5in1 internal memory card reader problem

Reaction score
it arrived this morning its a under a fiver five in 1 memory card reader made by i dont even know who by

I installed it correctly meaning i screwed it into my chiftech case! it looks v v nice

but the problem

on the end i have two cables ends one end with usb1 and the other with usb2
i looked on my motherboard it said that usb2 was the connector . so i connected it to the motherboard and turn my pc on,

INTANSTLY ITS SMOKES COMES OUT FROM THIS PORT IM SURE ITS THAT PORT, SO I TURNED OFF MY PC VERY QUICKLY, I THINK IM SURE THAT IF IDA LEFT IT ON MORE THERE COULD HAVE BEEN A FIRE.

so im lost now, this device has a power led light which seems not to come on
any suggestions? is there a certain way i need to connect this usb connector to my motherboard?!!?

any suggestions will be welcome!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Very silly question, but what did the manual say? I think there is only one way to connect a USB cable to your motherboard, as one pin is blacked out.

Did the smoke come from your motherboard? :eek:

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Very silly question, but what did the manual say? I think there is only one way to connect a USB cable to your motherboard, as one pin is blacked out.

Did the smoke come from your motherboard? :eek:

there is no real manual just a bit of paper not very conclusive

yes this smoke i saw was def coming from my mobo!

this is biazzare btw i made an error it cost me £11 not <£5 like i stated before:
looks like i may have lost 11quid!
damn shame!#

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If smoke came from your motherboard, you may have blown the USB controller - I know someone who did the same thing when connecting it incorrectly :(

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
If smoke came from your motherboard, you may have blown the USB controller - I know someone who did the same thing when connecting it incorrectly :(

wonderful! well done psd99!!!

so there is an incorrect way of instaling the usb connector! how the **** is a git like me supposed to know this if this is the case!

so what now?

no way i can get this thing to work is there! but god god forbid my motherboard will it be alrite? it works like normal!

very upset what now u reckon?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The "pin connector" to the MB has too many earths (black).

This is not easy to explain, but I'll try.

Your MB header was not USB 2 but rather the second USB port, but that was not the problem and you should find no damage done to that port.

However, the connector from the card reader has to many earth cables ... if you look at it from underneath there should be a blank, one of the holes is blocked so you can only fit it one way round, but, I bet you there is an earth cable going into that blank, which is piggybacked onto another black earth.

... I'll see if I can find a diagram.

:thumb:

Reaction score
thanks let me try to explain to u

there is a usb port on the motherboard
it does say usb2 but i also dont think this means the speed of usb2.0
what i think it means is that there are two usb ports here which are both 1.0

so the top one has 4 pins on it
the bottom one has 5 pins on it!

Sir Mucks if smoke came out does this mean i incorrectly installed them? what should i do?
im confused

Reaction score
please see these pics!

sorry about the quality!

this explains my last post

Attachments

• Psd031.jpg
    Psd031.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 399
  • Psd032.jpg
    Psd032.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 449
  • Psd033.jpg
    Psd033.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 468

muckshifter

Reaction score
I see you need to find the "macro mode" on your camera. LoL :p

However, it is a little plainer for me ... most of the better card readers pay a little more attention to detail and supply ONE solid block-connector. This is fine because on a newer type MB the USB pin-out is the same, and more important has a blocked pin so you can only fit it one-way-round.

Your card reader has, what we would term, an older block connector ... in that it is easy to fit the wrong-way-round ... your pic shows you where the Red-pin wire 1 should go on the MB. Your MB manual, and if you can read the MB etching, should tell you which is pin-1.

Now, if there is an extra black cable in pin 5 it needs snipping off, we don’t need or use it on a PCs USB.

Be aware that you have 500mA running off any USB … I still think you did NO damage. Well I hope no damage was done.

:thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Standard USB header Layout: (used by over 90% of motherboards)

... and MB wiring.

NOTE: We DO NOT use shell/shield/drain wire.

Attachments

• usb_pinout.jpg
    usb_pinout.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 399
  • usb pinout2.jpg
    usb pinout2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 551
Reaction score
thanks

rite looking on the two connectors that come off of the card reader i have:

VCC1 which is a red wire
USB1- which is white wire
USB1+ which is green wire
GND1 which is black

the other connector
VCC2 which is red wire
USB2- which is white
USB2+ which is green wire
GND2 which is a black wire

I have this other usb connector which allows me to put two usb porrts on the back of the computer now what u said about the 5pin and the 4pin connectors together is now making sense, with this connector there is only one way i can connect it to my motherboard.

Now with regards to the memory card reader looking in my manual PIN1 is called VCC so both pin 1 is VCC1 and VCC2 from what ive seen so far and what uve told me i think i am going to have to connect both of these connectors to the motherboard.

Sir Mucks, I am doing this operation rite now as i type with my pc on! At the moment I do not see any changes or any led on the card reader. Would it make a difference if i turned off my pc and tried this? and is there anything i need to change in bios?

I suspect right now a fault in either my motherboard or the card reader itself, in which case i ought to push for a refund v quickly

thanks

muckshifter

Reaction score
Oh dear, I never work "live" on a MB ... even if USB is supposed to be "hot-swappable" ... it does however look as though some damage may have been done. :( hopefully not to the MB.

All the 1s go together as one USB and all the 2s as the other ... you may need to ascertain from your MB manual if they both run the same way as in the diagram above. One set will be used power up the reader so you will need to connect both leads ... but correctly. ;)

If it still will not work, return it.

Reaction score
bad news i tried this internal usb connector which fits on the back of the pc which will provice two extra usb ports, these im sure work but when i connected them to this motherboard there was no output

looks like this motherboards usb connectors r knackered

im going to try out this internal card reader on another motherboard i will post back my findings
lets hope there is no smoke this time, i will have to connect them properly this time!!!!!

this is probably the most confusing thing for me with pcs for 2 months and it looks so simple!
bloddy internal usb ports r a big no no for me from now on!!!!

thanks for ur help so far
greatky appreciated

Reaction score
well here i am 2 months later, inspired by KGB!
im going to try this card reader on another machine.!!!

wish me luck

Reaction score
im just reading these posts to see how on earth i should connect them!

Reaction score
damn! just took me so long to take out the card reader and as a result my chiftech case's cover will not go in from the left hand side!!!!
damn

Ask a Question