ADSL Modem dload speeds

Reaction score
as u allknow my Linksys router is casuing me problems as it keep randomly disconnecting!
upgraded me firmware yesterday and i think its helped as in idont get disconected very often but the problem is definetly still there.

So i got my mates modem its a Sagem 800 modem, yes ive installed it its working and that
but the think ive noticed is that my downloading are slower compared to when i have my linksys router connected to the net

I can at the best get around 112kbs or 115kps but on this modem i seem to hit around 40-50 kps at the best. Not that im going to use this modem forever just curious, my connection speed is correct on the window.

Does anyone know why my download speeds would be slower on this ADSL modem?
Could it be that the modem can only support a 512kps connection at the max?

sorry if this seems obvious its just ive never had a adsl modem before, this is just a test to see if its my linksys router that is causiing the problems!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
do you mean Kbps or KB/s

do you have the sagem F@st 800-840 modem?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
do you mean Kbps or KB/s

do you have the sagem F@st 800-840 modem?

yes thats the modem i have and i mean my download speeds belve this is KB/sec
always bloody spell it wrong!

Reaction score
Techy thanks, those drviers are the same ones that i installed yesterday

are u sure its not just a 512 modem?such a thing exsist?

Reaction score
Not unless it's firmware fixed to only allow it. G.DMT (which is the type of DSL we use in this country) has a max throughput of 8mb. If the firmware in the modem is fixed for 512kb, then that would be all you can get but I doubt anyone would fix a modem to do that....

Try downloading from a major site like Microsoft.com.. see what kinda speed you get :)

Reaction score
yes did test the speed on download.com

on my router i used to get 117kb/s, which is at my best with one download only

on this modem im getting 50kb/s max at my best speed with one download.

so it probably is the modem that is a 512k one!
im so lazy that i cant even be bothered to go to the sagem website and found out about it!

Reaction score
another note, that Linksys router im sure its the problem now with my

'software caused connection abort' error message!

I connected to my programs left em over night, im sure i didnt get any 'going offline' for 30 seconds which would normally reset my programs! so this little free sagem modem is a beauty to me but the problem now is its only 512k! humbug!

Ask a Question