null headers in SOAP message
| > >
| > > --
| > > Geoff Schwab
| > > Program Manager
| > > Excell Data Corporation
| > > http://msdn.com/mobility

http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/prodtechinfo/devtools/netcf/FAQ/default.a
spx

| > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

Mark Johnson

Thank you for your reply.

You can download the source code that shows this problem :

http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/NetDbExplorer.asp

The Zip file has 2 Projects, one for PC and one for Compact.

The .exe file inside the Compact Project was compiled on SP1.
On Compact you must open a .sdf somewhere in "My Documents" or on the
Storage Card to see the ListView results.
(On PC: Access, Excel dBase or Txt with ";" delimited and first row with
Fieldnames).
The .cs code in the Directory \DataBase are the same in both Projects.
The Building of the ListView is in DataBaseExplorer.cs OnFillListView.
This method is call with Parameter to :
Show all Columns (i_Hide=0) and all Columns (i_Col=0) should be sized to
Columname Width (i.e : -2).
The PC Version and this exe on Compact run BEFORE SP2 was installed on the
Mashine did this properly.
Now the same .Exe (compiled on SP1) will show the first Column at full
Screen width when run on a Mashine where SP2 has run before.
When compiled with SP2 : same results.
Another Application (which calls the same Methode) is called with
i_Hide=1,i_Col=3 (Hide first Column, next 3 at 1/3 of Screen Width)
works correctly when running on SP2.
If I remember correctly I tried i_Hide=1,i_Col=0 (Hide first Column, rest
sized to Columname Width ) showed the FIRST Column at full Screen Width with
the rest properly sized.

This looks to me as if the problem turns up at the FIRST use of -2 in the
ListView.

Since the same code runs properly on the PC and on a Mashine with SP1 it
looks like a specfic SP2 problem.

Under SP1 you could set the Background of the TreeView/ListView without
recieving a compiler error but it was ignored.
The same SP1 exe when run under SP2 however does set the Background on the
ListView but not on the TreeView.

The setting of the Background is cosmetic, the problem with the -2 on the
ListView is not.

I would be very gratefull if this problem can be resolved without any
Compact specifc code writing.

If you have problems downloading the source (you must register there to
download) I will send you the zip (1074 KB).

Thank you for your efforts.

Serg Kuryata said:
> [...]

| > > - Web services: After repeatedly canceling asynchronous web request,
all
| > web
| > > service calls fail
| > > - conversion of 0.0F to a string and results in a memory leak
| > > - Web services: An XmlException is thrown when deserializing a
qualified
| > > name that has no prefix and there is no default namespace defined
| > > - Web services: Incorrect handling of null headers in SOAP message
| > >
| > > --
| > > Geoff Schwab
| > > Program Manager
| > > Excell Data Corporation
| > > http://msdn.com/mobility

http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/prodtechinfo/devtools/netcf/FAQ/default.a
spx

| > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

Mark Johnson

I also noticed that the changing of the Background color for labels work,
but only when it is not transparent.
//---------------------------------------------------------
//-- Transparent will compile under Compact, -----------
//-- but shows the Background of the Panel -----------
//-- not the Bitmap as on the PC (SP1, SP2) -----------
//---------------------------------------------------------
label_Street.BackColor = System.Drawing.Color.Transparent;
1. Unfortunately, the TreeView.BackColor property is not supported on
PocketPC and Smartphone due to restrictions of the underlying OS

If this is no problem for a ListView then why is it for a TreeView (just
interested)?

