" A network cable is unplugged" Message.

G

I am at the end of my rope, all was working fine until the day before yesterday. I have a pentium 4 running windows xp pro,networked on a motorola 850g router with cable modem. The computer in question is connected with ethernet cable to the router. My laptop is connected wirelessly. The laptop works fine and gets online with no problems,but the desktop keeps getting the net cable unplugged message when I try to go to the internet. the message comes on intermittently with "connection established at 100mbs" I have tried everything I can think of, new cable, changed plug, new firmware for router, scanned for virus(none found), I ran adaware6 to see if spyware is responsible, no change.I have cold booted the system after having it off for one hour(someone's suggestion).Ethernet card is incorporated on the motherboard.
Anyone know what this is about?

Luca

S

Steve Winograd [MVP]

"Luca said:
I am at the end of my rope, all was working fine until the day before yesterday. I have a pentium 4 running windows xp pro,networked on a motorola 850g router with cable modem. The computer in question is connected with ethernet cable to the router. My laptop is connected wirelessly. The laptop works fine and gets online with no problems,but the desktop keeps getting the net cable unplugged message when I try to go to the internet. the message comes on intermittently with "connection established at 100mbs" I have tried everything I can think of, new cable, changed plug, new firmware for router, scanned for virus(none found), I ran adaware6 to see if spyware is responsible, no change.I have cold booted the system after having it off for one hour(someone's suggestion).Ethernet card is incorporated on the motherboard.
Anyone know what this is about?

Luca

Try the steps shown here, even though you have a different network
adapter:

MSBBN: "A Network Cable Has Been Unplugged" Message Appears at
Seemingly Random Intervals
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;811595
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Ask a Question