A Poorly Conceived Wrong MSKB

Chad Harris

MSFT has a recent MSKB on a very old problem that was present in Win 2K and
XP as well. It is hard to believe they persist in such a primitive
workaround, but they do. This involves a well known problem with Windows
File Protection's System File Checker or SFC demanding the DVD.

Note that if you don't have a Vista DVD and this occurs you are SOL as they
say in Redmond, Washington. Because I know one thing--it's difficult to put
in a Vista DVD when you don't have one. I've heard of Virtual PC 2007 and
other VMware, but I don't know of any Virtual Vista DVD that sits on your
shelf.

I hope that it is becoming well known that MSFT doesn't want you to have the
Vista DVD unless you buy it no matter how many times they get paid for
preloaded Vista on an OEM pc you buy from $1000-$4000. This is a very
accurate reflection of MSFT's true regaurd for their millioins of end user
customers. If they had any regard whatsoever,they wouldn't force OEM named
partners to withold a Vista DVD and their panoply of Recovery tools from you
Win RE. If you don't have a Vista DVD in your hadn, but you have Vista
preloaded, you have been robbed of the tools to repair Vista and do a number
of other important things.

The terribly conceived and written MSKB (during the reign of XP they alluded
to this but didn't tell you to sit their like an idiot and keep pressing
cancel--now they do.

Here is the appropriate workaround from MSFT MVP Mark Liron that MSFT should
have styled this ridiculous MSKB around and should immediately replace this
MSKB so that their customers can run a very valuable Windows tool that often
fixes Vista, XP, IE 6 or 7, OE, Win Mail, and other components of the
Windows OS.

Wrong and poorly conceived Microsoft Solution:

You may be repeatedly prompted to insert the Windows Vista CD when you run
the System File Checker utility together with the /scannow switch
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929538/en-us

Correct Solution that MSFT should make this MSKB from. This works well in
XP and Vista, but you may not have to use it if SFC is going without a hitch
in Vista. I don't know the percent that this is necessary.

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

CH

Chad Harris

The individuals who write the MSKBs on the Redmond campus should sign them
with their names, and put a "contact us" link on the bottom of the MSKBs so
they can be corrected when they are systemically wrong or worthless. That's
called "ownership and taking responsibility" Softies.

CH

Scott

The individuals who write the MSKBs on the Redmond campus should sign them
with their names, and put a "contact us" link on the bottom of the MSKBs so
they can be corrected when they are systemically wrong or worthless. That's
called "ownership and taking responsibility" Softies.

Point me to another company that produces software for Windows that
does that.

Honestly, I've found the MSKB very helpful. Although I have better
luck using Google to search it than using it's own (live.com) search
engine.

And no I don't work for Microsoft, but I thought I'd point out that
they've picked up a few awards for the site as well
--
Scott http://angrykeyboarder.com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
NOTICE: In-Newsgroup (and therefore off-topic) comments on my sig will
be cheerfully ignored, so don't waste our time.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Chad,
Thanks for calling this article out. I will work on getting this changed
or removed.
The article is incorrect. That is not the expected behavior of SFC.
SFC should not prompt for the Windows VIsta DVD for files, it should never
prompt for the Windows DVD.
Most of the OS files are stored in a WIM file on the dvd which is not
accessible unless you have the WAIK\OPK installed and the wim file mounted
using imagex.
SFC can only replace cached files.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> [...]
|>>
|>> Here is the appropriate workaround from MSFT MVP Mark Liron that MSFT
|>> should have styled this ridiculous MSKB around and should immediately
|>> replace this MSKB so that their customers can run a very valuable
Windows
|>> tool that often fixes Vista, XP, IE 6 or 7, OE, Win Mail, and other
|>> components of the Windows OS.
|>>

|>> Wrong and poorly conceived Microsoft Solution:
|>>
|>> You may be repeatedly prompted to insert the Windows Vista CD when you
run
|>> the System File Checker utility together with the /scannow switch
|>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929538/en-us
|>>
|>> Correct Solution that MSFT should make this MSKB from. This works well
in
|>> XP and Vista, but you may not have to use it if SFC is going without a
|>> hitch in Vista. I don't know the percent that this is necessary.

