Address bar problem

Hello.

My Mom is having problems getting her address bar to work. She will put in a
website and it will just hang. It won't go to the web address that she wants.
She has restored it back a few days and it will work fine for a day or two
and then it goes back to not working again. She is running Windows XP. She
has also done a virus and spyware scan and nothing has showed up. She hasn't
downloaded anything new lately either. Anyone have any suggestions as to how
I can fix this for her?

Thanks.

Don Varnau

Hi,
There's a good chance that this problem was caused by an update.

First go to Control Panel> Add or remove programs. Check the "Show updates"
box at the top. Look for Security Update KB908531. Uninstall it. That update
has been revised and re-released. If Automatic Update wants to download and
install it again, allow it.

More information at:
Problems in Windows Explorer/ Windows shell due to 908531
http://www.aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=19125

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don, You have been the most helpful person so far. I have been having this
same problem ever since 4/17/06. I have been going through these listings
diligently and could only find answers that were too "computer complicated"
for me to figure out. I tried this because it was very easy for me to
understand and IT WORKED! Thank you very, very, very much. I hope others
have the same results I had. I was not looking forward to contacting
Microsoft and having to pay their high email, chat or phone fees for
something which Microsoft screwed up in the first place.

RdWngsFn said:
Hello.

My Mom is having problems getting her address bar to work. She will put in a
website and it will just hang. It won't go to the web address that she wants.
She has restored it back a few days and it will work fine for a day or two
and then it goes back to not working again. She is running Windows XP. She
has also done a virus and spyware scan and nothing has showed up. She hasn't
downloaded anything new lately either. Anyone have any suggestions as to how
I can fix this for her?

Thanks.

I was also having a problem with the address bar and tried so many different things. Thank you so much Don for such an easy to follow solution.

Same problem w/ the address bar, but I don't have 908531 in my updates. Any
suggestions?

Thanks.

RdWngsFn said:
Hello.

My Mom is having problems getting her address bar to work. She will put in a
website and it will just hang. It won't go to the web address that she wants.
She has restored it back a few days and it will work fine for a day or two
and then it goes back to not working again. She is running Windows XP. She
has also done a virus and spyware scan and nothing has showed up. She hasn't
downloaded anything new lately either. Anyone have any suggestions as to how
I can fix this for her?

Thanks.

I was also having a problem with the address bar and tried so many different things. Thank you so much Don for such an easy to follow solution.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Conduct a thorough search for malware.

See these sites for help:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Malware Removal and Prevention Overview - CastleCopsWiki:
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Overview
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.html
Removing Malware:
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]