activating windows xp

vedant.lath

My windows xp installation got corrupted from somewhere. I restored the
registry and all the files from a backup but now when I start windows
xp and login, it comes with a activate windows dialog and says that if
you don't activate the comp will shutdown. When I click remind later
then it logs off and returns to the login screen. When I click Yes for
activation, there comes a big dialog box nothing is usable except the
buttons on the dialog box. Now to activate windows it needs a internet
connection. I have a PPPoE Internet connection and it requires a
username and password. I am unable to connect to the internet because
there is no start menu, no taskbar, nothing except the dialog box. So
how do I connect to the Internet? I have tried using a proxy
server(WinGate) but windows could not connect to the internet. I have
important softwares installed on that OS which would take a lot of time
to install again on a new installation.

Perform a repair install of your XP system: the registry restore obviously
isn't a total success.

Boot up from the XP Install CD:
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows
installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to
start the repair.

Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not
press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue
as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will
remain intact.

Do not immediately activate over the internet when asked, enable the XP
firewall before connecting to the internet. You can activate after the
firewall is enabled. Control Panel - Network Connections.

Right click the connection you use, Properties, and there is a check box on
the advanced page.

Reapply updates or service packs applied since initial Windows XP
installation, skip update to SP1 if you do SP2 as it is a total rollup of all
updates anyway.

Harley Henderson [MSFT]

Hello;

When you get the dialog box that asks you to reactivate Windows you should
be able to select an option to activate over the phone. It will require
you to read off long strings of numbers and letters, but you should be able
to accomplish this without an active internet connection.

An alternative option would be to boot to Recovery Console and search for
the following file.

Windows\System32\Wpa.bak

If it exists rename the Wpa.dbl file to Wpa.old and copy the Wpa.bak file
to Wpa.dbl then restart the machine.

If this also fails then the in-place upgrade metioned above is the next
step we would recomend.

Best regards,

Harley Henderson MCSE NT 4.0 / 2000 / 2003
Microsoft Enterprise Platform Support
Windows Server Setup Support Team

Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS03-039? If not, Microsoft strongly advises you to
review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft Security
Bulletin MS03-039
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms03-039.asp and/or to
visit Windows Update at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to install the
patch. Running the Windows Update scan will help to insure you are current
with all security patches, not just MS03-039.

Microsoft also highly recommends to all customers that you visit the