64 bit AMD pro's and con's ?

Neil Maxwell

Bug them to do it in my neck-o-the-(back)-woods. ;-)

I don't know why they don't list these events on their web page. I
only found out because they had it posted at one of the ranges I go
to.
Which is why I'm leaning to the 9mm instead of a .45ACP. $8/box rather
than $16ish, with the .40 somewhere in between.

Yep, my 1911 is one of my favorites, but it's expensive to feed.
Walmart sells Winchester 9mm for $11/100, which is about as cheap as
it gets for brass-cased 9mm ammo (all they let us shoot at the local
indoor range). .40's getting pretty affordable, but I don't like the
sharp recoil as much as 9mm or .45.

It's the .45 and the .357 that make me want to take up reloading, if I
only had the spare time and space...
Pricey? Well I got mine from Santa :), but it was about the same price
($425) as its little brother (617) I bought later for plinking. The
only difference between the 617 is the calibre (obviously), front
sight, and the .22 weighs an ounce more. Other than that they're
identical.

Heh! That's less than they sell for used around here. California has
some "safety" laws that are designed to kill the used gun market, and
they work very well. Handguns have to be on the approved list, so if
it's not a 686-6, you can't get one from out of state or from any
dealer, only from a private party. It's a typical case of using fuzzy
"safety" thinking to restrict gun rights.

I shot the 617 at their demo day too, and it was also very nice, if
also a bit pricy!
Really? I have friends who swear by Blackhawks (I don't believe I've
handled one). To each, I guess.

Mine's great, and is one of my best shooters, but it's not as crisp as
the older 686's. Still, it was half the price, so I'm pleased with
it.
As a Vermonter (Vermin?), it will change a *lot*. <rhetorical> CCW?
Why?! </rhetorical> Alaska finally joined us on that front. Though
Alaska will issue a CCW for use in reciprocal states, which I would
like as an option.

I'd like to see national CCW that overrides the state level, but I
don't think that's in the cards.

Oxford Systems

Steve H. said:
"steve h." <[email protected]> wrote in message

Thanks to all of you for your time. My computer repair business friend...

This guy is in the computer business? Please, ask him to get out.
... is right at least 50% of the time,

So, you'd get similar quality advice from flipping a coin then.
but sometimes he tells me things
that I have trouble accepting. I'm not in IT, so I have no clue.

And apparently neither does he.
I'm
just a newbie who's learning.

Send your friend a copy of this thread. He has a lot to learn hisownself.

chrisv

Oxford Systems said:
This guy is in the computer business? Please, ask him to get out.

So, you'd get similar quality advice from flipping a coin then.

And apparently neither does he.

Send your friend a copy of this thread. He has a lot to learn hisownself.

Good post. 8)

Keith

I don't know why they don't list these events on their web page. I
only found out because they had it posted at one of the ranges I go
to.

I'll have to keep my ear closer to the ground. I would have thought that
my spies would have allerted me to such a wonderland.
Yep, my 1911 is one of my favorites, but it's expensive to feed. Walmart
sells Winchester 9mm for $11/100, which is about as cheap as it gets for
brass-cased 9mm ammo (all they let us shoot at the local indoor range).
.40's getting pretty affordable, but I don't like the sharp recoil as
much as 9mm or .45.

Last I checked Dick's here had 9mm for $9, or some such (about the price
of .38+P)
It's the .45 and the .357 that make me want to take up reloading, if I
only had the spare time and space...

I can't be bothered. I've bought reloaded stuff at gun shows. What
absolute crap! It took me longer to clean the guns after than I spent
shooting. Gack!
Heh! That's less than they sell for used around here. California has
some "safety" laws that are designed to kill the used gun market, and
they work very well.

Well, these were *new* prices. The 686 may have ben $450, but no more
than that.
Handguns have to be on the approved list, so if
it's not a 686-6, you can't get one from out of state or from any
dealer, only from a private party. It's a typical case of using fuzzy
"safety" thinking to restrict gun rights.

Not surprising. All of the gun-grabbbbers use fuzzy thinking (if any).
I shot the 617 at their demo day too, and it was also very nice, if also
a bit pricy!

Like I said, I paid $425 for my 617. I *do* like it. It'll drive tacks.
I alos have a BuckMark (my wife gave me for an anneversary a couple of
years ago) that will drive tacks. BTW, I'll keep the wife (of 33
years) too. ;-)

I'd like to see national CCW that overrides the state level, but I don't
think that's in the cards.

Agreed! I'd like to be able to even *transport* weapons across state
lines. ...even if unloaded. ...even with no ammunition! Dumb, dumb,
dumb!

Keith

I used to have one of those. Same barrel length and everything. Nice
gun. Sold it. Should have kept it. For the reasons you state, if
someone is only going to own one handgun, a .357 should be it (unless
one needs something smaller for carrying). Plus, the
not-much-to-go-wrong simplicity of revolvers is nice.

Exactly the reason I decided on the .357. Good compromise, big bang,
cheap to feed, and deadly as hell (should that be necessary).
One thing I found out the hard way, is that if you're going to get one
of the newfangled plastic guns, that powerful loads are a real handfull,
with so little weight to help with recoil. Shooting a .357 Mag out of a
big gun like the 686 is a lot more comfortable than shooting a .40 out
of a plastic semi-auto. I've not tried a .45, but I think a "wimpy" 9mm
is best for the plastic guns...

I rather figured as much. Some time back I shot a friend's 1911 and it
wasn't as "barky" as my 686. It was a handfull, without a doubt, but
didn't cause any undue pain. One of the most fun-guns I've shot
recently was a 44-40 (IIRC). ...no bark there at all, just a gentle whoosh
back one one's heels! ;-) The owner was amazed that I hit the target
with it, first time out. Fun, fun, fun!

Damn, Now I gotta get my club membership renewed so I can go play some
more.