Access Accessing Desktop Files on Hard drive

Reaction score
I am running windows xp sp2. My primary computer seems to have had a motherboard meltdown. Left on thursday, would not boot on friday. Cannot get to cmos, or anything. I removed the harddrive and put it in another computer to get work files off of the drive and transfer them to server. On boot it says"error loading operting system".
I hooked up the hard drive as a slave and used explorer to go through and get the files. I can see the Desktop directory in documents and settings\****\desktop, but i get an access denied when i try to get to the files on desktop. I have tried using the Dos Command prompt and have the same result. I have booted in safe mode w/ prompt, same results. I have tried making a user profile with same name and passwords, no luck. These are files on the desktop, not shortcuts. Does anyone know how i can copy these files?

Reaction score
Thank you very much. Nothing better than learning something new. Makes a day seem a little more complete.

Ask a Question