Windows XP Administrator has prohibited acces to CD/DVD ROM

Reaction score
Hey,

my problem is when I turn on my comp this message appears: Administrator has prohibited acces to CD/DVD ROM.
So wehn i open My Computer i see my cd drive, dvd drive, floppy drive and USB drive circled and cross with a red sign (sign as on no smoking). When i try to click one one it says: access is denied.

I tried everything, from user accounts to security settings and so on, i cant get anything to work. I also tried system restore but no matter what point it is still there. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Hmmm

Well has your system Admin ACTUALLY prohibited you from that? or is it a personal PC that you're just happening to have that problem with? If it's a personal one...it's just permissions problems...

Reaction score
I am the Administrator and its my private PC (well my cousins to be precise). I saw on this forum a topic which is in compliance with mine. The guy thought it is permission probems too but it seemed its something else. Wait Ill try to find and and post it here.

Reaction score
Ummmm I didnt try all on that page cause the guy didnt say which program he installed that caused the problem and he didnt say which processes he ended in the Task manager. If I knew I could prolly fix it

Reaction score
K np, the only problem is that Im not currently on that computer so I will ask you to drop by tomorrow and check this post.

thank you very much

Reaction score
Amalthea said:
I am the Administrator and its my private PC (well my cousins to be precise). I saw on this forum a topic which is in compliance with mine. The guy thought it is permission probems too but it seemed its something else. Wait Ill try to find and and post it here.
What admin setting's have you set up on this pc?

Reaction score
what do u mean by admin settings? if u think in local security everything is set up as it should be, atleast thats what i think, please be more precise.

Reaction score
Amalthea said:
Hey,

my problem is when I turn on my comp this message appears: Administrator has prohibited acces to CD/DVD ROM.
When you set the pc up you must have disabled a setting for this message to appear? As the administrator when you put in your admin password you would be able to over ride this setting, do you have these rights to do so???

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes I have administrator rights, when I click start on the very top says my name (name of the aacount) When I click on that account it says, for example XXXXXX, Administrator. Thats why it is weird.

Reaction score
Hi....
This is Amit Chokhani and i am having the same problem with my system. would like to know if you have found a solution to this problem

Reaction score
i tried re-installing windows xp which solves the issue...... for four to five days only and this is too bugging

Reaction score
This thread is 4 months old

amitchokhani said:
Hi....
This is Amit Chokhani and i am having the same problem with my system. would like to know if you have found a solution to this problem
If you need help it would be better to start a new thread on the matter.
I see you have already, please do not post twice on the matter it will only delay helping you.!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've been having the same problem and ended up wiping out everything and reinstalling XP.

I don't have Intel desktop utilities but my restore disk does install some Acer desktop utilities and I think that is the culprit. Things started to go kittywumpus when I was removing some startup files I didn't want.

This time I setup Administrator passwords at every turn. If it starts again I will uninstall the Acer desktop. For now, I will leave well enough alone!

Reaction score
I had the same trouble, the uninstall of intel desktop utilities returned my drives to normal....but the "no-smoking" signs are still on all my icons. They work ok, it's just irritating to see the "bad" icon every day. Any hints on how to fix that?

Ask a Question