AD Server Object I need to delete - the server does not exist anymore!

G

I am trying to delete an AD object which will not let me; I get the following error: "Active Directory - The DSA Object cannot be deleted
I am trying to delete a server object from AD Sites and Services\Sites\Default-First-Site-Name\ServersThe server object is a E2K Domain Controller, which I have been able to delete from other AD MMC - Users & Computers - after confirming that it would never come back online
It Won't - it was a virtual Server, created on Virtual PC 2004, which I deleted without being able to run DCPromo to demote it - I couldn't
I deleted it, because it would not boot - only in safe mode - would not repair - even when trying restore mode - and I could do nothing with it. Because it was in Virtual PC, I don't know why I thought this, I figured I could delete it without repercussions... Wrong
Now, this server is preventing me from installing Exchange 2003 on another W2K server, because Forestprep will not complete, giving a message to the effect that server "" is not ready and not answering..
This, I suspect, refers to the server I deleted, and the only place it still appears is in Sites and Services
Can anyone help me with deleting this object once and for all
I know I made several mistakes along the way, but now I am stuck in this situation - and I need desperatly to get rid of any and all references to the server I deleted without demoting..
Thank you in advance

G

I found my own answer in:Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 216498
Very useful info for demotion errors...

Ask a Question