Advice on High End Spec. for PC

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

As a newcomer I've read through some posts and there seems to be some good advice on system specifications so hopefully you'll have some for me too. I'm a heavy PC user (work not games sadly!) and I'm looking to invest in a top end system. I'm looking for something that will be very fast but also very stable and with lots of storage and good back-up to avoid data loss. Finally I'm also interested in as quiet a PC as possible so I'm considering non fan case options. I run Office applications and also Dreamweaver, Director and Music editing software so its quite a variety of uses. I realise there are trade offs between certain factors but I guess my top one is stability. I don't want my system to crash or for drives to fail. I will use someone else to build it but I will source all components:

This is quite a wish list I guess!

But as it is for work my budget is fairly generous, up to 2k, which I reckon will give me a decent system.

Anyway here's my initial spec. ideas - ideas to improve gratefully received:

CASE: VapoChill Xtreme Edition
PSU: Antec TrueBlue 480W (+ SATA adapter cable)
MotherBoard: Asus A7N8X De-Luxe nForce2 SATA (Version 2)
CPU: Pentium P4 3.2
Additional Cooling: (not required?)
RAM: 2x512Mb Corsair XMS3200 CAS2 RAM + heatspreaders
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 120GB (inc 8MB buffer)
HDD (Backup) Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 120GB
GPU: GeForceFX 5900 Ultra
SPEAKERS: Creative Megaworks 510D
SOUNDCARD: ??
DVD: Pioneer A05 DVDRW
CD: Plextor PleXWriter Premium (52X32 8Mb Buffer)
CONNECTIONS: 4 x USB (new type) / 1 x Firewire
Power Supply: (included in Vapochill case?)
Hauppage TV Tuner card

Look forward to your comments!

TIM

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Looks quite good to me. A few suggestions:

Doesn't the Asus board already have onboard sound? I'm not really familiar with Intel Pentium boards. If so, I hear tell the sound on Asus boards is of good quality and should be enough for you without adding a sound card.

You've listed PSU twice I think, the Antec 480 should do the job just fine.

Looking at the computer's uses and taking into account your budget, perhaps consider the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro All In Wonder? Best of both worlds, gaming & creativity both catered for. Also, you wouldn't need the TV Tuner card with the AIW, it has a Tuner built in.

For a little extra, perhaps consider the Pioneer A106 DVDRW, it's dual standard, The A05 only copes with -R.

As far as I know, all Corsair memory comes with heat spreaders.

As I mentioned, only suggestions, it's looking like a very good system indeed :)

Reaction score
Your system

I would advise the following:

You have said Pentium 4 3.2 which is quite high end (i have the same with hyper threading)
I am unsure which model this psu is but make sure it is a good one (you dont want a noisy psu that is too hot)
as for additional cooling i would advise you get a 8cm fan (or 2) i have a 3,2 Ghz and had to fit 2 of these
OK as you have to use this for work only 1024MB is adequate for your system.
I dont know how much of your hard drive you will use but is 120GB enough ?
Well as for a sound card i would advise on a 5.1 card as all cards will be that soon
Do you copy onto cd or dvd ? Get a 16x Sony dvd +/- rw dual layer burner (you can burn upto 8.5GB to one dual layer disc)
I am unsure how many USB ports you will use but i would advise on 6 USB2.0 ports
You can also get tv cards with free view have you considered that ?

I hope this is of help but the following may also help you:

I use my pc all day it is left on morning until night most days (whether im on it or not) my set up is as follows:

550w power supply with neons
P4 3.2 Ghz HT
1024MB
256MB nview Graphics
420GB HDD (320GB, 120GB)
5.1 Sound card with Various features
16x Sony DVD+/-rw Dual Layer
16x Sony DVD-ROM
Sony Floppy Drive
8x USB 2.0 Ports
2x firewire ports
2x 8cm fans with neons
1x fan on motherboard
1x dual fan (PCI CARD) (keeps cards inc graphics card cool)
slimline 5.1 speakers
15" TFT monitor

PLZ NOTE i would advise you got a 19" TFT as yo use your PC for graphics

I hope i have helped you

Reaction score
Btw ... if you have round 2k ?!?! Surely get a top end Intel ?!?! Or even the FX-55 ?!?! lol

And might aswell go for the max RAM you can get for that board ?!?!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Ummm... people? i hate to burst your bubble, but this thread is nearly 2 years old!!

Reaction score
Hahaha !!! I didn't realise !!! I just saw someone reply so i thought it was new !!!! LMAO !!!

WHAT A MUG !!! Haha Thanx for that Alf !!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Belloni, you plonker, lol :p

Never did come back, did he, Mr Tim? We used to get a lot of that, one post then bugger off.

Still do, come to think of it ;)

Belloni - j/k ;)

Reaction score
lol Nah it's ite !!! Every right to call me that !!! Haha that's funny !!! What a mug i am !!! :)

Please close thread so other peeps can't see this mistake ! LMAO

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
this guy didnt research his parts very well, the A7N8X is an AMD board and he's gone for a P4

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
this guy didnt research his parts very well, the A7N8X is an AMD board and he's gone for a P4

Ya know what? I never even spotted that, lol

Classic :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Sorry Flopp's i didn't mean your overlook on the board.....What i meant was replying to a 2 year old thread....:D now that is funny....

Reaction score
Didn't a few of us do this very same thing to an old post from PSD about a power supply ??? That was like less than a month ago lol

Reaction score
I thought thoses specs on the first post were a tad old, well not old but if you have 2k its old! lol

Reaction score
Lol Stop laughing !!! haha

That's what i was thinking ... with 2k ?! Why JUST get that ?! lol

Ask a Question