Adsl connection problems at startup

billerr

For the past week or so, I have been experiencing the following problem:

I have an adsl connection, which is not on all the time, but requires
authentication each time I have to connect, like a dialup. I used to do that
manually when I wanted to go online. For the last days, though, every time
my pc (XP Home, p4 2,26GHz, password protected administrator account) stars
up, it tries to connect to the Internet through the adsl connection. The
problem is, it almost always fails to connect. and to make matters worse,
when I right-click the connection, the 'connect' and 'status' options are
greyed out! So, I'm stuck with a pc, that is unable to go online! I have to
restart several times (and each time the same happens) until, by chance, the
computer connects successsfully at some time, and I can use it.

I tried removing all startup items, in case they took up CPU power required
for a successful connection, but nothing. I tried disconnecting before
turning the pc off, so that it won't try to connect by default at the next
startup, but it still does! How can I reset my pc to connect manually, and
not try to connect automatically on every startup?

billerr

Well, I actually managed to work around the problem, by setting the
Autologon option on in TweakUIXP. but still, is there some option that
causes my internet connection to connect on startup, instead of manual
connection as it was 2 weeks ago? Or perhaps some registry setting?