Windows 10 Paul Thurrott's Complete Guide to Windows 10

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Another good guide on Win 10. :thumb:

The free Windows 10 upgrade is now successfully installed on tens of millions of PCs worldwide, but it’s still hard to find exactly the information you need. This is that guide, an organized collection of the how-to and informational articles I have written—and will continue to write—about Microsoft’s greatest-ever OS release.

More soon! I will keep this guide updated as I write more Windows 10 content.

Note: this guide covers only those articles that pertain to the shipping version of Windows 10. I have included only those Windows Technical Preview articles that still have relevance now pre-release testing is complete. —Paul

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/5213/complete-guide-to-windows-10

Reaction score
Now that was interesting & more than an old cynic like me thought!:blush:

But as i have a few "issues" with certain software if i upgrade will see what happes with Windows 10.
I will at some date migrate over but not straight away, perhaps when service pack 1 or 2 comes out!!!:lol:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
been waiting for his 'guide' to become public. :)

Reaction score
I have been running W10 for a while now, my main concern is the security and reporting back to Microsoft without my permission, although I have changed the security settings I am concerned that MS will change them during their automatic updates which I have no control over. So once again I am looking ether reverting to W8 or even leaving the MS fold and going native with Linux.(again)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
29272578.jpg

Reaction score
I am still with Linux Mint Mr Flops that’s nearly two months, so not likely to change now:lol::lol::lol::thumb::thumb::thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I am still with Linux Mint Mr Flops that’s nearly two months, so not likely to change now:lol::lol::lol::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Good for you sah :thumb:

I'd say you're past the probationary period ;)

Everything working ok? Office? E-mail? Photo editing? Music? Video files?

Have you had to use the console much?

If my experience of Mint is anything to go by I think you'll find that, compared to Windows, this Linux OS is very stable, I've never known a version to crash tbh.

Reaction score
Yes this old codger has mucked around with Mint a bit and very impressed with it. I tried to download my music on to Mint using my wife’s PC as I had downloaded the majority of it on hers, how do I transfer that on to mine ether using Banshee or VCL, if I remember right Windows is Wma, or will I have to download the lot again which will take weeks?

Reaction score
when
I have been running W10 for a while now, my main concern is the security and reporting back to Microsoft without my permission,
it comes to privacy windows 10 is a night mare. all of the information is sent back in the name to updating and improving user experience. I would recommend to use windows 7 cannot comment about linux mint as I havent use any of the linux distro.

Reaction score
Hi robertemma welcome to PCR and enjoy the site and please join in. I have been running Linux Mint Cinnamon since November 2015 and have updated to Mint Cinnamon 18.1 and am very happy with Linux and will never return to Microsoft's expensive offerings. I have found the experience very rewarding and liberating. Why did change my Operating system after being a loyal Microsoft person since 1998, well the final crunch came with the debacle over dater collection. I have since my first PC which was a HP built my own PC's and have up to Late November 2015 always bought Microsoft's software and always purchased all the apps that I used and as a pensioner I now felt I couldn't afford the annual cost and the dater collection was the last straw and I moved to Linux which is free. I started with Linux Mint 17 and now running Cinnamon 18.1 which will get updates until 2023. All the apps you need for Linux is free but you can make donations to the developers if you wish. From the experience I have had with Linux is that it is a liberating experience and fun, I would as a old fart recommend ether dual booting OR going over completely to Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1. and have fun.

Ask a Question