DevilsPGD

In message <[email protected]>
Hello Chad,
Thanks for calling this article out. I will work on getting this changed
or removed.
The article is incorrect. That is not the expected behavior of SFC.
SFC should not prompt for the Windows VIsta DVD for files, it should never
prompt for the Windows DVD.
Most of the OS files are stored in a WIM file on the dvd which is not
accessible unless you have the WAIK\OPK installed and the wim file mounted
using imagex.
SFC can only replace cached files.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Darrell -- A personal thanks for taking the time to respond, and address
issues like this. Makes all of our lives easier when the KB is correct.

Lang Murphy

Go Chad, Go Chad, Go Chad, Go Chad! (Chanted with 50 Cent's "In the Club"
blaring in the background.)

Lang

Conor

I hope that it is becoming well known that MSFT doesn't want you to have the
Vista DVD unless you buy it no matter how many times they get paid for
preloaded Vista on an OEM pc you buy from $1000-$4000.

The decision not to supply an installation CD or DVD is made by THE
SYSTEM BUILDERS, not Microsoft.

Chad Harris

Scott--

I appreciate that having a grip on MSKBs is one very valuable resource. I
find the MSKBs invaluable and probably use them often during a 3 day period.
It is curious that they now prompt you to sign in with a Passport or Windows
Live ID to reach them some of the time, but not when a particular KB is a
google or other search engine link. I find the last few months when I go to
http://support.microsoft.com I'm asked to "sign-in" with the Win Live ID.

I was pointing out *that particular MSKB, and the failure of MSFT to fix SFC
despite the passage of nearly 8 years since the debut of Win 2K, but after
reading Darrell Gorter's post, I'm beginning to think they have in Vista.

You are correct that despite the emphasis on search in Vista and hiriing Dr.
Gary Flake from Yahoo Search as a Distinguished Scientist, that
www.microsoft.com has a search that is considerably inferior to Google which
is one reason why MSN search is lagging far behind in use and trying hard to
catch up.

I had seen the behavior frequently in Win XP that the MSKB described, (and
to correct it I did all the regedits in the workaround from Mark Liron's
article and copied my I386 folder as instructed, but as Darrell Gorter
[MSFT ] pointed out, it doesn't exist in Vista but I could only say I hadn't
seen it in Vista. SFC works somewhat differently as to stored files as I
understand it. It doesn't use DLLCache for storage of the files, and I
found what it does you and some of the differences and posted into a thread
on SFC. I can't find this info anymore.

I found 4 Vista MSKBs referencing SFC/WFP:

http://support.microsoft.com/search...stem+file+checker+vista&adv=&mode=r&cat=False

CH

Chad Harris

Conor--

This is a widely disseminated urban myth. I want to be careful to say also,
that I'm not implicating the small business system builders here who are
very hard working and whom I appreciate and admire. I'm specifically
implicationg the relationship that MSFT at Redmond specifically the OEM VP
Scott DiValerio has with the big guys--the 300 or so ***name OEM System
Builders--Dell, HP, Sony, IBM, etc.

MSFT forces them into contracts that result in shipping crappy incompetent
recovery discs or partitions to the end user (Dell is an exception as to
Vista).

Call Sony or HP and order a new PC and tell them you want them to include a
*full Vista DVD for your ahrd earned money and see what happens. Some of
them can be made to send you the DVD if you insists on it and you always
should.

Do you know of many hospitals, however competently them implement CPR that
don't have several crash carts available with CPR meds and devices on it?
Many ERs?

My point here is that MSFT is recklessly setting up their major volume of
end user customers who may need Vista CPR or fixing whether it can or can't
boot who can't access Startup Repair and the other Win RE panopoly of tolls
discussed by MSFT on blogs, in MSKBs and to some degree but not enough in
the current run of Vista books available not to be able to use the Win RE
tools. Without a DVD they don't have access to them.

