A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0 and sound problem

Egil Solberg

I have the above mentioned mobo.
I use headphones and the soundstorm audio.
It plays back music fine. After finishing any playing, there is no sound or
noise in my phones. BUT 15-20 seconds after stopping playback an irritating
noise comes in my headphones. It's a high pitched tone.This is highly
repeatable and happens after any kind of sound playback.
The tone goes away if I load up the CPU to max load afterwards and instantly
comes back if I offload the CPU.

I use latest drivers from nvidia.

There is also some minor cracks when I access hard drive and stuff, but it's
not half as irritating.
Could it be that the sounddrivers turn off power completely to the
line_out-jack after a said number of seconds? Has anyone else experienced
this? Tried muting line_in but no luck.

Andrew

I have the above mentioned mobo.
I use headphones and the soundstorm audio.
It plays back music fine. After finishing any playing, there is no sound or
noise in my phones. BUT 15-20 seconds after stopping playback an irritating
noise comes in my headphones. It's a high pitched tone.This is highly
repeatable and happens after any kind of sound playback.
The tone goes away if I load up the CPU to max load afterwards and instantly
comes back if I offload the CPU.
Mute the microphone in the sound mixer.

Beemer Biker

Egil Solberg said:
I have the above mentioned mobo.
I use headphones and the soundstorm audio.
It plays back music fine. After finishing any playing, there is no sound or
noise in my phones. BUT 15-20 seconds after stopping playback an irritating
noise comes in my headphones. It's a high pitched tone.This is highly
repeatable and happens after any kind of sound playback.
The tone goes away if I load up the CPU to max load afterwards and
instantly

yes, dragging a window around seems to cause it to disappear and the instant
the load is back to normal we can hear put-put type morse code sounds.
comes back if I offload the CPU.

I use latest drivers from nvidia.

There is also some minor cracks when I access hard drive and stuff, but it's
not half as irritating.
Could it be that the sounddrivers turn off power completely to the
line_out-jack after a said number of seconds? Has anyone else experienced
this? Tried muting line_in but no luck.

muting aux_in will also help, but in our case, even disableing the on-board
sound and using a audigy-1 made little difference.

Replaced asus "geforce type 5600" with GE3-TI200 loaner to see if it was the
video board causing the problem. Still got noise. Didnt try Ti200 with
audigy combo though.

when my son gets back from college this xmas we will swap out the power
supply and see if that fixes the noise. It was significently worse when we
had the aux-in connected to the cdburner (the dvd player is on line-in). I
would have thought that using audigy sound board would fix the problem but
it didnt. Before he took it up there we tried several cpu type fans but it
appears the noise is not induced by the tachonometer input. Got to be a
motherboard noise emitting problem of some type. Let me know if you get it
fixed.

Egil Solberg

Mute the microphone in the sound mixer.

Hi!
I played around a little in the mixer. The field "digitized input" was set
to "all muted". I unmuted this, and haven't heard the sound since. And I
don't even know what "digitized input" is supposed to mean.
I was a bit incorrect earlier. The sound came after about 1 minute of
inactivity soundwise, not 15-20seconds.
I keep my fingers crossed, becuase this noise was very annoying.

Egil Solberg

when my son gets back from college this xmas we will swap out the power
supply and see if that fixes the noise. It was significently worse when we
had the aux-in connected to the cdburner (the dvd player is on line-in). I
would have thought that using audigy sound board would fix the problem but
it didnt. Before he took it up there we tried several cpu type fans but it
appears the noise is not induced by the tachonometer input. Got to be a
motherboard noise emitting problem of some type. Let me know if you get it
fixed.

Isn't this annoying. But the sound seems to have gone away now. Read my
earlier post. And I haven't the faintest clue of why what i did should
help....
My PSU is an Antec TruePower so it should be fine. I suspected my Antec case
fans or maybe my gfx-card, and well, they still may come into play here.

I'm not used to these fancy sound-solutions, my only earlier experience has
been a SB PCI128 ;)

Kyle Brant

FWIW, if you click the small "?" in the upper right of the Nividia
control panel window, then hover your mouse cursor over items in the
window, a small help message window will popup and provide information
on the item beneath the mouse cursor.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

| |
| > when my son gets back from college this xmas we will swap out the
power
| > supply and see if that fixes the noise. It was significently
worse when
| we
| > had the aux-in connected to the cdburner (the dvd player is on
line-in).
| > would have thought that using audigy sound board would fix the
problem but
| > it didnt. Before he took it up there we tried several cpu type
fans but
| it
| > appears the noise is not induced by the tachonometer input. Got
to be a
| > motherboard noise emitting problem of some type. Let me know if
you get
| it
| > fixed.
|
| Isn't this annoying. But the sound seems to have gone away now. Read
my
| earlier post. And I haven't the faintest clue of why what i did
should
| help....
| My PSU is an Antec TruePower so it should be fine. I suspected my
Antec case
| fans or maybe my gfx-card, and well, they still may come into play
here.

| I'm not used to these fancy sound-solutions, my only earlier
experience has
| been a SB PCI128 ;)

Egil Solberg

Kyle Brant said:
FWIW, if you click the small "?" in the upper right of the Nividia
control panel window, then hover your mouse cursor over items in the
window, a small help message window will popup and provide information
on the item beneath the mouse cursor.

thanks, Kyle. I was adjusting through the standard sound setup at first, but
now i see what you mean in the soundstorm setup.
Seems as if problem is solved ;)

Thomas Hans Carste

Egil Solberg said:
thanks, Kyle. I was adjusting through the standard sound setup at first, but
now i see what you mean in the soundstorm setup.
Seems as if problem is solved ;)

I also have the same MB rev. 2.0 and a Antec TruePower powersupply
(430W). I just fixed this same problem by going into NVIDIA nForce
Control Panel and making the following changes.

1st - Under the Tab - Speaker Setup, unless you have digital speakers,
remove the checkmark under "Digital Output".
2nd - Under the Tab - Main, Change the Digitized Input to SPDIF or
something that you're not using.

Volla - My background, high pitched hiss went away instantly.

Egil Solberg

Thomas Hans Carste said:
"Egil Solberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message

I also have the same MB rev. 2.0 and a Antec TruePower powersupply
(430W). I just fixed this same problem by going into NVIDIA nForce
Control Panel and making the following changes.

1st - Under the Tab - Speaker Setup, unless you have digital speakers,
remove the checkmark under "Digital Output".
2nd - Under the Tab - Main, Change the Digitized Input to SPDIF or
something that you're not using.

Volla - My background, high pitched hiss went away instantly.

cool. Same problem-same solution for once :)

Beemer Biker

Thomas Hans Carste said:
"Egil Solberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message

I also have the same MB rev. 2.0 and a Antec TruePower powersupply
(430W). I just fixed this same problem by going into NVIDIA nForce
Control Panel and making the following changes.

1st - Under the Tab - Speaker Setup, unless you have digital speakers,
remove the checkmark under "Digital Output".
2nd - Under the Tab - Main, Change the Digitized Input to SPDIF or
something that you're not using.

Volla - My background, high pitched hiss went away instantly.

just want to confirm the above changes solved our sound problems also.

Thomas Hans Carste

Beemer Biker said:
just want to confirm the above changes solved our sound problems also.

Cool - I'm very glad to hear that my solution helped!

Cheers,
Tom