Adobe Flash Player Locks Down the Cookie Jar

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The newly released Adobe Flash 10.3 looks like it has improved security and privacy protection, by changing the way it handles cookies. It also comes with some security fixes, so it's worth updating if you use it:

Privacy is a the hot topic recently, what with Congress grilling Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) and Google (Nasdaq: GOOG) about their location data practices. It's also a major issue with users of Adobe Flash Player because unscrupulous companies have sometimes used Flash cookies to spawn browser cookies.

Spawning browser cookies will relaunch a Web page even after the user shuts it down, and users often have to shut down the browser and open a new one. Sometimes they may even have to take their computers offline and shut them down as well.

Flash Player 10.3 lets users clear Flash cookies through the browser, Adobe said.

You can read the full article here.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just updated mine today.

Despite some people's paranoia about it, Adobe Flash Player has, as far as I know, never causd me any problems and lots of websites use it.

So, so do I. No probs guvnor :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Google Chrome browser already includes Adobe® Flash® Player built-in. Google Chrome will automatically update when new versions of Flash Player are available. :)

I wonder now if we have a 64bit version that actually works, or will Internet Explorer 64bit be left out again with crack-handed implementation again.

:user:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
The newly released Adobe Flash 10.3 looks like it has improved security and privacy protection,

Was that why it repeatedly came up as a threat with Kaspersky?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Was that why it repeatedly came up as a threat with Kaspersky?

Could well be - from what I remember, Kaspersky has the Secunia engine built in to search for known vulnerable versions (usually Flash and Adobe Reader!).

Ask a Question