a Virus perhaps....?

E

eerie

hi,

was at friends computer today, xp pro, and it seemed he was silly enough to open an email that he
shouldnt have. (i am currently teaching him how to use a computer)
the mail he opened is now not visible in his inbox, but has rather made itself a shortcut on his
desktop, and it looks like this:::::

{Disarmed} Please verify your email address.eml.

this is also in his Desktop folder. iirc, it was only about 7Kb.
unfortunately, because it is not in his mail room, (O/E6) i couldnt right click on it to get to
properties, message, message source and etc... all i could do was get properties for it as a file in
Explorer of which carries basically no info at all.

I scanned it with his AVGfree and it come up clean;; currently adaware is running doing a full
system scan on his computer, but i had to leave his home way before it had finished and wont know
the outcome until late thursday.

i noticed two things while there,, one was that he could no longer open any .txt files, and the
other was that the computer seemed a lot slower.

i have googled 'disarmed', but found nothing useful as yet.
anyone come across this thing before?

thanks.

M

Martin Potestas

i have googled 'disarmed', but found nothing useful as yet.
anyone come across this thing before?

thanks.

Hi!

I have not seen this before, however, you might want to run Malwarebytes
Anti-Malware - it really saved me a lot of times when costumers opened
mails that they were better off deleting.

About the .txt files. Try right clicking one, and select open with,
choose notepad (or whatever program you want to use). Now it should work
again.

Good luck!

--
Kind regards

Martin Potestas
Microsoft MCP | Astaro ACA, ACE
CompTIA A+, Server+, Linux+

D

David H. Lipman

| hi,

| was at friends computer today, xp pro, and it seemed he was silly enough to open an
| email that he
| shouldnt have. (i am currently teaching him how to use a computer)
| the mail he opened is now not visible in his inbox, but has rather made itself a
| shortcut on his
| desktop, and it looks like this:::::

| {Disarmed} Please verify your email address.eml.

| this is also in his Desktop folder. iirc, it was only about 7Kb.
| unfortunately, because it is not in his mail room, (O/E6) i couldnt right click on it
| to get to
| properties, message, message source and etc... all i could do was get properties for it
| as a file in
| Explorer of which carries basically no info at all.

| I scanned it with his AVGfree and it come up clean;; currently adaware is running
| doing a full
| system scan on his computer, but i had to leave his home way before it had finished and
| wont know
| the outcome until late thursday.

| i noticed two things while there,, one was that he could no longer open any .txt files,
| and the
| other was that the computer seemed a lot slower.

| i have googled 'disarmed', but found nothing useful as yet.
| anyone come across this thing before?

| thanks.

It sounds like Phishing email.

E

eerie

Hi!

again.

Good luck!
Martin Potestas

thanks martin, i will try the re-association with the .txt files..... but, and heres the thing,
as soon as i click on Any .txt file, it instantly goes to the task-bar, and cannot be recalled so as
to be read; only thing it let me do was to right click delete.
i even had four different ones on the bar,, also, a small blue image/fill came up just above the
t/bar too while the .txts were there.
(sorry i forgot to mention this before.)

is it even possible for a virus of any sorts to take itself out of the mail room and plonk a
shortcut on the d/top? just seems too obvious,,, (scratching head.)

lastly, i dont actually know what is inside the file as yet,, all i've done is r/clicked on it for
its properties. it has an icon attached to what i showed you before, and it is the exact image of
a mail which has been opened from within o/e.

i'll leave it there as like i said, i'm not able to get to the computer til late thursday, or
perhaps even early friday.
i'll try the malaware program you mentioned at that time too.

thanks again.

E

eerie

Martin Potestas said:
Hi!

again.

Good luck!

--
Kind regards

Martin Potestas
Microsoft MCP | Astaro ACA, ACE
CompTIA A+, Server+, Linux+

okay, i'm back Martin.

now, the association thing didnt really help much, as the problem is as soon as a .txt file is
clicked on, it goes straight to the task bar and automatically creates the same xp blue as what the
task bar is,,,, only its half screen horizontally, and only about an 1/8 of an inch above normal
task bar.
any text files that are an attachment in the incoming email room, are also acting in the same way.
(by that, i mean if someone sent him an attached .txt file on the normal mail, it will go straight
to task bar too.)

lastly,, i didnt have any luck at all with MalawareBytes.
on his machine, it kept stating that it found something while it was setting itself up??
eg... i go through its instal wizard, and about 3/4's of the way through, it keeps telling me that
there is a corrupt file (it even calls it a virus/malaware that is dangerous) in the 'temp' folder..
it even names the file; thing is, it aint there.
i followed the path it gave about ten times,, and the file doesnt exist. anyhow, at this
point, there is absolutely no other option other than to abort the instal. (trust me, i tried
absoletely everything i could think of,, and i am a very logical person.)
bottom line, i tried installing 4 times, same result.

next, i decided to d/l it onto my 98 machine when i got home.. no probs there, and it installed
into a folder i created just fine.
trouble was, when i clicked on the shortcut exe, it turned my screen black instantly... i had to
use my button to reboot. i tried it again, same damn thing. i checked all was okay and that
the proggy was all there in the folder,, so tried yet again,, just shuts my screen off with no
escape. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm???
(maybe in my case, the proggy isnt designed for 98se,, dont know, havent been back to site.)

okay,, so, where does my buddy go from here?

thank martin.

Ask a Question