ACS - what's that in XP?

After hibernating, message pops up that Windows encountered problems with ACS
and need to close .... what is this?

Og

ana said:
After hibernating, message pops up that Windows encountered problems with
ACS
and need to close .... what is this?

Do you have computer games installed?
Wikipedia definition of ACS:
Action Code Script, a scripting language used in video games such as HeXen
and modern Doom ports.
Steve

no, don't have any games installed

Og said:
Do you have computer games installed?
Wikipedia definition of ACS:
Action Code Script, a scripting language used in video games such as HeXen
and modern Doom ports.
Steve

no, don't have altec lansing speakers - and I have gone through this support
site (kb/261357). could not find any of the speakers mentioned in my device
manager.

Nepatsfan

In
ana said:
After hibernating, message pops up that Windows encountered
problems with ACS
and need to close .... what is this?

You may want to look in Event Viewer for more clues as to the
nature of this problem.

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools and launch Event
Viewer.
In the left hand pane, click on Application to see if there was
an event recorded for this problem.
Do the same for System.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

I checked and yes, there was an event recorded as an error in both
application and system. The error message said : faulting application acs.exe
version 6.0.290.faulting module athcfg20U.dll version 6.0.2.90 fault address
0x00011259

what should I do?

If this machine is a laptop, or has any wireless cards installed - Toshiba
likes this one - ACS.EXE is related to the Atheros Wireless Devices, if they
are installed. I would be curious, what kind of pc is it and how do you
connect to a network (even the internet)?

Nepatsfan

As Christopher029 has pointed out, it looks like your problem
is associated with a wireless ethernet card. You might want to
check with the manufacturer to see if this is a known problem.
There may be a solution available from them.

You might also check on the computer manufacturer's web site
for the latest drivers for your wireless card. Check to see if
they have a download for the Atheros Client Utility. Installing
the latest version may fix your problem.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

In

hello Chris K and Nepatsfan

sorry for the late reply. yes, I am indeed using Lenovo ThinkPad T60. and I
connect wireless to my DSL. and now that you've pointed it out, is this also
related to connectivity problem? because in addition to this ACS issue, the
laptop sometimes fail to detect wireless connection upon starting. I have to
re-start a couple of times until it finally detects it.

Thanks...will try this.

Nepatsfan said:
As Christopher029 has pointed out, it looks like your problem
is associated with a wireless ethernet card. You might want to
check with the manufacturer to see if this is a known problem.
There may be a solution available from them.

You might also check on the computer manufacturer's web site
for the latest drivers for your wireless card. Check to see if
they have a download for the Atheros Client Utility. Installing
the latest version may fix your problem.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

In

Joined
Feb 26, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have exactly the same issue on the same computer, a ThinkPad T60p. I think using the latest? drivers as provided by ThiknkVantage System Update caused the problem. Does anyone have a solution that works?

Thanks.