AMD Ryzen 5 microprocessors overview

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
The Ryzen 5 CPU was released yesterday, and The Inquirer has been taking a look at how the chip has been received by reviewers:

The Ryzen 5 will weigh in at between $169 and $249, or around £170 to £250 in the UK, including the 20 per cent protection money demanded by Her Majesty. The Ryzen 5 will form the mainstream part of the market, and early reviews and benchmarks of pre-release parts suggest that it will be highly competitive.

Indeed, a number of enthusiast websites have been quick off the mark with reviews and benchtests, with the Ryzen 5 performing well against more highly priced Intel parts.

Ryzenboxes-580x358.jpg

Read more here.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Impressive. :)

Should you pick the Ryzen 5 1600X over Intel's offerings? Most definitely. The similarly priced Core i5-7600K is convincingly beaten by the 1600X across the board, and the 1600X even registers wins against the much costlier i7-7700K in some tests. These chips give you so much more, and the average frame rates are on par with Intel, but if you do nothing other than gaming on your $1,500 rig, you're still better off opting for an Intel Core i5-7600K or 7700K. If, however, you're looking for a more wholesome package that gives you the power to handle media-productivity tasks, as well as great gaming performance, then the Ryzen 5 1600X makes for an incredible option. Intel's $200-350 CPU lineup is certainly in a bit of a pickle.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_1600X/

Should you pick the Ryzen 5 1500X over Intel's lineup at $189? It depends. The identically-priced Core i5-7400 is Intel's slowest quad-core chip based on "Kaby Lake" and is convincingly beaten by the 1500X across the board. The $206 Core i5-7500 is beaten in most tests, too, and the 1500X even registers wins against the much costlier i5-7600K in some tests. What worries us most is that platform maturity is not there yet even though AMD's latest Agesa update brought some improvements. If you do nothing other than gaming on your $1,000 rig, you're still better off opting for an Intel Core i5-7500 or higher. If, however, you're looking for a more wholesome package that gives you the power to handle media-productivity tasks, as well as netting you reasonable gaming performance, then the Ryzen 5 1500X makes for a decent option. Intel's sub-$200 CPU lineup is definitely challenged.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_1500X/

Even stock speed performance here is excellent for the money, although we'd be very tempted to splash out on the Ryzen 7 1700 for an extra £60 or so if multi-threaded performance was important and you're up for a little overclocking. Perhaps the most important point here is that if multi-threaded performance is top of your list, for the price, Intel simply doesn't feature here - even the more expensive Core i7-7700K is out-done by big margins in most tests.
https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/04/11/amd-ryzen-5-1600x-review/

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's pretty exciting to see the CPU market shaken up, finally... I know we keep talking about it, but now that the 5 series is here there are some real options.

including the 20 per cent protection money demanded by Her Majesty

They should definitely re-name VAT to this. :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Indeed, now we just need them to do the same with the GPU's...... ;)

lol, I had a little giggle at that too.

Ask a Question