Advice please - Novatech PC?

Reaction score
I’d value your opinions on my next PC.

My current PC is over four years old and I’m thinking about getting something with a bit more clout, both for video editing and gaming.

I was first considering the Mesh Elite Quad FX:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/122231/mesh-elite-quad-fx.html

however their sales dept hasn’t deigned to give me a quote for the system without a monitor so now I’m looking at Novatech’s Executer Pro:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/pcrange.html?EXE

Can anyone see any obvious drawbacks with this system?

My current system can (surprisingly) just about manage to run Quake 4 and Company of Heroes (lowest res and everything off) and now that CoH has a DirectX 10 patch I’ll consider Vista (although I don’t like the UI, having used it at work).

I’ll probably get a 22” WS monitor too (perhaps a bit later) and being very pleased with my current Samsung SyncMaster 913V will almost certainly go Samsung again (probably the ‘Pebble’, having read V_R’s thread).

Will I be able to run this with my 913V (analogue) in twin screen mode? I’m a bit hazy about how DVI and VGA would work together and if my current 4:3 monitor at 1280x1024 would work alongside a WS format monitor at 1680x1050 Resolution. (I currently use an old CRT in twin screen mode with my Samsung.)

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
:eek:Mesh Alert!:eek:

Have you not read our Mesh thread? Don't even, in my opinion, consider going there.

The Novatech computer is fine but try and get the system with the following, as oddly enough, of both systems listed, neither has all these attributes:

1) the 6600 CPU
2) the GTS8800 640mb card
3) Memory that runs at 800Mhz

The Samsung 22" is amazing, I've had mine for about a week and a half now.

As for the twin monitor mode, I think so, but I'm not sure, give Novatech a ring, they're helpful.

Whilst you're on the phone to them, ask them to price up the system with all the features I've listed and perhaps a price on the Samsung 22" Pebble monitor, it sells, usually, for around £230.00.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
:eek:Mesh Alert!:eek:

Have you not read our Mesh thread? Don't even, in my opinion, consider going there.

Thanks. Yes, I did read it but I thought that we weren't supposed to act on negative comments ;-)

floppybootstomp said:
The Novatech computer is fine but try and get the system with the following, as oddly enough, of both systems listed, neither has all these attributes:

1) the 6600 CPU
2) the GTS8800 640mb card
3) Memory that runs at 800Mhz

The 'Pro' does have a 6600 CPU and 640Mb graphics memory doesn't it? The memory speed is something I hadn't thought about - thanks.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
nick9000 said:
Thanks. Yes, I did read it but I thought that we weren't supposed to act on negative comments ;-)

Well, ok. Whilst there are Forum guidelines, protocol and good ol common sense, we don't actually have any rules per se so 'weren't supposed to' doesn't really apply ;)

But, if you want to buy a Mesh system after reading the Mesh thread - even with the most jaded, cynical and questioning eye and doubting every single person who's made a post in that thread - be my guest :)

But seriously - I wouldn't if I were you.

I recommended the 640Mb version of the 8800GTS as it is a help when playing games like Quake 4, btw.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The Executor Pro (the spec on the right yes?) Is a fine pc, Quad core, 8800 640mb, just a shame they only use cheap pc5300 DDR2.

The 2232BW is a fantastic monitor, cant recommend it enough!

You will be able to run both monitors in dual screen no worries. You can configure the separately so you can have them running at different resolutions etc, i do it here with my TV. :)

Reaction score
But Quad core is presently useless aint it for normal usage? Not even video editing would use that yet? Fair enough if you were running a games server or something similar?

But present software wouldnt even entertain the use of it unless as I said runnign a network server or sorts?!

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
But Quad core is presently useless aint it for normal usage? Not even video editing would use that yet? Fair enough if you were running a games server or something similar?

But present software wouldnt even entertain the use of it unless as I said runnign a network server or sorts?!

Yes, I wondered about that and I suppose I am thinking to the next couple of years re: quad core. Interestingly, according to the bloke from Intel there are 'good performance gains' on CoH with quad core, but I guess they aren't spectacular or else he would have said so:

http://www.podtech.net/home/2505/gaming-with-intel-quad-core-processors

Reaction score
Yeah absolutely maybe over the next 18months 2years it will have a more significant advantage within the VT and games industry, however at that time technology will also have moved on and we may well be within the grounds of the consumer optical cpu's albeit very, very, very expensive!

