Android creator reveals new Essential Phone

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Andy Rubin, the man behind the Android operating system, has set up his own gadget company - Essential. Today, in an exclusive with The Verge, he has revealed details of his new phone handset (called 'Phone') and also a smart speaker home base (called 'Home').

On paper, the phone is a beast, but since we’ve only seen official renderings and company photos—it’s hard to say whether the phone will actually live up to the hype. The specs sound nice, but we’d be remiss to recommend this phone without giving it a proper trial in our everyday lives.

One of the weirder elements of Essential Phone, and one we’re really looking forward to testing, is its unique inclusion of two pins on the back of the device that will make it somewhat modular and capable of hooking up to different accessories. To start, the pins are going to be used with a charging dock and 360-degree camera. In the future, the pins could be used to hook up even more ambitious accessories.

fic78bhkgyetcfq5bhu6.jpg

Read at Gizmodo

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I was keen to see what this had to offer as I knew it was going to be a decent stock Android handset.

$699. No headphone jack. 5.7 inch screen. 3040mah = Meh. :(

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I like the kinda modular function, but other than that it didn't seem particularly revolutionary...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... unique inclusion of two pins on the back of the device ...

it's going to have "two pins" sticking out of the back. :rolleyes:

:lol:

Ask a Question