access data from bad (laptop) hard drive

Reaction score
My laptop hard drive got toasted. I have to at least get some data out of that hard drive. I know that data is still there and it is possible to get it out, but not sure how do I get to it.

In regular PC we can attached the bad hard drive as secondary hard drive and try to get it that way, but I an not familiar with laptop.

I order new hard drive for laptop, which I will use to replace the bad one.

Does anybody have any suggestion on how to get data from bad laptop hard drive?

Thanks

Reaction score
Could you not put the hard drive it in a USB caddy enclosure and take it off that way?
Data recovery companies charge $$$$$

Reaction score
PC Craze said:
I suppose i need to buy this usb caddy thing right?
It would be the cheaper option, if it works.
Any local pc shop should be able to sell you one.

Reaction score
the cheapest option is to buy a "laptop HDD to standard parallel adpater" and put it in a desktop. I'm not sure what the propper name is for it but they only cost a couple of quid.

Reaction score
conclusion

I didn't wnated to conclude this thred in mystry so i am adding what i did.
Went and bought USB enclosure (see pic on attachment).It cost me $40.00. Which is ridiculous. It had just the connector inside a box and USB cable. I tried the working hard drive with that to verify if that expensive gadget work. It work great, but it didn’t work for my old bad hard drive. I think my old hard drive is totally fried. I suppose I can now keep that USB enclosure to use for external hard drive.
Thanks a lot for the comment as it helped me to come to conclusion I am out of luck unless I can spend fortune to take it to the data recovery place.

Attachments

• DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 150
Reaction score
Sounds to me like perhaps data recovery is the way ahead?

If the drive isnt working, the general reasons are as follows:

1. Failed heads
2. Failed/Corrupt firmware
3. Failed PCB
4. Combination of above

If your hard drive has an internal issue, then its going to cost a few dollars. I assume that Disklabs, http://www.disklabs.com wont be able to help as they are based in the UK, but there are some good US companies too.

Good luck.

Simon

Ask a Question