After a new router

Reaction score
I'm after a new router.
At the moment I am stuck with the bog standard BT Homehub 2.0. But it is a pile of poo and won't let me do what I want.
In a nutshell I want a router that will let me configure port forwarding for WAMP, LAMP and MAMP..

Any ideas ?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm using a Linksys WAG 200G Wireless ADSL Modem/Router, had it for 18 months now, it's worked well and has an extensive menu on it's URL address.

Usual wireless setup, plus 4 ethernet cable ports.

Prior to that I had a non-wireless Netgear Modem/Router which died on me after 15 months of use.

That's my experience of routers, there have been others, and I don't understand a lot about Network/Internet settings I'm afraid so don't know all about that WAMP, LAMP, MAMP and DODOBOOLATLY stuff at all :confused:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I'm using a Linksys WAG 200G Wireless ADSL Modem/Router, had it for 18 months now, it's worked well and has an extensive menu on it's URL address.

Usual wireless setup, plus 4 ethernet cable ports.

Prior to that I had a non-wireless Netgear Modem/Router which died on me after 15 months of use.

That's my experience of routers, there have been others, and I don't understand a lot about Network/Internet settings I'm afraid so don't know all about that WAMP, LAMP, MAMP and DODOBOOLATLY stuff at all :confused:

Just had a look at t your router and it looks like Port Forwarding can be done.

WAMP = Windows - Apache - MySQL - pHp.
LAMP would be Linux
MAMP would be Mac.

I am using WAMP to host a site on a private network and basically need Port Forwarding so I can give members an address such as "michael-james.kicks-ass.net "rather than giving them my IP address.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Netgear DG834GT with Be here, very good router although not the best GIU imo.

I can highly recommend the Speedtouch series too. Always really liked the interface on them for forwarding and such.

I'd use the 585v7 that Be gave me if i could manually adjust the SNR etc like i can do with the Netgear thanks to the DGTeam Firmware, Oh and believe it of not the Netgear syncs slightly faster than Be's own router.. :D

Not sure how BT will work without their 'wonderful' home hub though. :p

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=22917&page=48

You could always try.

happywave.gif

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thompson Speedtouch 585v6 works really well.

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:

Well I know I said I would rather stick to buying a new router, but me been me I just can't resist a quick fiddle.
Anyway I had a look at the link you provided and did a bit more research. And gave it all a go. I was able to change certain bits of the firmware, which then gave me quite a different User/Admin control panel for my hub. But alas it is all a waste of time. HAd to reboot in oder for the changes to take place and be effective. But and this is why I say all a bit useless. About 15 minute later all the little blue lights started flashing on the router and it started updating. Once the update had completed the firmware had gone back to the way BT intended it to be. I tried once more and the same. Firmware update cak to how it was intended. It is possible to get around the firmware updating, but if I do that then my BT Vision doesn't update. Long and the short of it is I probably shouldn't be doing it as its probably against BT's T's & C's..

A mate of mine has just called to say he has a Netgear router I can have which will do the job I wan't. So I will go pick it up tomorrow. And hopefully with the Netgear Router I will now be able to setup my Netgear switch correctly..Fingers crossed...

Ask a Question