ACER support diabolical

Reaction score
Now I'm gonna go down in your opinions for this post....

Proud owner of a Acer Ferrari 3200
I luv it
Had 2 hardware faults
Acers itself doesn't do repairs.... they contract it out.
(Or atleast this was true 3 years ago)

After speaking to Acer support I was given details of the repair centre.
Explained my profession and exaggerated the amount of laptops we sell/repair.
Gave my diagnosis and explained I was capable of repairs, got sent the technicians service manual, got sent the parts to repair it myself, sent back the damaged parts.
Had an email from Acer confirming that my warrenty was still valid after the repairs.

The problem, like always, is talking to someone who doesn't know/ doesn't want to know.

All this took 1-2 weeks.

Cost ?..... Nothing..... they even paid for the return postage :D

Reaction score
JaLing said:
Now I'm gonna go down in your opinions for this post....

Proud owner of a Acer Ferrari 3200
I luv it
Had 2 hardware faults
Acers itself doesn't do repairs.... they contract it out.
(Or atleast this was true 3 years ago)

After speaking to Acer support I was given details of the repair centre.
Explained my profession and exaggerated the amount of laptops we sell/repair.
Gave my diagnosis and explained I was capable of repairs, got sent the technicians service manual, got sent the parts to repair it myself, sent back the damaged parts.
Had an email from Acer confirming that my warrenty was still valid after the repairs.

The problem, like always, is talking to someone who doesn't know/ doesn't want to know.

All this took 1-2 weeks.

Cost ?..... Nothing..... they even paid for the return postage :D

The hardwares fine. Hitachi inners with Pioneer disk drive, But their software and support is terrible. I had mine 2 days and the acer tour installation was stuck permanently on the screen and when i rang them they said "no problem just ring our GEEK SQUAD and they will get on it". they then proceeded to give me an 0900 nomber at £1.75 a minute. First factory restore commenced, i didnt need a £40 phonecall for that. It gets confusing sometimes though as acer have eSettings managment/ eNet management and a lot of others that do exactly what windows does and you dont need 2 software systems.

Reaction score
ToRRenTPimP said:
It gets confusing sometimes though as acer have eSettings managment/ eNet management and a lot of others that do exactly what windows does and you dont need 2 software systems.

Erm need I stress it anymore, for anybody who has an Acer computer, anything that says Acer with an E before it, get rid of it...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Two of my friends.

Each bought an Acer laptop eight months ago.

Both agree the purchase was one of the worst decisions they'd made in their lives.

Nothing but problems and frustration, apparently.

I just say as I hear.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Two of my friends.

Each bought an Acer laptop eight months ago.

Both agree the purchase was one of the worst decisions they'd made in their lives.

Nothing but problems and frustration, apparently.

I just say as I hear.

Nothing wrong with saying as you hear..I stopped working for them, because of the way things were done in support, or should I say weren't done, now I work for a company that pretty much provides the supprt and repair Acer don't..

Reaction score
I'm glad i never paid for mine, it came with a mobile modem from the Car-Phone Warehouse as free and that is still too expensive!! :mad:

Last edited:
Reaction score
How's this for a laugh, the laptop I have been using to run WCG is an Acer Aspire 3680, I have been monitoring the CPU use and tempratures..They have been incredibly high, seen as WCG is the only thing it was been used for I thought best to monitor it, well it just went pop, bit of a whinning screaching noise followed by some smoke out the side vent...Woooohooo it blew up...Ah well sh*t happens

Reaction score
ACER 'Infoteam' are a major joke.

the bench technitions are clueless.

i have a aspire laptop.. near new, spent most of its life in the repair centre due to a faulty backlight in the screen.

first repair.. they changed the cd-rom and soundcard... idiots and this effects the backlight how.. bad enough they never informed me that the unit was completed and dispatched, took me near 1mth to get it back from DHL due to work.

second repair. a basic in out job, updated the date on the bios.. 'incorrect date'. Again this did not fix my faulty backlight.

third repair.. this one is a classic.. sent unit on the 23rd, they recieved it on the 23rd, they dispatched it on the 24th.. acer report says reseated/reassembled unit, soak tested over 48hrs. backlight did fail.

but once again i get the laptop back and there is no backlight...
they managed to do all that work in under 24hrs. they are a bunch of cowboys, clueless.

each time they sent me the machine back, i took photo's of the failure with there report in the image to prove the date's ect.. i have sent a letter to the complaints deppartment requesting a new unit or a full refund.. they sent me a letter back saying i will be contacted in 10 working days.

anybody awere of passmark performance test?

mine scored 169.0 dualcore
my brothers cheaper dualcore scored 471.0

there is somethin seriously wrong here...

make things worse i have a real copy of XP on my vista laptop.. desided to put vista on, installed fine.. when i went to activate my vista it says my key is already in use. only the repair centre and my family would of had access to my laptop key.

