administrator rights

• Thread starter =?iso-8859-1?B?RGFuaWVsIEP0dOk=?=
  • Start date
?

=?iso-8859-1?B?RGFuaWVsIEP0dOk=?=

I love Vista. One of the things I can't get used to, though, is that some programs call for administrator rights, which I am supposed to have according to the Control panel, but which different software programs claim I don't. (e.g., installing Retrospect backup software by Dantz told me I didn,t have admin rights).

Hope they change this in future service packs. I *am* an admin on my machine but it doesn't always come across to certain software programs.

Dan
Sudbury, Canada

M

Mike Brannigan

I love Vista. One of the things I can't get used to, though, is that
some programs call for administrator rights, which I am supposed to
have according to the Control panel, but which different software
programs claim I don't. (e.g., installing Retrospect backup software
by Dantz told me I didn,t have admin rights).

Hope they change this in future service packs. I *am* an admin on my
machine but it doesn't always come across to certain software
programs.

Dan
Sudbury, Canada

Dan,

There is nothing to change - you need to read and understand how UAC
works in the sense of admin rights see
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/aa905108.aspx
If you want to change the way UAC works then do that - but be advised
of the increase risk you expose yourself to.

R

Robert Firth

Right. This is a new security feature called User Account Control. You are an administrator, but the programs you run do not have administrative priveleges by default. This will protect you from malware trying to run damaging scripts without your knowledge.

If you must run a program with administrative priveleges, right click on the icon and select "run as administrator".

If this is not good enough for you, you may also disable User Account Control in the User's section of Control Panel. However, I strongly advise against that because that would be working against the new security features Microsoft has built into Windows Vista. In addition, disabling UAC also disable Internet Explorer's protected mode.

For more information, visit: http://www.winvistainfo.org/security.htm and http://www.winvistainfo.org/vista.htm.

--
/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* Robert Firth *
* Windows Vista x86 RTM *
* http://www.WinVistaInfo.org *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */

I love Vista. One of the things I can't get used to, though, is that some programs call for administrator rights, which I am supposed to have according to the Control panel, but which different software programs claim I don't. (e.g., installing Retrospect backup software by Dantz told me I didn,t have admin rights).

Hope they change this in future service packs. I *am* an admin on my machine but it doesn't always come across to certain software programs.

Dan
Sudbury, Canada

D

Daniel Cote

Thanks. It's just that they should show you as "admin" unless you try are. How about finding another word for it.

At least 2 of my programs so far have requested Admin Rights... but I CANNOT simply right click on the program to run as admin etc... Had to log on as Administrator, not as my usual self.

oh well.

Dan

Dan
Sudbury, Canada

A

andyistic

One thing you can do is to activate the Administrator account then log into that.
Using this specific account (not some other one with administrator rights), you can use the system
without ever seeing a UAC notice, and no app will fail from not having admin rights.

I don't really recommend using this account unless you really can't do your task any other way.
Using Administrator is VERY risky. If you don't know what you are doing, you can cause serious problems.
Be sure to disable the account immediately after you have completed your task, then resume using your normal account.

-- Andy

Dan
Sudbury, Canada

Ask a Question