ANN: .NET Compact Framework SP2

Neil Cowburn [MVP]

You can now download the .NET Compact Framework SP2 from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...43-09b3-46d8-ba28-bc494bc20d26&displaylang=en.
Below are the release notes:
Additional Information
..NET Compact Framework 1.0 Service Pack 2 details:

Performance & Other Improvements List:
- Improved performance of many data tasks, including populating DataSets,
searching DataTables, DataSet.ReadXml() method when a schema is used,
finding and indexing operations, setting DataSet.EnableConstraints property,
SqlDataReader
- Improved resource loading performance
- Minor GUI performance improvements
- Extend keyboard events to be enabled on all controls (Control.KeyUp,
KeyDown, KeyPress)
- Added support for ForeColor &/or BackColor for Button, Checkbox, ComboBox,
DomainUpDown, Label, Listbox, ListView, NumericUpDown, RadioButton,
Trackbar, TreeView
- Added support for new Smartphone languages: Finnish, Czech, Romanian,
Slovakian, Norwegian, Hungarian, Polish, Turkish, Russian
- Improved Control.Enabled and Control.Parent property changing performance
- Support menu hotkeys on Pocket PC
- Support raising context menus from assigned hardware key, Pocket PC
- Tab support for Pocket PC based on Z-Order
- XmlTextReader performance improvements

Defect Fix List:
- DataRowCollection.Find() method throws wrong exception
- Fixed erroneous parsing of HttpWebRequest response stream
- Form does not get the focus when all controls are removed from the form
- Handling of empty XML elements and 'nil' attribute fixed for
DataSet.ReadXml()
- InputPanel Button disappears from MainMenu on Pocket PC 2002
- InputPanel's EnabledChanged Event fires inspite of setting the enabled
property to the same value.
- IrDAClient.DiscoverDevices device names garbled
- Memory leak in the NumericUpDown, DomainUpDown, ComboBox and TextBox
controls
- Native Exception occurs when using the get accessor for Control.Capture
- Navigation bar flickers when new form is being loaded.
- ObjectDisposedException occurs when DataBinding a control to a form shown
via Show()
- OK button eventually goes away when re-using recycled form for
ShowDialog()
- Setting the InputPanel.Enabled property when the form is closing throws an
exception
- SIP button does not go away when the toolbar control is removed from a
form that does not have a menu
- The Focus method does not work correctly for the NumericUpDown and
DomainUpDown controls
- The Text property of a ListView column is reset to "" when removing the
column from the ListView and then adding it back.
- ContextMenu: Fixed TreeView issues on Pocket PC 2003
- ContextMenu: Fixed side effects on controls like Scrollbar and Label
- ContextMenu: erroneous functionality when bound to ListBox
- ContextMenu: Showing a context menu on Pocket PC for a textbox unselects
the selected text in the textbox
- ContextMenu: Empty ContextMenu on Pocket PC should not pop up
- Web services: After repeatedly canceling asynchronous web request, all web
service calls fail conversion of 0.0F to a string and results in a memory
leak
- Web services: An XmlException is thrown when deserializing a qualified
name that has no prefix and there is no default namespace defined
- Web services: Incorrect handling of null headers in SOAP messages

Release Notes:
SP2 provides fixes for the aforementioned defects. This service pack does
not introduce any API changes.

chris-s

Great, nice lot of fixes, just got to download a 12 meg file on a 56K dialup
connection!

Chris.

Asheesh

Can I use this SP2 for deploying my .NET CF application on to a pocket
device or would there be another application deployed redistributable?

This is intended purely for developers, and not for distribution along with
the application, right?

Regards,
Asheesh

Peter Foot [MVP]

Actually both - the developer package is so called because it contains
versions for all devices and emulators. For a pocket PC device you can
distribute the appropriate cab version with your applications e.g.
netcf.core.ppc3.ARM.cab

Peter

--
Peter Foot
Windows Embedded MVP

www.inthehand.com | www.opennetcf.org

Asheesh

Thanks a lot Peter. But this SP2.0 would definitely have a change in it
Win32 version number. I know it should be, just trying to reconfirm.

Regards,
Asheesh

Asheesh said:
Can I use this SP2 for deploying my .NET CF application on to a pocket
device or would there be another application deployed redistributable?

This is intended purely for developers, and not for distribution along with
the application, right?

Regards,
Asheesh
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=10600643-09b3-46d8- from
a removing
the

Alex Chan

Hi All,

Applying SP2 will cover all the fix and improvement of SP1 also?

Regards,

Alex

PeterB

Just wanna make sure:

SP1 is included in VS .NET 2003 right? If not, will all fixes be added that
was in SP1 with the new SP2?

br,

Peter

Michel Renaud