Admin's note at logon

OscarVogel

Is there any way to get a message to always appear on Vista's logon screen?

Specifically, I want anyone who logs on to see a note that tells them what
the user's password is.

This Vista PC will be used by our engineers to test their software. It will
not be connected to our network. It only has one user. I don't want to
configure it to automatically logon because we will most probably add more
user accounts. Any one of our engineers may be rebooting the system, and I
want to make sure that they don't have any problem logging back on. I could
tape a post-it note to the monitor that says, "The password for 'User1' is
'P@ssw0rd', but I'd prefer having it appear on the logon screen.

I remember that in Windows 2000 Group Policy there was a way to add some
sort of Administrator's note to the logon box. Is there a simular
capability in Vista?

Thanks!

Anando [MVP]

Oscar,

If the user's password is not really private to him/her, why have a password at all ? Create
individual accounts for the specific engineers but dont password protect them. The machine would not
log in itself and would just wait at the welcome screen for a user to click on an user account.
Please tell me if I am missing something from your orginal question.

--
Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://www.anando.org/folder

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Oscar,
You can use group policy to make these changes
gpedit.msc
Computer configuration
-Windows Settings
--Security Settings
---Local Policies
----Security Options
:Interactive logon: Message title for users attempting to log on
This security setting allows the specification of a title to appear in the
title bar of the window that contains the Interactive logon: Message text
for users attempting to log on.

Computer configuration
-Windows Settings
--Security Settings
---Local Policies
----Security Options
:Interactive logon: Message text for users attempting to log on
This security setting specifies a text message that is displayed to users
when they log on.
This text is often used for legal reasons, for example, to warn users about
the ramifications of misusing company information or to warn them that
their actions may be audited.

Or registry at this location:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System;LegalNoticeCa
ption
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System;LegalNoticeTe
xt

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]