Windows XP Acronis True Image

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
After reading about V_R's hard drive problem, it spurred me on to making a proper hard drive image again instead of just backing up all the files I have.

I remembered Floppy/Mucks raving about Acronis True Image... and boy it seems very good :D I'm on the 15 day trial at the moment, which should at least let me back my PC up to an external drive as a full image. :D

Edit : Only £25 to buy too, which isn't too bad considering.

Reaction score
Thanks for that Ian:thumb: A bit better than just saving all on C: to a DVD-R disc
Just downloading my free trial version now:thumb: :D

Update: £25 now that's not bad, i'm off to read up about it & have a play;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does it work on RAID 0

As I understand it, RAID 0 is two disks with the data split between them.
Does this Drive Imaging Software work on that when it comes to the all important recovery bit ?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
tellboy said:
As I understand it, RAID 0 is two disks with the data split between them.
Does this Drive Imaging Software work on that when it comes to the all important recovery bit ?

I enthused about this software originally and within it's limitations it's a fine piece of software.

I'm still using V8.0 and no, that version will not restore a RAID 0 backup.

It backs up your RAID 0 setup Ok, but when it comes to restoring it will not see two disks as a RAID 0 setup, or one disk, only as two seperate disks. This despite the disks having been configured in the motherboard's controller.

I e-mailed Acronis asking if there was a solution to this and a few days later received just a standard e-mail response spouting off the usual jargon about what True Image can do. It did not address what it could not do.

The current version of ATI is labelled V9.0, I don't know if it will restore to a RAID 0 setup, but I don't think so. This was one of the questions I asked in my e-mail to Acronis, whether V9.0 would work with RAID 0 setups.

I have, however, used ATI on many occasions to do a perfect restore of a hard disk and as I said, within it's limitations, it's a fine piece of software and worth the money.

Damn shame about the RAID thingie though :(

Reaction score
Is there any that will do it ?

Thanks for that reply. Is there any that will restore Raid 0 as far as you know.
I have Ghost 9 with my last PC (single HDD) but it seemed to get such a slating I have never considered using it since.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
tellboy said:
Thanks for that reply. Is there any that will restore Raid 0 as far as you know.
I have Ghost 9 with my last PC (single HDD) but it seemed to get such a slating I have never considered using it since.
Set-up RAID correctly and you don't need back-up software ... it will do it for you. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
tellboy said:

Sorry tellboy but the only backup software I'm familiar with is the Acronis True Image. I don't know much about Ghost at all.

And Mr Mucks - you're certainly right about a RAID setup being able to back itself up. What you fail to mention is that it's a really expensive option ;)

For single disck backup, Acronis True Image is a good piece of software that offers an economical way to backup a hard disk.

Oh, and if you do buy the software, don't forget to make the boot CD :D

That does help :nod:

Ask a Question