ADDING DISKS TO AN ARRAY ON DELL PERC 3/SC CONTROLLER

G

I am using the Windows 2003 Server operating system on a Dell Power Edge 1600SC and recently added 2 new drives to 3 existing drives on Virtual Disk 0 under Array Group 0, all drives are identical in size and make. Went throught the Dell Open Manage Array manager to add the disks and all appears fine with the increase in array size and all disks showing up as a part of the Virtual Disk. HOWEVER, when I go to the Windows Disk Manager to access the new drive space, it does not show up under Disk 0. There is a new Disk 1 entry with 512 GB of space that I can't access at all. First of all, why did it create a new disk and how does it see 512GB when I only added 2 disks @ 33.87GB??? When I make any attempt to access this space in Disk Manager, I get an error message saying that the operation was cancelled due to an internal error. Dell insists that it's not their error since it all shows up correctly under the Array Manager. Any suggestions on what went wrong and how to correct the problem -- other than backing up all data and completley redoing the array and reinstalling everything?!?!?!

B

Bjorn Landemoo

Brenda

That's funny. Array Manager should replace Windows Disk Management when you
install it. You should not be able to start Windows Disk Management at all.
This is what Array Manager v3.2 says:

"Installing Array Manager on a Windows 2000 server replaces Microsoft Disk
Management, the built-in disk and volume manager that comes with Windows
2000. Array Manager extends the functionality of Disk Management with both
hardware and software RAID management, while maintaining the disk and
volume functions originally found in Disk Management."

Does it look the same in Array Manager Disk View?

Best regards

Bjorn

Ask a Question