access "my documents" after delete user?

I did something stupid and am hoping I can retrieve. I'm using Windows 2000
and SBS2000 on our servr. Here's what happened:

1) I bought a new computer and transferred all my info, including My
Documents from my old computer to the new using a software program.

2) The software program messed something up so I couldn't send emails using
Outlook on my new box. In frustration one day so I could use Outlook, I
deleted myself as a user on my new box (I have admin privledges). Suddenly,
all my documents in My Documents (3 years of information) is no longer
accessible.

3) I was finally able to add myself as a user again on my new box. But, My
Documents still isn't showing up.

My question: is this gone forever? Or can I retrieve somehow?

Please help - thanks in advance!

AS

Pegasus \(MVP\)

as said:
Hi,

I did something stupid and am hoping I can retrieve. I'm using Windows 2000
and SBS2000 on our servr. Here's what happened:

1) I bought a new computer and transferred all my info, including My
Documents from my old computer to the new using a software program.

2) The software program messed something up so I couldn't send emails using
Outlook on my new box. In frustration one day so I could use Outlook, I
deleted myself as a user on my new box (I have admin privledges). Suddenly,
all my documents in My Documents (3 years of information) is no longer
accessible.

3) I was finally able to add myself as a user again on my new box. But, My
Documents still isn't showing up.

My question: is this gone forever? Or can I retrieve somehow?

Please help - thanks in advance!

AS

You can scan your hard disk for the missing documents. If
they are still there then you would find them in a subfolder of
c:\documents and settings.

If you cannot find them then one of the following links may
have tools to retrieve them:
http://www.restorer2000.com/r2k.htm
http://www.hddrecovery.com.au
http://bootmaster.filerecovery.biz
http://www.runtime.org/ (GetDataBack)
http://www.runtime.org/ (has a trial version)
http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/filerecoverysecdownload.html

Your big mistake was not so much to delete your account
but to choose not to backup your important files to an
independent medium at regular intervals, e.g. weekly. A 2.5"
hard disk in an external USB case is a low-cost and highly
effective backup medium.

thanks!

Pegasus (MVP) said:
You can scan your hard disk for the missing documents. If
they are still there then you would find them in a subfolder of
c:\documents and settings.

If you cannot find them then one of the following links may
have tools to retrieve them:
http://www.restorer2000.com/r2k.htm
http://www.hddrecovery.com.au
http://bootmaster.filerecovery.biz
http://www.runtime.org/ (GetDataBack)
http://www.runtime.org/ (has a trial version)
http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/filerecoverysecdownload.html

Your big mistake was not so much to delete your account
but to choose not to backup your important files to an
independent medium at regular intervals, e.g. weekly. A 2.5"
hard disk in an external USB case is a low-cost and highly
effective backup medium.

Michel Merlin

Could you keep us aware if you retrieved your data or not? As
Pegasus appropriately pointed, your error wasn't to be stupid
(we all are), but to have forgotten for a while to take account
of it in backing up regularly. As we are all in the same boat,
we are eager to know what happened to your data (and we
bear with you).

Paris, Wed 29 Mar 2006 12:35:35 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----