50 Places Linux is Running That You Might Not Expect

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.focus.com/fyi/information-technology/50-places-linux-running-you-might-not-expect/

A shameless plug I know. However it seems that GNU/Linux has and is being used by some very influential companies and organisations for quite a few years..
nod.gif

Anyone who says that GNU/Linux is not fit for daily use in the real world is living with their head up their arse :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've been aware that Linux is in widespread commercial use for some time.

In my opinion Linux is fine for the average user who has a rudimentary knowledge of a computer OS such as Windows but will run into a brick wall when encountering problems. Problems that the user could probably sort out themselves when they were using Windows, perhaps.

However, with the money saved on not buying licences from Microsoft most commercial users can probably easily afford some IT staff to give support to their staff.

And I suppose that as people using Linux OS's on a daily basis become familiar with it, they will gain knowledge and go on to sort their own problems.

This is a good thing and despite my criticism of Linux - in my opinion completely justified, obviously ;) - it's warming to see Microsoft's greedy monopoly being nibbled away at.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yep, myself, I would like to see any Home User install Red Hat or Fedora to their PCs and then install a game of their choice ... anybody who thinks Linux is for the home masses is living with their head up their ass ... just ask Dell. :nod:

Big business will always find ways to cut corners to maximise profit ... :D

:user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Quite a few of those places mentioned were educational based with deployments of over 100,000 seats.An that was just the ones they mentioned ;)

It may come as a surprise to you guys but not every one plays super modern games on their pc :D Out of the twenty pc's around me only one of them is used for FPS. Some of the others do play games but nothing that a GNU/Linux box couldn't handle.
nod.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
It may come as a surprise to you guys but not every one plays super modern games on their pc :D

No surprise.

I'm in touch with the real world enough to know that the majority of PC's, 'IBM' Mac & Linux, are in essence glorified Word processors.

I also know that most Linux distros, when used purely with pre-installed software, will be more stable and perform quicker than any Windows OS.

But, and this is a big but, I'm also aware that when Linux goes fubar, it does so in a much bigger way than Windows and your average Joe will not be able to fix it whereas most people with only a passing knowledge of Windows will be able to fix things.

As for games, let's face it, Linux is NOT a gaming platform. All games that run on Linux without the aid of WINE are, in my opinion, a bit crap.

What really does bemuse/irritate me though, is people who will try and promote Linux as the best thing since sliced bread and try and convince people to use it. It may be free and Windows may cost money, but those very facts translate to user friendliness.

Linux DOES have a place, I think it's great but I will never, ever, try and pull the wool over people's eyes about how damn awkward it can be to configure and how it's complete tosh as a gaming platform.

Windows is actually the largest game platform there is, bigger than all of the consoles individually with more gaming titles available than any console. Games are the reason I made a computer in the first place.

Time after time on this forum I read of members trying Linux and giving up on the first hurdle. Ever wondered why? It's possibly because it's different to Windows but mostly because it's awkward to do some things and Linux is a non-starter when it comes to decent games.

However.

As I've commented on in the Mint thread, in my opinion Linux has now reached a position where it can do about 90% of Windows tasks straight out of the box, it's fast, looks good and is actually easy to use in most areas.

It's getting there, let's wish it luck & success.

But. Blindly promoting one OS over another without acknowledging all good points and weaknesses can actually have the effect of putting people off.

Balanced views. Pros and cons. This is what we want.

And to leave, one final point:

Windows 7 Home Premium OEM from selected online suppliers: £65.00 plus telephone activation on reinstall.

Linux Mint/Mandriva/Fedora/Ubuntu/Slackware et al: Sweet nothing, no activation.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Aw crap... I know there is a hook inside this particular worm... but I'll bite:

floppybootstomp said:
I'm in touch with the real world enough to know that the majority of PC's, 'IBM' Mac & Linux, are in essence glorified Word processors.
Surely it isn't that black & white (typewriter vs. pinball machine and nothing in between).

As for games, let's face it, Linux is NOT a gaming platform. All games that run on Linux without the aid of WINE are, in my opinion, a bit crap.
True. As long as there are no/few "native" games available, it is NOT a gaming platform. Plus, WINE is a last-ditch solution at best – for ANYTHING.

But, and this is a big but, I'm also aware that when Linux goes fubar, it does so in a much bigger way than Windows and your average Joe will not be able to fix it whereas most people with only a passing knowledge of Windows will be able to fix things.

What really does bemuse/irritate me though, is people who will try and promote Linux as the best thing since sliced bread and try and convince people to use it. It may be free and Windows may cost money, but those very facts translate to user friendliness.
Now then... this is one of my favourites. Catch-22. I could argue that Joe Average (Esq.) "fixes" Windows by letting his 13-year-old nephew (or Jethro... they frequent the same pub) fix it. The odds for the nephew (or Jethro) "knowing" anything about Linux are slim. But increasing.

Furthermore (let me borrow your style sheet for a moment here): what really bemuses/irritates me is that familiarity (or an illusion thereof) is defined as user friendliness. (Hey, it's 9:40 AM and I have a hangover, so please interpret this accordingly.)

Games are the reason I made a computer in the first place.

Time after time on this forum I read of members trying Linux and giving up on the first hurdle. Ever wondered why? It's possibly because it's different to Windows but mostly because it's awkward to do some things and Linux is a non-starter when it comes to decent games.
Two separate issues:

1. Apples are different from oranges. For novice users a "HOWTO: Peeling and Slicing" is recommended – or there will be some initial mess.

2. There must be a reason why there isn't a popular dessert called Orangenstrudel.

2½. Yes. No games. You gamer. Moi nicht. But we both enjoy beer.

Plus, for a novice user, joining a friendly Linux forum might not be a bad idea.

Balanced views. Pros and cons. This is what we want.
This is the real challenge. We all bring our preferences – past and present – bla bla bla and so on to the mix. (Gamer/Non-Gamer, Point-and-click/Command line, Eye candy/Minimalistic...).

Is a chair beautiful? Is a chair comfortable? Erm... your eyes brown or blue? Your arse size again?

--Urmas, head up his arse (wonder what'd happen if I swallowed...)

Ask a Question