Mark Johnson, Berlin Germany
(e-mail address removed)

Serg Kuryata [MS]

Hello Mark,

There is indeed a problem in the ListView control. The problem is that if
width of the first column is equal to -2 when the column is being added to
a ListView control then the column occupies the whole client area of the
ListView. A workaround for this is to set the width of the first column to
-2 after adding all columns to the ListView. For example, to workaround the
problem in your application, you need to add the following code after the
code that adds listview columns:

if (listViewListen.Columns.Count > 0)
listViewListen.Columns[0].Width = -2;

Regarding your question about the TreeView.BackColor property and
transparent color. I can understand that it seems strange that the .NET
Compact Framework supports the BackColor property for ListView and does not
for TreeView. The deal here is that the .NET Compact Framework does not
implement its own controls; instead it uses the native controls of the
underlying operating system. The native TreeView control on PPC does not
allow changing its backcolor (honestly, I don't know why) and that's why
the .NET Compact Framework does not support it. Same story with the
transparent color. The OS does not support it and that's why it does not
work in the .NET Compact Framework.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Sergiy.

| From: "Mark Johnson" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
| Subject: Label.BackColor = System.Drawing.Color.Transparent
| Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:03:33 +0100
|
| I also noticed that the changing of the Background color for labels
work,
| but only when it is not transparent.
| //---------------------------------------------------------
| //-- Transparent will compile under Compact, -----------
| //-- but shows the Background of the Panel -----------
| //-- not the Bitmap as on the PC (SP1, SP2) -----------
| //---------------------------------------------------------
| label_Street.BackColor = System.Drawing.Color.Transparent;
|
| > 1. Unfortunately, the TreeView.BackColor property is not supported on
| > PocketPC and Smartphone due to restrictions of the underlying OS
|
| If this is no problem for a ListView then why is it for a TreeView (just
| interested)?
|
| Mark Johnson, Berlin Germany
| (e-mail address removed)

Mark Johnson

---------------------
// There is indeed a problem in the ListView control. The problem is that
if
// width of the first column is equal to -2 when the column is being
added to
// a ListView control then the column occupies the whole client area of
the
// ListView. A workaround for this is to set the width of the first
column to
// -2 after adding all columns to the ListView.
// 20040202 - Serg Kuryata [MS] <[email protected]>

---------------------
for (int i=0;i<dview_Table.Table.Columns.Count;i++)
{
if ((i > i_Hide) || (i_Hide < 0))
{
if ((i_Cols > -1) && (i<=i_Hide+i_Cols))

listViewListen.Columns.Add(sa_listViewCols,listViewListen.Width/i_Cols,Ho
rizontalAlignment.Center);
else // Hack for Compact SP2 (1 instead of -2)

listViewListen.Columns.Add(sa_listViewCols,1,HorizontalAlignment.Center);
} // if (i > i_Hide)
else

listViewListen.Columns.Add(sa_listViewCols,0,HorizontalAlignment.Center);
} // for (int i=0;i<dview_Table.Table.Columns.Count;i++)
// Hack for Compact SP2 (1 instead of -2)
for (int i=0;i<dview_Table.Table.Columns.Count;i++)
if (listViewListen.Columns.Width == 1)
listViewListen.Columns.Width = -2;
// End - Hack for Compact SP2 (1 instead of -2)

---------------------

This brings the desired results.
Will this Bug be resolved in a furture release and reported as solved so
that such code can be taken out ?

20040202 - Serg Kuryata [MS]:
Regarding your question about the TreeView.BackColor property and
transparent color. I can understand that it seems strange that the .NET
Compact Framework supports the BackColor property for ListView and does not
for TreeView. The deal here is that the .NET Compact Framework does not
implement its own controls; instead it uses the native controls of the
underlying operating system. The native TreeView control on PPC does not
allow changing its backcolor (honestly, I don't know why) and that's why
the .NET Compact Framework does not support it. Same story with the
transparent color. The OS does not support it and that's why it does not
work in the .NET Compact Framework.

This is at least an explanation that one can understand, thank you for your
efforts.

Mark Johnson, Berlin Germany
(e-mail address removed)

Serg Kuryata [MS]

Mark,

You don't have to change the code that adds columns (I mean that there is
no need to replace '-2' with '1'). You can leave as it is. The only thing
you need to do is to add the following code after the code that adds
columns:

if (listViewListen.Columns.Count > 0)
listViewListen.Columns[0].Width = -2;

This should solve your problem.

I filled a bug against this problem in our database, so I think it will be
fixed in a future release.

Thank you,