ADSL Problems

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm having some big headache with my ADSL connection at the moment, and I wondering if anyone has any suggestions (I'm currently on hold with Demon.net tech support!).

It appears as if my connection suddenly lags every few minutes, for no apparent reason. I'll be browsing or downloading, and then everything stops for 10 seconds or so. If I leave the browser, the page won't load - but if I refresh it will sometimes load fine. This oddity made me think it was a problem with the PC at first, but it is doing this on 3 seperate PCs (one freshly formatted). Changing the router did appear to work at first, but it seems this was false hope.

I have noticed lots of errors cropping up on my router status page, and I'm wondering if that could be part of the problem?

Code:
Status
   Configured  Current
Line Status  --- SHOWTIME
Link Type  --- Interleaved Path
Data Rate
Stream Type  Actual Data Rate
Up Stream  448 (Kbps.)
Down Stream  7584 (Kbps.)
Operation Data
Operation Data  Upstream  Downstream
Noise Margin  19 dB   9 dB
Attenuation  49 dB   41 dB
Defect Indication
Indicator Name    Near End Indicator  Far End Indicator
Fast Path FEC Correction   0    0
[b]Interleaved Path FEC Correction  0    27109[/b]
Fast Path CRC Error    0    0
Interleaved Path CRC Error   0    144
Loss of Signal Defect    0    ---
Fast Path HEC Error    0    0
Interleaved Path HEC Error   0    0
Statistics
Received Cells  806586
Transmitted Cells  166002

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i've been having this sort of problem, doesn't happen everyday but it usually starts in the evening 4pm onwards

i find closing the browser and reopening it works but as i say it usually fine, i reckon its a problem of some sort on the network with loading

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Forward error connection (FEC) errors are what you get with an interleaved line, thats the interleaving doing its job iirc. :)

I'm not sure if that is what will be causing the problem though.

It maywell be a problem with load on the network.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies :thumb:

I'm going to switch to o2 in the next month, so I'll just plod on like this until then :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've switched to a wired SpeedTouch 330 for the moment to see if that solves things - if it does, I might just go for one of those £20 refurbished wireless routers that some of you have bought :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's the one I was looking at :D

Are they one of the better ones around?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
ya, i got the 585v6, not much difference. Speedtouch routers are da shiznit! lol

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ta :D That sounds like the one to get if the switch to o2 doesn't go ahead :thumb:

Ask a Question