adsl modem router problem

M

mike

Hi

I have a home network of 4 PCs all on win XP-home, 3 of them are running wirelessly from a Netgear adsl modem router and one on a LAN cable from the router. This works without any problem. I would now like to run all of them wirelessly - I installed a new wireless usb adapter on this PC and unhooked the LAN cable from the router. The PC shows connected OK but when I try to access the internet I get nothing. The other PCs are still working fine so why not this one? (sorry if it's a dumb question but it all looks logical to me!).

m

J

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

If you have any of the security measure On make sure that the new Wireless is configured with the correct info (Like WEP/WPA key).

Jack (MVP-Networking).

Hi

I have a home network of 4 PCs all on win XP-home, 3 of them are running wirelessly from a Netgear adsl modem router and one on a LAN cable from the router. This works without any problem. I would now like to run all of them wirelessly - I installed a new wireless usb adapter on this PC and unhooked the LAN cable from the router. The PC shows connected OK but when I try to access the internet I get nothing. The other PCs are still working fine so why not this one? (sorry if it's a dumb question but it all looks logical to me!).

m

M

mike

Thanks Jack

No there is no security setting!

m

Hi

If you have any of the security measure On make sure that the new Wireless is configured with the correct info (Like WEP/WPA key).

Jack (MVP-Networking).

Hi

m

Y

Yves Leclerc

You nee to also:

1) Release the IP address by the LAN card

2) Renew the IP address for the wireless card.

3) Start --> Run: ---> cmd ---> ipconfig /flushdns

It seem that the Windows is routing thru the "old" IP settings (LAN) before
the wireless card is accessed.

Also, do not forget to set up a WPA/WEP wireless security key. Several ISP
companies now want to charge the difference cost between a home Internet
service and a commercial Internet service if they can prove that you set up a
"hotspot" (free wireless Internet access area) weither accidentally or not.

Ask a Question