About PDC and BDC

G

I'd running a Domain with two servers, one is NT4 server which is the PDC, and the other one is a Win2k server. My question is: will the Win2k server become a BDC automcally ? And if not, how can I make this server to become a BDC ?
(That Win2k server isn't setted by me, but seems the people who setting it up haven't select the option for make this server to be a BDC when installing at the frist time, and the server is now joined the Domain, but it just login at it's local administrator a/c. I'd checked the user a/c in the NT4 server and this Win2k server, seems some(but not all, so strange) of the user a/c added at the NT4 server had synchronized to the Win2k server's local user group)

Thanks for any valuable suggestions.
Gary

S

serverguy

No, the Windows 2000 server cannot become a BDC on a Windows NT domain, it
must remain a member server only.
However, since free NT support is going away at the end of this year, it is
long overdue that you begin the migration plans up to a Windows 2000 domain,
especially since you already have a 2000 server.

Gary said:
I'd running a Domain with two servers, one is NT4 server which is the PDC,
and the other one is a Win2k server. My question is: will the Win2k server
become a BDC automcally ? And if not, how can I make this server to become a
BDC ?
(That Win2k server isn't setted by me, but seems the people who setting it
up haven't select the option for make this server to be a BDC when
installing at the frist time, and the server is now joined the Domain, but
it just login at it's local administrator a/c. I'd checked the user a/c in
the NT4 server and this Win2k server, seems some(but not all, so strange) of
the user a/c added at the NT4 server had synchronized to the Win2k server's
local user group)

J

Jeff Cochran

I'd running a Domain with two servers, one is NT4 server which is the PDC, and the other one is a Win2k server. My question is: will the Win2k server become a BDC automcally ?
No.

And if not, how can I make this server to become a BDC ?

You can't unless you upgrade to a W2K domain.
(That Win2k server isn't setted by me, but seems the people who setting it up haven't select the option for make this server to be a BDC when installing at the frist time, and the server is now joined the Domain, but it just login at it's local administrator a/c. I'd checked the user a/c in the NT4 server and this Win2k server, seems some(but not all, so strange) of the user a/c added at the NT4 server had synchronized to the Win2k server's local user group)

I don't think you're seeing what you think you are. NT domain
accounts won't replicate to a local server account. Perhaps the local
users group on the W2K sytem has the global Domain Users group as a
member, or perhaps the accounts were added manually.

Jeff

G

Thanks all for the reply.

Sound like I need to upgarde the domain from NT to Win2K. However, since my PDC WinNT can't be upgraded to Win2k (H/W is too old) and there's only one DC in my domain, any good suggestions for me to upgarde the domain simply?
(Can it work if I setup one new NT server and set it to be a DC, then disconnect the old PDC NT server, and upgrade this new one to Win2K ?)

Thx -Gary

Ask a Question