Access Denied even after Taking Ownership

Mel

I can't get into my own documents folder, even after I used the safe
mode to take ownership.

Here's how I got to this point:

1. My 6-month old HP desktop broke. (motherboard problem)
2. I took the SATA 250mb drive out, and put it in a CompUSA enclosure
to turn it into an external hard drive, so I can save some important
stuff before sending the computer to HP.
3. I plugged it into a USB2 port in my 5-yr old 1.6mhz Gateway desktop
back-up computer.
4. Everything worked fine until I tried to look at my own documents
folder. (Mel's Documents) I could work with any file in any folder
including the other account on the computer (my wife), but I couldn't
get into my own documents!
5. I did the 308421 procedure at support.microsoft.com. I gave
ownership of the folder to Administrator. The only accounts that
showed were Administrator and Administrators. Now I can get into Mel's
Documents, but only when I am in the safe mode, and log on as the
administrator.

How do I gain access to the Mel's Documents folder when I log on
normally as Mel, rather than in the safe mode as Administrator? When I
log on normally, I can still do anything with any folder or file on the
entire hard drive, except for my own folder!!

Why am I denied access to my own folder, and no other folders?

Thanks for any info.

Mel

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Mel,

Assuming Windows XP Professional:

Login as Administrator, and then access the Security tab for the Mel's "My
Documents" folder. Add "Mel" to the list and give it full control. For more
information, see the following article.

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

[...]

I have XP home edition. Does that make a difference? If so, what do I
have to do differently?

Thanks,

Mel

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Start Windows in Safe Mode, and login as Administrator in order to see the
Security tab. Then you can assign Permissions normally.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

I have XP home edition. Does that make a difference? If so, what do I
have to do differently?

Thanks,

Mel

Mel

When I log in as Administrator in the Safe Mode, the only accounts
shown are "Administrator" and "Administrators"

The accounts for my wife and me are "Barb" and "Mel" and they don't
show up at this point. They only show when the computer is booted up
normally. How do I get these accounts to show up at this point in the
Safe Mode?

Thanks,

Mel

Ramesh said:
Mel,

Assuming Windows XP Professional:

Login as Administrator, and then access the Security tab for the Mel's "My
Documents" folder. Add "Mel" to the list and give it full control. For
more
information, see the following article.

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in
Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Simply login as "Administrator" via Safe Mode, and then assign the
Permissions.

Ramesh said:
Mel,

Assuming Windows XP Professional:

Login as Administrator, and then access the Security tab for the Mel's
"My
Documents" folder. Add "Mel" to the list and give it full control. For
more
information, see the following article.

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in
Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

Admiral Q

Ramesh said:
Mel,

Assuming Windows XP Professional:

Login as Administrator, and then access the Security tab for the Mel's
"My
Documents" folder. Add "Mel" to the list and give it full control. For
more
information, see the following article.

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in
Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

In other words, add MEL or BARB as you see fit, with the correct file
permission attibutes.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Correct! As I stated in my original post "Add "Mel" to the list and give it
full control."