Windows XP A guide to Installing XP SP2

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Microsoft has released Service Pack 2 (SP2), a collection of updates and patches that radically improve the operating system’s security when online, while adding a number of new features. Installing SP2 is quite simple, but bear in mind that any major update to Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player and Windows itself is a serious job. Before you start, make sure your PC is in proper working order. Don’t think that installing SP2 on a ‘crashing’ system will fix it … you may just end up having to re-install the whole OS again.

A number of “glitches” have been reported, so back-up all your data and then use System Restore as an insurance policy.

The first step is to get your hands on SP2. Most people should now be able to go to Windows Update site and ‘download’ it from there. If you do not find it available it is because MS have staggered the release so as not to overload its servers. Just be patent, you’ll be offered it soon. You can also order SP2 on CD from MS.

Be aware that Microsoft has changed the software on Windows Update site from version four to version five, so if you haven’t used the service for a while that’s the first software you’ll have to update. This is a significant change as Windows Update now includes a “resume download” function so you don’t have to download hundreds of megabytes of update in one huge chunk. Click Download and Install Now button and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.

Once Windows Update has updated itself, you’ll see that it now looks rather different. MS has gathered together all of the “high-priority” items so you can scan your PC for necessary updates easily and ignore optional items. The size of download will vary depending on what updates you already have and could be around 100Mb in size.

Click on the selected item and you’ll get a clear description of what the update does, as well as a projected download time depending on your internet connection. With a “broadband” connection it should take less than an hour but if you’re using dial-up, a download of 100Mb will take many hours. In that case you might want to obtain a CD version of SP2, which you’ll be able to find on the cover of most, if not all, computer magazines. Alternatively, you can order the CD from MS website.

Once SP2 is ready to install, make a “Restore Point” and remember, the download may take a very long time, you’ll see a familiar Windows dialogue box. Follow the instructions and close down any other software that you’re running. In particular, make sure to close your anti-virus application, which could detect the new Service Pack as an attack on Windows and cause all sorts of problems.

Before installation, Windows WILL create backups of your system files. This is similar to using System Restore as I advised you to do anyway. These files will take up some hard disk space, but that’s a small price to pay for the knowledge that you are taking the best possible care of your PC. Unless you have a particular yearning to choose a different location for the backup files (by clicking the browse button), click Next to allow the installation wizard to proceed.

After a few minutes, depending on the speed of your system, the instillation of SP2 will nearly be finished and the Automatic Update Wizard will start. This is a feature in the Control panel of every version of Windows XP and it is up to you to enable it or not. If you regularly check Windows Updates then it is quite acceptable to leave it turned off, but if you are forgetful, like me, then make your life a little easier and turn it on. Make your choice and click Next.

SP2 is now installed. Click close and restart your computer. When your PC bursts back into life you may consider the job done but, of course, rarely is life that simple. First, make sure your anti-virus software is switched on and keep a watchful eye for any problems that SP may have caused. There are a number of new features to explore and understand to ensure that you get the most from the new features in SP2, I will be covering these in the near future.

If you hit a major problem after installing SP2 then you can uninstall it through the “Add or Remove Programs” link in Control Panel. Realistically, many of the elements become embedded into XP so we’re essentially talking about removing the Security Centre link (and associated features) but we did make a Restore point, didn’t we?

Enjoy!
Mucks
cool.gif

Reaction score
Good advice.

One might also be wise to even wait a couple more months before installing SP2. I'm not saying that any microsoft product will ever be 100% bug free, but the longer you wait the less chance you have of the update wreaking havoc to your system.

Like grandpa always used to say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Reaction score
No risk testing sounds good to me.

I found it better to use recoverpc to let me test the new SP2 config first (alright I had a beta of recoverpc, but it worked stably for me). I didn't have a problem with SP2, but I didnt want to take any chances. I also didnt want to spend ages backing up my files either.

When SP3 arrives I reckon I'll still use the recoverpc route.

Ask a Question