Only time will tell. For the price I guess its worth taking the risk. Manufacturers do put them in because people beleive they are getting Quad core performance. The truth be known though that the performance is not upto what they are making Joe public believe, in fact you would hardly notice the difference on normal operation of the computer within your home.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Whilst I'll agree about the observations on the quad core cpu made above, I will say that I can notice a most definite performance gain between my 6600 2.4 dual core and my 4000 2.6 AMD64, particularly when I have several applications running simultaneously.

Perhaps it's worth having a word with Novatech and asking if they'll change the spec to a dual core instead of a quad core, they probably will.

I see you're in Southampton, perhaps you could print this thread out, visit their showroom and discuss it with them?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've just read the link to the Mesh system in the first post.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are PC Pro and Mesh in bed together? :eek:

What a complete crock of crap..... :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
CoH''s will use up to 16 Cores if it can, but thats just silly!!

There area a lot of apps that are multi threaded now, photoshop iirc is one and some.I'll be getting a quad at some point soon no doubt, as games and software is starting to take advantage of duals/quads much more now. :) And as the Q6600 is almost the same price as the E6600 you would be made not to!!

Ah found it, This is from another forum...not the best example but you get the idea.
user.gif

Real-World Applications

3D Studio MAX using Mental Ray Renderer (>99 % of 4 cores)
Adobe Premiere Elements v3.0.2 (52-85 % of 4 cores depending on source type, filters, etc.)
AutoGK v2.40 (30-53 % of 4 cores depending on source type, filters, etc.)
Cinema 4d Rendering (>99 % of 4 cores)
Dr. DivX v2.0.0 (47-65 % of 4 cores depending on source type, filters, etc.)
DVDShrink v3.2 (~90 % of 4 cores)
Lightwave 3D (>99 % of 4 cores)
Nero Suite 7.x (>90 % of 4 cores when encoding)
Noise Ninja v2.13 (~80 % of 4 cores when doing the noise reduction on an image)
Sony Vegas 7.0e (83-100 % of 4 cores depending on source type, filters, etc.)
TMPG XPress v4.2.3.193 (65-100 % of 4 cores depending on source type, filters, etc.)
Winrar v3.70 (~85-90 % of 4 cores on benchmark; ~75% in practice)
x264 v0.55.663 (>99 % of 4 cores when doing the 2nd pass of a 2 pass encode)

Benchmark/Distributed Computing Applications

Folding@home SMP client (>99 % of 4 cores)
Muon1 DPAD (~85 % of 4 cores)
OCCT (>99 % of 4 cores)
Prime95 v25.3 (>99 % of 4 cores)
wprime v1.50 (>99 % of 4 cores)
Xvid 1.1.3
wPrime
PCMark05 (last test)
3dMark06
EVEREST (benchmarks)
SANDRA (benchmarks)

Software designed for 4 or more cores

Adobe AfterEffects 7/8
Adobe Premiere Pro 2/3.0
Adobe Encore DVD 2.+
Maxon Cinema 4D v10
Pinnacle Studio dv 10
Sony Vegas 7.0
Steinberg- Yamaha Cubase v4.5
THQ/Gas Powered Games Supreme Commander
Remedy Alan Wake
Valve Half-Life 2: Episode 2
Epic Unreal Engine 3
Ubisoft Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Autodesk 3DSMAX 8 and 3DSMAX 9
Adobe Photoshop CS2
Quicktime Pro 7.1
XMPEG with DIVX 6.2
Pov Ray 3.7 Beta

Reaction score
nick9000 read through the 300+ replies on the Mesh thread before you decide.
Use the mesh thread link HERE

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I've just read the link to the Mesh system in the first post.

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Are PC Pro and Mesh in bed together? :eek:

What a complete crock of crap.....
laughingsmiley.gif
I think it's called Advertising Revenue!!!

Reaction score
Novatech it is then

feckit said:
nick9000 read through the 300+ replies on the Mesh thread before you decide.
Use the mesh thread link HERE

Thanks to all who have replied. Looks like it's going to be Novatech who get my money!

Nick

Ask a Question