That, to me is simply eggregiously irresponsible on the part of MSFT and if
it's not motivated by greed, surely no one is going to argue it's motivated
by careless oversight. No way.

Dell has promised with Vista to correct the problem that bothers me so much:

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2006/10/17/3132.aspx

CH

Chad Harris

Darrell--

Thanks for this info. This seems to confirm that the problematic behavior
when running SFC that often occured if you didn't use a workaround like Mark
Liron's reg mods and copying I386 isn't happening in Vista. I haven't seen
in at all in Vista in any build, but assumed wrongly it was happening a
percent of the time.

I took a lot of time trying to search for good info on SFC and/or Windows
File Protection in Vista and found every MSDN ref/technet search ref and
MSKB ref I could. I couldn't find what I had found a couple months ago
working on a thread that told ***where the SFC files are located. There was
a name that wasn't DLL Cache that was new to me.

I have looked for DLL Cache in Vista several times showing all hidden files
and OS files, and it's not there. I remember reading on a MSDN blog that
Vista is not using DLL Cache anymore, and I see what you're saying about the
WIM file on the dvd which is not accessible unless you have the WAIK\OPK
installed and the wim file mounted using imagex.

I know where good ref material is on that--some from a Technet presenter who
gave a web cast a while back, and I have looked hard but I cannot find a
comprehensive reference on how SFC is working in Vista.

I've seen this:

http://support.microsoft.com/search...stem+file+checker+vista&adv=&mode=r&cat=False

and I've read this:

The Old New Thing (Ray Chen's blog)
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2006/03/21/556505.aspx

and I'm not sure which Ray Cheng at MSFT is the author of this blog.

Thanks for clearing this up--your participation in these groups is a big
plus because of your Vista work at Redmond and your ability to get correct
info.

If you read this and know of a good SFC Vista discussion on a MSFT or other
web site, I'd like to get hold of it.

I just looked for SFC discussion in the major bookstore books/MS
Press/Amazon available now,and there was very scant info.

I'd like to find an updated discussion of WFP/SFC in Vista. I know there
are added switches and some that did not come along with Vista SFC.

Thanks,

CH

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
> [...]

|>> should have styled this ridiculous MSKB around and should immediately
|>> replace this MSKB so that their customers can run a very valuable
Windows
|>> tool that often fixes Vista, XP, IE 6 or 7, OE, Win Mail, and other
|>> components of the Windows OS.
|>>

|>> Wrong and poorly conceived Microsoft Solution:
|>>
|>> You may be repeatedly prompted to insert the Windows Vista CD when you
run
|>> the System File Checker utility together with the /scannow switch
|>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929538/en-us
|>>
|>> Correct Solution that MSFT should make this MSKB from. This works
well
in
|>> XP and Vista, but you may not have to use it if SFC is going without a
|>> hitch in Vista. I don't know the percent that this is necessary.

DevilsPGD

In message <[email protected]> "Chad Harris"
MSFT forces them into contracts that result in shipping crappy incompetent
recovery discs or partitions to the end user (Dell is an exception as to
Vista).

Not at all -- MSFT forces OEM vendors to provide a method of recovering
the system to it's factory shipped condition. MSFT doesn't encourage or
discourage recovery images vs original installation images.

It's up to the OEM what method they provide. It's simply cheaper to
ship blank CDs or DVDs and let the customer make their own image then to
press the number of recovery discs they'd need

