42" 1080p

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Want a new TV , These are the specs i want ...42" 1080p ...whats the best/cheapest ???? .Brands i like are Samsung..LG...Panasonic..
does anyone have 1 to recommend or have seen one that they would consider buying..

I have looked at these ..
1.Acoustic Solutions 42" 1080P Digital LCD TV
2.Toshiba 42XV555DB 42" HD-Ready 1080P LCD TV

would prefer under £600 but whats the best ..????

nb links in the numbers 1 and 2 :)

Reaction score
not heard of the first one plus the whole idea of having such a tv is so it's streamlined? the first one is ugly with the horrible bottom bezel attached. I take it thats for the speakers? YUKK

However Tosh i do recommend. Slim elegant and classic tech. Always liked tosh stuff too. decent connection spec too

you know my choice then ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Deffo the Tosh out of those two.

And it's a good price right now but I'd wait until at least January, possibly February to buy.

I have a feeling 2009 will see flat screen TV prices fall and especially so on 768 res models.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Out of stock though at most places but
John Lewis are doing a pretty good deal with a Toshiba DVD for £636
sorry but google chrome has made PC review site very different ...can`t add a link or smillie

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks TD

whats gonna sway me is the following

HDMI sockets
Contrast ratio (bigger the better)
prefarably 100hz ( has 24fps)

1080P is more future proof than 1080i and normal 1080

and cost ...so will stretch budget if cost increases slightly

so all in all the Toshiba i linked too is getting hard to beat at this time..

Last edited:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Had a look at the John Lewis site, yeah sorry that s the same TV i linked too, doh, as i said in my post thats the 42" version of the TV i have, but a £636 with a DVD player included is cheap as chips, i paid £630 for the 37" 3 months ago when the 42" was £800.

Bargain.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
OK point taken
Or Dixons (same i suppose) £549
and Pixmania at £539

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Well i bought it today and its design is spectacular (and screen), it is 1080P ,100hz, a contrast ratio of 50000:1 , pcmia slot , 4 HDMI SLOTS , etc etc Soooooooooooo user friendly..needs attention my end like gold plated scarts and HDMI cables...but hey can get HDMI for £3 or spend £70 for a belkin but Digital is Digital ..right.

All for £549 :) am well chuffed ..pics coming soon

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I am this close to buying that LG myself but as I have absolutely zero work on atm I'm going to be all sensible and keep my money to pay bills should no work be forthcoming for the next month or two. Which happens sometimes, unfortunately.

Still, can't complain, have been working steadily since May until two weeks ago, so not bad.

I think I'd actually rather buy from Currys, Dixons, PC World et al than online as it's usually easier to get an exchange or refund should things go belly up, none of that waiting in for couriers or having to send something back yourself.

And an LCD telly is a big thing to return.

And PC World, for one, has always been excellent at handling returns, exchanges and faulty products in my experience.

Reaction score
Rush said:
Well i bought it today and its design is spectacular (and screen), it is 1080P ,100hz, a contrast ratio of 50000:1 , pcmia slot , 4 HDMI SLOTS , etc etc Soooooooooooo user friendly..needs attention my end like gold plated scarts and HDMI cables...but hey can get HDMI for £3 or spend £70 for a belkin but Digital is Digital ..right.

All for £549 :) am well chuffed ..pics coming soon

Look forward to the pics for HDMI cables - if you got a zavvi store near you they got this deal:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/303709/hdmi-2m-braided-cable-was-10-now-3-/

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By Flops
I'm going to be all sensible and keep my money to pay bills should no work be forthcoming for the next month or two.

Little consolation m8 but i went with Cash with a reserved slot, but took out 10 months interest free credit ...£54 deposit and ........

well worth it :) . i needed to upgrade and this was too much to resist :wave:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good buy you got there Rush :thumb: I'm very jealous :lol:

I went to look at one of these yesterday too, as our TV must be almost 10 years old now (but going strong). Couldn't justify it in the end as we don't have Sky or Blueray, so can't make the most of the HD goodness... really want one though. :nod:

Once we move in a couple of years and upgrade to something that can actually play HD, I think I'll take the plunge.

I just know our old TV is going to go belly up soon and I'll be kicking myself :rolleyes:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
The HD concept is a grrrrrrrrrrr..we have a Pacific "Asda" £17 DVD player and no other HD player.. ,have not connected the afformentoined yet so do not know what quality it holds ... am looking at HD players as Woolworths have "give" me a HDMI cable for £4 today :( .

A 1080P upscaling Toshiba player
is here for £49 cheapest i have seen ....any comments with delivery???

here is the link

http://www.electricshop.com/DVD-Players/Toshiba-SD480E-Region-2-DVD-Player-in-Black/invt/sd480e

it has upscaling to 1080P ..for the price is it good ????

Ask a Question