activation on volume lic. media

OM

I am very confused about the activation on volume lic. media of Vista.
Hope someone can help me out.

I read many documents about Vista activation and they all said Vista
installation requires activation for volume license media. But when I
talked to the Microsoft customer service department (both technical and
licensing), some of them said activation is not required for Volume lic.
media. I was confused.

The reason I want to find out this information is that I would like to
know what would happen if I restore a Vista image (created from a volume
license media)on a PC which has its copy of oem Vista activated.
Microsoft allows reimaging of operating system using volume licensing
media. This works for XP volume licensing media because it doesn't
require activation. But if Vista volume license media require
activation, does that mean I need to purchase a volume license for this
"new installation".

Thanks

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Volume Activation 2.0 Frequently Asked Questions
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb335291.aspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

[...]

All Windows Vista VL installations require a VL license
and product activation.

Rick Rogers

Hi,

All volume licenses now require activation via MAK or KMS (whichever is
appropriate for your business). You don't need to purchase an additional
license when you replace an image, you just need to reactivate it. You
should be able to glean more information on this from your volume license
provider or partner.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

OM

Rick said:
Hi,

All volume licenses now require activation via MAK or KMS (whichever is
appropriate for your business). You don't need to purchase an additional
license when you replace an image, you just need to reactivate it. You
should be able to glean more information on this from your volume
license provider or partner.

Thanks,

I talked to many people from Microsoft and I can't get a solid answer on
this. I know reimaging using a VL media doesn't require additional
license, I just don't know what I should do after deploying the vista
image (created by the VL media)onto these new machines. Many
organizations purchase machines with oem OS installed and deploy their
own images using the VL license media. XP doesn't has this problem
because the VL media doesn't require activation, but what happen to
Vista. This is a very common scenario, but it is very difficult to find
the information.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

You cannot use an OEM license with VL media.
An OEM license is only valid for use with OEM
installation media.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

Thanks,

I talked to many people from Microsoft and I can't get a solid answer on
this. I know reimaging using a VL media doesn't require additional
license, I just don't know what I should do after deploying the vista
image (created by the VL media)onto these new machines. Many
organizations purchase machines with oem OS installed and deploy their
own images using the VL license media. XP doesn't has this problem
because the VL media doesn't require activation, but what happen to
Vista. This is a very common scenario, but it is very difficult to find
the information.

Volume licencing has to be re-activated every 6 months with Vista.
So, if you have "borrowed" a copy, you are wasting your time!

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello OM,
If I am reading your question correctly I think the answer it's answered in
the reimaging document on this link.
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/volbrief.mspx
in particular this section:
Reimaging Eligibility

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:55:54 -0700
|> From: OM <[email protected]>
|> Subject: activation on volume lic. media
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|> I am very confused about the activation on volume lic. media of Vista.
|> Hope someone can help me out.
|>
|> I read many documents about Vista activation and they all said Vista
|> installation requires activation for volume license media. But when I
|> talked to the Microsoft customer service department (both technical and
|> licensing), some of them said activation is not required for Volume lic.
|> media. I was confused.
|>
|> The reason I want to find out this information is that I would like to
|> know what would happen if I restore a Vista image (created from a volume
|> license media)on a PC which has its copy of oem Vista activated.
|> Microsoft allows reimaging of operating system using volume licensing
|> media. This works for XP volume licensing media because it doesn't
|> require activation. But if Vista volume license media require
|> activation, does that mean I need to purchase a volume license for this
|> "new installation".
|>
|> Thanks

OM

Rick said:
Hi,

After deploying your VL image, you activate it using the one of the
methods I mentioned previously. Beyond that I am not sure I understand
what you're asking.

Hi Rick,

Let's say I activate the imaged installation (VL media) using the MAK
method. This obviously will reduce one activation count from the MAK
key. If I have purchased 5 Vista VL, I only have four activations
available for this MAK key now. This doesn't make sence. Isn't it number
of activations should be equal to the number license that the customers
bought from MS. How could I activate all my VL Vista installation if one
has been taken from the reimaging.

OM

Yes, I looked at this documents. It tells you what reimaging right is,
but it didn't tell you how I should deal with the Vista activation
situation.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
You have to choose whether you are going to use KMS activation methods or
the method using MAK keys.
You set up a KMS server, then your client machines activate against it.
There isn't a count associated with the number of licenses in your
agreement that the server is limited to, it would just work with those OEM
machines that you are adding.
With a MAK, the key acts like retail activation, only it allows for
multiple different hardware to be activated. The count is limited by your
agreement, however you call and request more activation be added. You
would need to explain that you were adding OEM machines and if there were
questions about that you could point them back to the reimaging document.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 07:58:49 -0700
|> From: OM <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: activation on volume lic. media
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|> Yes, I looked at this documents. It tells you what reimaging right is,
|> but it didn't tell you how I should deal with the Vista activation
|> situation.
|>
|> Darrell Gorter[MSFT] wrote:
|> > Hello OM,
|> > If I am reading your question correctly I think the answer it's
answered in
|> > the reimaging document on this link.
|> > http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/volbrief.mspx
|> > in particular this section:
|> > Reimaging Eligibility
|> >

|> > Thanks,
|> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|> >
|> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|> > --------------------

Vista.

Vista

OM

Thanks

Calling MS and let them know the situation is probably what I should do.

Hello,
You have to choose whether you are going to use KMS activation methods or
the method using MAK keys.
You set up a KMS server, then your client machines activate against it.
There isn't a count associated with the number of licenses in your
agreement that the server is limited to, it would just work with those OEM
machines that you are adding.
With a MAK, the key acts like retail activation, only it allows for
multiple different hardware to be activated. The count is limited by your
agreement, however you call and request more activation be added. You
would need to explain that you were adding OEM machines and if there were
questions about that you could point them back to the reimaging document.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 07:58:49 -0700
|> From: OM <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: activation on volume lic. media
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|> Yes, I looked at this documents. It tells you what reimaging right is,
|> but it didn't tell you how I should deal with the Vista activation
|> situation.
|>
|> Darrell Gorter[MSFT] wrote:
|> > Hello OM,
|> > If I am reading your question correctly I think the answer it's
answered in
|> > the reimaging document on this link.
|> > http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/volbrief.mspx
|> > in particular this section:
|> > Reimaging Eligibility
|> >

|> > Thanks,
|> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|> >
|> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|> > --------------------

Vista.

Vista

Seth

OM said:
Hi Rick,

Let's say I activate the imaged installation (VL media) using the MAK
method. This obviously will reduce one activation count from the MAK key.
If I have purchased 5 Vista VL, I only have four activations available for
this MAK key now. This doesn't make sence. Isn't it number of activations
should be equal to the number license that the customers bought from MS.
How could I activate all my VL Vista installation if one has been taken
from the reimaging.

You don't activate the installation prior to SYSPREP and imaging. Only
activate after it has been deployed.