ACER are cowboys,

i had good phone support. no problems with DHL. i blame the technitions.

Reaction score
My Mrs has had an Acer Aspire 3610 for over 2 years now and it's never had a single problem.Reading about Acer support and customer service this fact makes me well happy as it seems to be non existent.

Reaction score
First of all, well allow me to say hello to everybody as this is my first post in this forum (which is great btw).

Now let's get back to serious stuff: I've had an Acer Aspire 5630 for one year and a half almost. It seems like there is something wrong and I would like to have it checked. Now I should still find out whether the laptop is under warranty or not, but since the Acer servce seems to be so poor I was wondering if it's not the case to bring my laptop to a private business which is possibly also an Acer dealer.
Can anyone of you guys give me a piece of advise? Condidering that I live in London I guess it shouldn't be that hard to find someone who can ckeck my laptop, right?

Thank you,

Enrico

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello to you Waynos and thanks for the welcome!

Well, the thing is that the laptop get quickly and easily warm. I had a problem like this with my old laptop (a Toshiba) and it eventually died, so now I am kind of obsessed when this things happen. I remember that with the Toshiba the problem was basically the fan which stopped working.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Well overtime there is going to be a bit of dust build up around the heatsink and fan which is why it could be getting warmer quicker.

Does the fan come on all the time or is it just when you are using it for extended periods of time???

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Well its gonna get hot then, dust build up over time, hotter weather at the moment, being used constantly, its gonna get hot mate.

I wouldn't really worry at the moment but if it starts to hang/ becomes unstable or shuts down on its own then there is a problem.

MadXgraphics fixes laptops, you could ask him as he works in London, dunno if he would mind or not but worth a chance.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Well its gonna get hot then, dust build up over time, hotter weather at the moment, being used constantly, its gonna get hot mate.

I wouldn't really worry at the moment but if it starts to hang/ becomes unstable or shuts down on its own then there is a problem.

MadXgraphics fixes laptops, you could ask him as he works in London, dunno if he would mind or not but worth a chance.
It did Shut down on its own the other day and sometimes it will block for some seconds. Maybe I should have it checked, shouln't I? :)

Reaction score
Italian1980 said:
It did Shut down on its own the other day and sometimes it will block for some seconds. Maybe I should have it checked, shouln't I? :)

Hi Italian1980
As others have pointed out, I worked for Acer in the past, and buy that I mean a good few years ago...I do work for a company now that repairs Acer...
And if the Administrators allow it I could give you the company name..
First thing i'd like to ask, is how long had you been using the laptop that day it shut down..? Have you or anybody else tinkered with any settings in the BIOS..?
Dust build up on old machines can cause over heating..I know you said the laptop was new, but with ACer, especially the Aspire range, if you bought one recently chances are all you have bought was a factory refurb with upgraded HDD, memory and Vista installed..Chances are the laptop was end of line and culd already be 2 years old...First thing i'd do, if you're ok dismantling laptops is to flip it over and remove the bottom..Fairly easy on you model..Then check to see how much dust is around and clear it off..Also while the bottom is off check to see if the fan is working..Although if it wasn't you would know..ACER's have a rather ear piercing warning beep when the fan gives up life..

Reaction score
ACER is awful

I bought Acer 9920G laptop 3.5 months ago and was generally quite pleased with it so far.

However, last week and switched it on and got this message upon load up:

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable.

PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM.

Operating System not found.

Well, I got a bit worries, googled this on my other computer, some other forums mentioned that it could be due to the Hard Disk failure.

Anyway, I took it back to the shop where I brought it from, the techy guy powered the laptop and it worked fine (???). He said it might be due to some loose wire inside that got back into place whilst I was carrying it to the shop.

I was quite relieved, took the laptop back home, powered it and got the same error message as before!!! I unplugged the whole thing again, carried it around the house and it was working again (just).

I then called Acer support line and spoke to the rudest man on Earth. I explained what happened and he said it was due to the loose hard drive. I asked if I could send the laptop back to them so someone could have a look at it and fix the loose hard drive. He said I would have to pay for this because the laptop was working at this current moment. I told him that the laptop was only 3.5 months old and still under warranty and I should not pay for fixing any manufacturing defects. He then said that it was not Acer's fault because I did not buy the laptop from them but from the shop. When I said how it was shop's fault that they receive faulty products from the manufacturer, he told me that he could not help me because "operating system going missing" is a software issue and nothing to do with Acer.

This is the most appalling customer service I have ever witnessed - it's absolutely shocking!

Having read comments from the other people in this thread I am quite worried to even send the laptop back to them.

Ask a Question