64 bit Vista?

Nick K

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 5100 with an AMD Turion dual core 64 bit
processor.

Here's what I found:
The AMD TurionT 64 X2 processor (TL-50/TL-52/TL-56/TL-60) delivers 64-bit
performance with longer battery life and enhanced security, based on AMD's
innovative Direct Connect Architecture -- and also prepares you for
next-generation Windows VistaT

So, is there a 64 bit Vista, if not when can I expect it?

Well, I don't know where you have been, but its been out for a while.
Your're looking at text from it right now. It works fine. I've had no
problems with drivers or anything..

Andy

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 5100 with an AMD Turion dual core 64 bit
processor.

Here's what I found:
The AMD TurionT 64 X2 processor (TL-50/TL-52/TL-56/TL-60) delivers 64-bit
performance with longer battery life and enhanced security, based on AMD's
innovative Direct Connect Architecture -- and also prepares you for
next-generation Windows VistaT

So, is there a 64 bit Vista, if not when can I expect it?

64 bit was released at the same time as 32 bit. In fact, my retail
copy of Ultimate comes with a DVD for each. For other editions, you
need to contact MS and they will send you one for a shipping fee.

Nick K

Apparantly Acer did not install the 64 bit version. When I look in System it
says 32 bit operating system. The DVD that came with it only has 32 bit
software.

I expect that this processor is supported in 64 bit Vista. Is the
performance much better?

Vista 64 bit was released same time as vista 32 bit. I am using vista 64 bit
and have been since feb 15

Rick Rogers

Hi Nick,

Only if the applications can make use of it, which right now would be
unusual. Most manufacturers are installing only the 32-bit version as that
is more compliant with the general market and available hardware. You would
likely not find much performance increase under x64 unless you use
applications that are specifically designed for it.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Nick K

If I did install 64 bit Vista, would it upgrade my current installation or
would I have to reinstall all apps?

Mike Hall - MS MVP

Nick

While 64bit Vista will run with 4gb RAM and less, and will handle 32bit
programs, its real target are users who need to run 64bit apps that require
in excess of 4gb..

Nick K said:
Apparantly Acer did not install the 64 bit version. When I look in System
it
says 32 bit operating system. The DVD that came with it only has 32 bit
software.

I expect that this processor is supported in 64 bit Vista. Is the
performance much better?

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

John Barnes

Unless you have >4 gig of ram or programs specifically written for 64-bit
(almost none except a few professional sound and video processing ones), you
will not notice any difference and you should make SURE you can get 64-bit
drivers for the Acer model you purchased and all hardware you intend to use
before you change. Also check with Acer to see if the technical service
available will be affected by the change. Probably not, but be safe.

Rick Rogers

Hi Nick,

It'd have to be a clean installation with a reinstall of any desired
applications. There is no upgrade path from 32 to 64 bit.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Nick K

That's a lot of money just for the RAM!
John Barnes said:
Unless you have >4 gig of ram or programs specifically written for 64-bit
(almost none except a few professional sound and video processing ones), you
will not notice any difference and you should make SURE you can get 64-bit
drivers for the Acer model you purchased and all hardware you intend to use
before you change. Also check with Acer to see if the technical service
available will be affected by the change. Probably not, but be safe.

Colin Barnhorst

I have to disagree with the 4GB part of your post, Mike. I do think 64bit
likes at least 2GB but I don't think the 64bit OS is either "targeted" at
anyone in particular or has to have 4GB or more to be useful. 64bits is the
future of Windows and both hardware and software will grow into it, but I
see it as a general OS.

Colin Barnhorst

It is.

John Barnes said:
Unless you have >4 gig of ram or programs specifically written for 64-bit
(almost none except a few professional sound and video processing ones),
you will not notice any difference and you should make SURE you can get
64-bit drivers for the Acer model you purchased and all hardware you
intend to use before you change. Also check with Acer to see if the
technical service available will be affected by the change. Probably not,
but be safe.

Colin Barnhorst

You cannot expect the 64bit version. You did not get the x64 version or
instructions to obtain it because you bought an OEM copy of Vista
preinstalled on your Acer. That's normal.

Both x86 and x64 editions are not included with OEM copies, just the one you
order preinstalled. Unlike the retail editions, you are not entitled to
both x86 and x64 versions. Retail boxes include the info for obtaining the
x64 dvd, but not OEM kits. If you want to run the x64 version contact your
vendor for instructions. The chances are you would need to purchase the
Vista x64 edition you want at retail. Unfortunately, this is the downside
of saving money by buying a computer with the OS preinstalled. The vendor
doesn't preinstall a retail version. He preinstalled a much less expensive
OEM version.

You can use a Vista x64 upgrade edition and do not have to buy a full
edition, but migrating from x86 to x64 will require that you perform a
"custom install" which will not preserve your files, settings, or apps. An
upgrade edition can perform such a custom install. You just won't be able
to upgrade-in-place (upgrade the bits). The "upgrade install" option will
be disabled because, as others have pointed out, it is not possible to
upgrade-in-place from any x86 to any x64 operating system.

The best course would be to use the Windows Easy Transfer wizard in the
preinstalled Vista to save your files and settings to external media, such
as a cd or dvd, and then run the wizard again after you have migrated to
x64. You will need to reinstall your apps. You will also need to download
the Vista x64 drivers and utilities from Acer and write them to a cd before
you start the migration process.

Nick K

OK, the x64 AMD processor I have is dual core. I installed the dual-core
"gadget" but it only shows Core1 processing, the Core2 is always 0.

Does the gadget not recognize the second core or is there a problem with the
32 bit Vista not recognizing this processor's second core?

Colin Barnhorst

You may need to download the cpu driver from the AMD website and install it.
You should be seeing both cores as "logical cpu's" in Task Manager on the
Performance tab. I run an AMD x64 x2 also and don't have the issue. 32bit
Vista can see and use all the cores on your processor. If you had a
quad-core you would see four logical processors in Task Manager. It is
supposed to just work.

Mike Hall - MS MVP

Colin

I wasn't trying to suggest that 64bit required 4gb and no less to run, and I
fully accept that 64bit is the future, but I fail to see the point of home
and small office users installing it onto a $100 4gb max mobo just to run a
bunch of 32bit apps.. it isn't going to increase wpm rate.. :)

I can see the point of installing it onto a mobo with the capability of more
than 4gb max, and running with mission critical 64bit applications mixed
with 32bit flotsam and jetsam..

Colin Barnhorst said:
I have to disagree with the 4GB part of your post, Mike. I do think 64bit
likes at least 2GB but I don't think the 64bit OS is either "targeted" at
anyone in particular or has to have 4GB or more to be useful. 64bits is
the future of Windows and both hardware and software will grow into it, but
I see it as a general OS.

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Nick K

I looked again and the processor is an AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology. It
is a dual core. I don't see two cores running and I don't see a Vista driver
on the AMD website.

Alfred Kaufmann

It is the "X2" that makes the difference.

I looked again and the processor is an AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology. It
is a dual core. I don't see two cores running and I don't see a Vista driver
on the AMD website.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Nick,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

I'd like to appreciate all guys' information and experience sharing here.
For more information about 64 bit Windows Vista, please refer to:
64-bit Editions of Windows Vista
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/64bit.mspx

932795: Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/en-us

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support