787 error, redux

Roy A Ackerman

I see that someone else posted this error, but I see NO
response.
I, too, just upgraded to a larger HD and restored my
files. Everything is fine except I can't dial out on the
modems. When querying the modems, everything is fine.
But dialing to my ISP ((this is a laptop and I need to
dail when travelling), I get error 797, modem not found.
I have SP3 reinstalled (actually, I think the restore was
SP1), removed and reinstalled both modems (internal HASP
and a Linksys combo network-modem) to no avail.
I have removed and installed RAS Async Network Adaptor-
and I CAN"T FIND RAS under network connections- even with
hidden devices shown.
Thanks!

Roy A. Ackerman

I see that someone else posted this error, but I see NO
response.
I, too, just upgraded to a larger HD and restored my
files. Everything is fine except I can't dial out on the
modems. When querying the modems, everything is fine.
But dialing to my ISP ((this is a laptop and I need to
dail when travelling), I get error 797, modem not found.
I have SP3 reinstalled (actually, I think the restore was
SP1), removed and reinstalled both modems (internal HASP
and a Linksys combo network-modem) to no avail.
I have removed and installed RAS Async Network Adaptor-
and I CAN"T FIND RAS under network connections- even with
hidden devices shown.
Thanks!
.

Steven Liu [MSFT]

Hi Roy,

If the restore is the SP1 and the restore includes the system files, I
think we need to reinstall the SP3 or install the new SP4.

Since the computer is unable to access the Internet now, you can download
the SP4 from the Microsoft web site and burn the CD. Then, install the SP4
to the computer.

I think this can solve the issue.

If it still does not work, please tell me the detail modem module and
manufacturer. I will help you to find the modem driver.

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

MCSE 2000

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.
| From: "Roy A Ackerman" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Roy A Ackerman" <[email protected]>
| Subject: 787 error, redux
| Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 05:14:33 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
|
| I see that someone else posted this error, but I see NO
| response.
| I, too, just upgraded to a larger HD and restored my
| files. Everything is fine except I can't dial out on the
| modems. When querying the modems, everything is fine.
| But dialing to my ISP ((this is a laptop and I need to
| dail when travelling), I get error 797, modem not found.
| I have SP3 reinstalled (actually, I think the restore was
| SP1), removed and reinstalled both modems (internal HASP
| and a Linksys combo network-modem) to no avail.
| I have removed and installed RAS Async Network Adaptor-
| and I CAN"T FIND RAS under network connections- even with
| hidden devices shown.
| Thanks!

Roy A. Ackerman

1. It is one of eitehr two modems - HAMR 5600 built-in
voice modem or the LinkSys EthereFast+56K modem. Both
worked before.
2. I already installed SP3 to no avail.
Thanks

Steven Liu [MSFT]

Hi,

Reinstall the modem driver at:

HAMR 5600: http://www.windowsxp-drivers.com/drivers/57/57261.htm

LinkSys modem: ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/pcmlm56.zip

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

MCSE 2000

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.
| From: "Roy A. Ackerman" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Roy A. Ackerman" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: 797 error, redux
| Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:55:52 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
|
| 1. It is one of eitehr two modems - HAMR 5600 built-in
| voice modem or the LinkSys EthereFast+56K modem. Both
| worked before.
| 2. I already installed SP3 to no avail.
| Thanks

| >|
| >| I see that someone else posted this error, but I see NO
| >| response.
| >| I, too, just upgraded to a larger HD and restored my
| >| files. Everything is fine except I can't dial out on
| the
| >| modems. When querying the modems, everything is fine.
| >| But dialing to my ISP ((this is a laptop and I need to
| >| dail when travelling), I get error 797, modem not found.
| >| I have SP3 reinstalled (actually, I think the restore
| was
| >| SP1), removed and reinstalled both modems (internal
| HASP
| >| and a Linksys combo network-modem) to no avail.
| >| I have removed and installed RAS Async Network Adaptor-
| >| and I CAN"T FIND RAS under network connections- even
| with
| >| hidden devices shown.
| >| Thanks!
| >|

| >.

Roy A. Ackerman

Thanks. I already had both of these drivers and have
reinsatlled thrice. The diagnostics says they are working
perfectly. Yet, I still can't dial with them, receiving
the 797 error. I have reapired the installation (fast and
manual), installed SP3 (it was SP1), and reinstalled the
drivers again.

Roy A. Ackerman

Dear Mr. Liu:
I think it is realted to Dial Up Networking, since as you
see from my previous post, the modem responds to
diagnostic; it just won't dial. Hyperterminal DOES work
as does fax

Steven Liu [MSFT]

Hi Roy,

Let's apply the Windows 2000 SP4. Let's see whether this works.

If not, I think we need to do the In-place upgrade installation of the
Windows 2000.

292175 How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=292175

This will reinstall all the system files. It will rebuild the Dail up
network. Therefore, it will remove all installed updates. We need to
reinstall the SP4 and visit the Windows Update to install all updates again.