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Chad,
Let me see if I can locate some information on SFC that can be distributed
or see if I can locate someone to generate a document..
The article you reference in the first post should be pulled by now.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net>
|>Subject: Re: A Poorly Conceived Wrong MSKB
|>Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:21:55 -0500
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>Darrell--
|>
|>Thanks for this info. This seems to confirm that the problematic behavior
|>when running SFC that often occured if you didn't use a workaround like
Mark
|>Liron's reg mods and copying I386 isn't happening in Vista. I haven't
seen
|>in at all in Vista in any build, but assumed wrongly it was happening a
|>percent of the time.
|>
|>I took a lot of time trying to search for good info on SFC and/or Windows
|>File Protection in Vista and found every MSDN ref/technet search ref and
|>MSKB ref I could. I couldn't find what I had found a couple months ago
|>working on a thread that told ***where the SFC files are located. There
was
|>a name that wasn't DLL Cache that was new to me.
|>
|>I have looked for DLL Cache in Vista several times showing all hidden
files
|>and OS files, and it's not there. I remember reading on a MSDN blog that
|>Vista is not using DLL Cache anymore, and I see what you're saying about
the
|>WIM file on the dvd which is not accessible unless you have the
WAIK\OPK
|>installed and the wim file mounted using imagex.
|>
|>I know where good ref material is on that--some from a Technet presenter
who
|>gave a web cast a while back, and I have looked hard but I cannot find a
|>comprehensive reference on how SFC is working in Vista.
|>
|>I've seen this:
|>
|>http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID=1033&spid=
11734&query=system+file+checker+vista&adv=&mode=r&cat=False

|>and I've read this:
|>
|>The Old New Thing (Ray Chen's blog)
|>http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2006/03/21/556505.aspx
|>
|>and I'm not sure which Ray Cheng at MSFT is the author of this blog.
|>
|>Thanks for clearing this up--your participation in these groups is a big
|>plus because of your Vista work at Redmond and your ability to get
correct
|>info.
|>
|>If you read this and know of a good SFC Vista discussion on a MSFT or
other
|>web site, I'd like to get hold of it.
|>
|>I just looked for SFC discussion in the major bookstore books/MS
|>Press/Amazon available now,and there was very scant info.
|>
|>I'd like to find an updated discussion of WFP/SFC in Vista. I know there
|>are added switches and some that did not come along with Vista SFC.
|>
|>Thanks,
|>
|>CH

|>> Thanks for calling this article out. I will work on getting this
changed
|>> or removed.
|>> The article is incorrect. That is not the expected behavior of SFC.
|>> SFC should not prompt for the Windows VIsta DVD for files, it should
never
|>> prompt for the Windows DVD.
|>> Most of the OS files are stored in a WIM file on the dvd which is not
|>> accessible unless you have the WAIK\OPK installed and the wim file
mounted
|>> using imagex.
|>> SFC can only replace cached files.
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|>> --------------------

|>> them
|>> MSKBs
|>> so
|>> That's

Win
|>> 2K
|>> primitive
|>> Windows

|>> difficult
Virtual
|>> PC
|>> sits

|>> have
|>> for
|>> user
OEM
|>> tools
|>> have
|>> do

|>> keep

MSFT
|>> Windows

|>> run

|>> well
|>> in

Chad Harris

LOL that is naive. I've talked directly with OEM named partners and they
confirm MSFT pushes them not to ship a Vista DVD. As to those recovery
discs, they are about as effective at fixing Vista as using water instead of
epinepherine to correct a letahl arrhythmia.

When you've tried to fix a few hundred XP or Vista no boots, you'll get the
message.

MSFT isn't stupid about Recovery tools for Vista or XP. They know damn well
what a repair install can do and they know what Win RE is. They have a Win
RE team at Redmond who blogs. Without those tools you aren't going to be
able to do a lot of things to successfully fix Vista no boots or Vista's
systemic problems when you can boot.

The bottom line is those discs and partitions (recovery) don't restore back
to factory condition. Your mantra is so Mike Brannigan.

These people lose their Operating systems period because they don't have the
tools to fix them without a Vista DVD or an XP DVD.

MSFT makes sure they don't get a DVD so they'll go out and buy a retail one.
MSFT doesn't give a damn because everyone on the Redmond or anyother campus
world wide has a Vista DVD or XP DVD for those respective OS's.

Anytime you want to try a Vista repair contest or XP repair contest, I
welcome you to take a recovery CD (XP) or Vista (DVD) and I'll take the real
OS DVD and let's see who is most successful. I've extended this challenge to
anyone on the Redmond campus, and so far not one taker.

CH