Windows 7 7 install question

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If I want to install 7 in a raid array can I use a cd to load the raid drivers ?

Are the drivers I need the ones that come with my mobo set up cd ?

I want to run some speed tests on a single disk, a raid 0 and a raid 0+1 setup can I just load 7 and ATTO and Crystal Mark and run me tests without having to register 7 ?

Thanks.:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian:

RAID drivers will be found on the motherboard CD (but always best to load latest drivers from motherboard manufacturer's website). It's usual to load them onto bootable media (floppy; CD; USB stick) and when Win 7 prompts for RAID drivers during installation browse to them.

Win 7 will usually recognise a RAID array on installation though and you can usually load the drivers following installation.

You can run Win 7 without registering but you only get a week or something before it will cease to function if you haven't registered in that period.

The actual RAID setup will be done within the motherboard's RAID controller BIOS, look for the prompt to access it during POST.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Cheers Flops.

Do you use the motherboard raid or do you have a seperate card for raid ?

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've always used the onboard motherboard RAID chipset, though I hear that a seperate card is the best option.

Fastest setup, apparently, is using SCSI drives with a SCSI RAID controller card but we are talking lots of pennies there.

Mind you, I'm wondering now if SSD drives would be faster than SCSI drives.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Cheers Flops.

From my reading you can get software raid cards which are similar in performance to the mobo raid.Then you can get a hardware raid card usually with its own small cpu onboard which are as fast as stink. An then there are these,

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/SSD-RevoDrive-PCI-express-sandforce-RAID-0,11548.html

"OCZ Technology Group announced the launch of its new bootable RevoDrive X2 PCI-Express SSD. Building upon the original 1st-generation RevoDrive, the new version boasts speeds up to 740 MB/s and up to 120,000 IOPS, almost three times the throughput of other high-end SATA-based solutions."

I don't think they offer TRIM so it might be wise to wait a while before buying one. :D

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Cheers Flops.

From my reading you can get software raid cards which are similar in performance to the mobo raid.Then you can get a hardware raid card usually with its own small cpu onboard which are as fast as stink. An then there are these,

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/SSD-RevoDrive-PCI-express-sandforce-RAID-0,11548.html

"OCZ Technology Group announced the launch of its new bootable RevoDrive X2 PCI-Express SSD. Building upon the original 1st-generation RevoDrive, the new version boasts speeds up to 740 MB/s and up to 120,000 IOPS, almost three times the throughput of other high-end SATA-based solutions."

I don't think they offer TRIM so it might be wise to wait a while before buying one. :D

Awesome. seen this pn Youtube. Check out the read/write speeds :D

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I've always used the onboard motherboard RAID chipset, though I hear that a seperate card is the best option.

Fastest setup, apparently, is using SCSI drives with a SCSI RAID controller card but we are talking lots of pennies there.

Mind you, I'm wondering now if SSD drives would be faster than SCSI drives.

There was this on Youtube 24 SSD's in RAID. Silly fast speeds. I know the vid is on the forum somewhere, just couldn't find it :D

Ask a Question